It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:23

Look - no wires !!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Look - no wires !!

Postby 9fingers » 01 May 2017, 16:55

chataigner wrote:
9fingers wrote:
Do you know if you are billed for Watts or VA in France?

Cheers

Bob

Just done the research, it seems domestic customers are only billed for kW, but industrial tarifs are more complex with penalties for average and also peak power factor values.

OK just the same as in UK then.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 01 May 2017, 18:17

Don't forget, David, that although your fridge and freezer have their power permanently on, they only consume power when they need to cold the insides down.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 06 May 2017, 17:49

As promised, some measurements on the power consumed but these switch receivers.
The power levels were too low for my el cheapo power meter to register so I had to make some estimates based on voltage and current measurements so not high precision stuff but near enough.

With the unit powered up but in the "off" state the Power consumed is 5 va and 500mW. Switched to the "on" state, the power rises to 10va and 1w
That is 2000hrs per kWh when off and 1000 hrs per kWh when switched on
4.4kWh per year off and 8.8 when on.

All in all very cheap to run for a few units around the home but starting to become significant if used throughout the house.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 07 Jun 2017, 08:42

Just wondering. When the electrician comes along and does his tests, any danger of zapping these since they are permanently connected to L and N ? Must ask mine when he comes tomorrow.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 Jun 2017, 09:05

RogerS wrote:Just wondering. When the electrician comes along and does his tests, any danger of zapping these since they are permanently connected to L and N ? Must ask mine when he comes tomorrow.

He possibly won't know either. I would suggest you pull the little fuses in each receiver just to be sure.
The input circuitry is not dissimilar to what would be found in a fluorescent or LED energy saving lamp but those would be normally switched off when testing.

Incidentally I have been using two out of the three I bought daily and they are 'kin magic. Swmbo sits in mission control (her armchair) with the three way switch on the coffee table and the tv remotes. When the curtains auto close at dusk, she can switch on the lighting in the room with ease.

Good luck with the tests

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby HappyHacker » 07 Jun 2017, 23:51

I have used Lightwave products with success but they do need a small cell in the transmitter but from experience I know they last for well over a year and probably in excess of two years. They do a very full range of remotes, dimmers, relays and home automation stuff as well as LED compatible dimmers.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby RogerS » 23 Feb 2018, 07:34

9fingers wrote:.....
So if for any reason the command does not get through, the mechanical position of the switch will have changed but the receiver will not. So the OFF position becomes the ON position and vice versa. .....

Bob

This has happened here. Bought some receivers to let SWMBO turn on an outside security light from inside the kitchen. As I'd got a couple of receivers I also bought a 3-gang switch. Knowing how 'challenged' she is when it comes to 'which switch does what' I programmed all three switches to turn on the same receiver.

But now on one of them the signal didn't get through and so it's opposite to the other two and I'm not sure how to fix it.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Feb 2018, 09:01

Pull the fuse on the circuit at the cu or pull the fuse on the reciever itself and move all the switches to the "off" position that you desire. Refit the fuse and all should be well.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 23 Feb 2018, 13:06

Thanks, Bob. Worked a treat.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Feb 2018, 13:20

RogerS wrote:Thanks, Bob. Worked a treat.

Good I was pretty confident. You just need to stop them communicating by any means whilst you get the switch in the correct mechanical position as the wireless command simply says "change" rather than "on" or "off"
The other way would be to unclip the switch off the wall and take it for a walk round the estate out of radio range.

I have a similar problem with a light level operated curtain closer which does not know if the curtains are open or closed. a change of light level just causes the motor to run and it stops when the little motor stalls. They can get out of step on a greyish winter afternoon when it gets cloudy and then the sun comes out shortly after. It has something like a 20 minute timeout after being triggered before it will run again.
The design is just cheapened by not having open and closed sensors feeding back to the controls.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat