It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:03

If you bought a Used Car ...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

If you bought a Used Car ...

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2017, 09:56

....from an Audi dealership and read this webpage here, when would you expect to next have it serviced ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: If you bought a Used Car ...

Postby Rod » 27 Apr 2017, 10:09

It says it's been checked but doesn't say anything about being serviced - just provides full service history.
So next service will depend on that.
My car tells me when next service is due every time I switch on (currently in 10k miles time so that would be after 17k in total)

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2017, 10:15

Possibly I"ve led the conclusion by specifically asking about servicing.

My take when I read the page was that it was. After all, a '145 exacting checks'? Oh look, it's got four wheels...that's 4 of the 145 exacting check.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 27 Apr 2017, 13:36

RogerS wrote:Possibly I"ve led the conclusion by specifically asking about servicing.

My take when I read the page was that it was. After all, a '145 exacting checks'? Oh look, it's got four wheels...that's 4 of the 145 exacting check.

My new to me used Skoda (from the same stable) had something very similar about checks but no service.

These cars monitor the users driving style and adjust the service interval. Mine has done 16k from new and advising the FIRST service to be in 38 days or 3500 miles whichever comes first.
This will be its first oil change.EEK!
I remember the days of running a new engine in, driving like a nun and the first oil service at 500miles mainly rinse the swarf out the engine. Oil drain plugs had magnets in them and yes they did attract little bits of metal.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby 9fingers » 27 Apr 2017, 13:37

9fingers wrote:
RogerS wrote:Possibly I"ve led the conclusion by specifically asking about servicing.

My new to me used Skoda (from the same stable) had something very similar about checks by the dealership but no service.

These cars monitor the users driving style and adjust the service interval. Mine has done 16k from new and advising the FIRST service to be in 38 days or 3500 miles whichever comes first.
This will be its first oil change.EEK!
I remember the days of running a new engine in, driving like a nun and the first oil service at 500miles mainly rinse the swarf out the engine. Oil drain plugs had magnets in them and yes they did attract little bits of metal.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 27 Apr 2017, 14:38

My Octavia came with 2 years free servicing. Turned out that was one service just before the 2 years was up. I had it 10 years on variable service intervals and no problems.... not many services either.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Woodster » 27 Apr 2017, 15:10

The reliability ratings for 2013 put Audi as the second most unreliable brand of car you could buy with an engine failure rate of 1 in 27. Top of the tree with a failure rate of 1in 365 was Honda.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 27 Apr 2017, 15:26

That's what McLaren thought!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 27 Apr 2017, 15:34

Woodster wrote:The reliability ratings for 2013 put Audi as the second most unreliable brand of car you could buy with an engine failure rate of 1 in 27. Top of the tree with a failure rate of 1in 365 was Honda.

I seem to recall there was a particular engine design or batch of engines that drank oil and only after a long fight did Audi admit a degree of responsibility and contribute to the cost for repairs.

That one event would have severely skewed the stats for a few years.

Before I got my Skoda, I looked at a 64 plate Audi A4 that seemed drive well but was blowing oil fumes out of the oil filler hole. The dealer said "oh they all do that" but he would wouldn't he? I walked away

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2017, 16:50

My Q3 now says next service due in two years :) (having had a 'discussion' with the dealer).

Have to admit to having a silly grin every time I drive it.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 27 Apr 2017, 19:42

Did you have all the gizmos taken off?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 28 Apr 2017, 10:08

9fingers wrote:
I seem to recall there was a particular engine design or batch of engines that drank oil and only after a long fight did Audi admit a degree of responsibility and contribute to the cost for repairs.
Bob

John Cadogan on YouTube says the current Audi Q7 drinks 8 Litres of Urea per 1000 kilometres of driving, ouch! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Apr 2017, 10:39

Woodster wrote:
9fingers wrote:
Bob

John Cadogan on YouTube says the current Audi Q7 drinks 8 Litres of Urea per 1000 kilometres of driving, ouch! :lol:

How??? What does it do with it…?

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Phil » 28 Apr 2017, 11:58

9fingers wrote:

Bob

Our first VW bus was a flat 4 cylinder 2.1i which used about a pint per 3000km The flat 4's were known for oil consumption.

The second was a 2.5i Caravelle with the 5 cylinder audi engine and the third one was a 2.6i again with the 5 cylinder Audi engine.
These were mounted North-South and at an angle at the back.
Oil consumption was a consistent 1 pint per approx 1500km.
If I recall correctly it was mentioned in the owners manual.

The 2.1 we did 160,000km
The 2.5 we did 180,000km
The 2.6 we did 270,000km

Service costs are expensive (VW parts are made from pure gold-titanium :cry: ) but there were no major repairs on any of them except for the clutch on the 2.5 which required replacing - reversing the caravan up the driveway into the garage.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 28 Apr 2017, 12:04

Rod wrote:Did you have all the gizmos taken off?

Rod

Ah, that's another story. I was actually disappointed with the lack of gizmo's. I didn't realise that so much of an Audi is down to add-ons at time of purchase. So even 'basic' things like cruise control are an optional extra. I kind of made the assumption that it would come with gizmo's but my fault for not asking at the outset. If I had done then I'd probably not bought the car.

Thing is petrol versions were like hens teeth so really Hobson's Choice.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 28 Apr 2017, 15:27

TrimTheKing wrote:
How??? What does it do with it…?

Mark

I believe the Urea removes diesel particulates from the exhaust fumes but I don't know how it's done?
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat