It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:52

Washing machines for a cold wash

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Washing machines for a cold wash

Postby Deejay » 19 May 2017, 06:21

Morning all

I'm looking for a replacement for an AEG machine which does a cold wash. Not a cool wash, a cold wash.

Does anyone out there know if such machines still exist?

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by Deejay on 19 May 2017, 10:56, edited 2 times in total.
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Re: Washing macines for a cold wash

Postby Phil » 19 May 2017, 06:52

Dave, we have an LG top loader which has the fittings to run on hot & cold. Must be 12 yrs old by now.

We only use the cold connection - cold wash.

Machine runs like a dream, fuzzy logic, whatever that is.

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 19 May 2017, 08:00

Deejay wrote:Morning all

I'm looking for a replacement for an AEG machine which does a cold wash. Not a cool wash, a cold wash.

Does anyone out there know if such machines still exist?

Cheers

Dave

Most of the Miele machines do a cold water only delicate wash. Not sure if the missus has ever used it though.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 19 May 2017, 08:21

This might give a couple of clues from the euronics website
Bob

WHEN TO USE COLD WATER

Are you conscious of the environment? Do you like to keep your energy bills as low as possible?

Washing machines that have cold water cycles are great for looking after the planet as well as your pocket.

Advances in washing machines and laundry detergents mean that you can now get your clothes clean and fresh again at temperatures as low as 20 or 30°C.

Cold water cycles are perfect for brightly coloured items that are likely to bleed, lightly soiled items, woollens and delicates.

Samsung ecobubble™ washing machines froth the detergent before the cycle starts, creating cleansing bubbles which clean your clothes quicker. This means you can wash clothes as effectively in cool water as you would in warm water, while saving energy.

Zanussi also offers a Mix 20° programme, where you can wash cottons, synthetics and colours together.
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Deejay » 19 May 2017, 09:29

Morning all

Thanks for the replies.

Phil, if your machine uses fuzzy logic it mut be fairly modern by my standards :D

I've had two AEG Lavamats in thirty five years. I don't think there is a semiconductor anywhere in them, let alone a processor. Everything is controlled by a motor driven multi bank rotary switch with real metal contacts which means that you can fault them with a mulimeter, rather than a laptop running the manufacturers software. (The current version of my Bosch tumble drier needs a laptop to reset the overheat facility. A little button wouldn't possibly do now, would it?)

Thanks for the Eurolinks suggestion Bob. I'll look into the Ecobubble thing.

Andy, I'll have a mooch round the Miele site. The problem is there doesn't seem to be a consistent definition of "cold". Some sites suggest 27 degrees C. Eh?

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby Rod » 19 May 2017, 10:33

We have a Miele but I don't think we run the cold cycle.
My wife gives it a very hot run now and then to flush the tubes out - advice from Miele as we live in a very had water area.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Washing machines for a cold wash

Postby Deejay » 19 May 2017, 11:40

Morning Rod

I've just been into the local Homemaker / Euronics shop and it appears that the stonecold option is no longer available. 20 degrees seems to be the minimum temperature, now that we're all supposed to be environmentally correct.

The machine caught me out yesterday when it 'finished'. I opened the door and, much to my surprise, the thing was full of water. How I laughed.

When the pump starts, there is a grinding noise for a couple of seconds. I think it may be something in the pump. It could be limescale. It could just be knackered. Our water is also really hard and the machine has been running here for five years.

Espares do a replacement for £20 so I might order one.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby RogerS » 19 May 2017, 13:45

Deejay wrote:.....
When the pump starts, there is a grinding noise for a couple of seconds. .....

Cheers

Dave

You remember those screws you popped into your workjean pockets ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Deejay » 19 May 2017, 15:06

Hello Roger

You remember those screws you popped into your workjean pockets ?

That's the trouble. These days I dont. :?

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby Phil » 19 May 2017, 15:17

Deejay wrote:Phil, if your machine uses fuzzy logic it mut be fairly modern by my standards :D

Dave

Dave, we bought the LG on 12 October 2002 for ZAR3,249.00 from PnP Hypermarket

I have kept the invoice for insurance purposes (proof of purchase)

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby kirkpoore1 » 20 May 2017, 05:20

Wow. Its like you guys live in a whole other country, or even continent. Our washers give a few options on temps, usually cold wash/cold rinse, hot wash/cold rinse, and warm/warm. Actual temps are not specified, they depend on what your water heater supplies for the hot side. All washers have incoming hot & cold hoses.

On the other hand, if something breaks its going to cost a lot more than £20....

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Deejay » 20 May 2017, 08:15

Morning all

You have had your money's worth out of it then Phil.

I don't think any of the modern UK machines have a hot fill facility Kirk.

At the moment, I'm under instructions from SWMBO not to touch it it tlll she returns from a family visit.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby DaveL » 20 May 2017, 09:38

We have an LG machine that only takes cold water and you can select a cold wash but its at least 4 years old and I don't know if they still make this model.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 20 May 2017, 09:45

I've had a read of my Miele manual and although you can select a "cold wash" it does not say if the water is heated to x° of if it is left at the infeed temperature.

What are you washing that is so temperature critical or are you just wanting to save pennies on water heating?
We wash silk socks and wollens on the 30° hand wash cycle (so I'm told ;) without any problems.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 20 May 2017, 10:32

You could ask on Mumsnet

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 20 May 2017, 10:32

I think most, if not all, European appliances have only a cold feed nowadays and that includes dishwashers.
Our 14yr? old Miele goes down to 30degrees but it prizes itself on using very little water.
A 50degree wash takes 1hr 30 mins and uses 0.5kW/hr

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 May 2017, 12:40

It is annoying that these appliances won't take hot fill as we have free stored hot water for nearly 9 months of the year. We end up having to time the washing for when the sun is shining to aim to get free electricity for real time water heating in the machine.

All it saves the makers is the price of a hose and a solenoid valve. I'm very tempted to connect the hot tap to the cold inlet sometimes.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 20 May 2017, 13:40

Our Bosch will wash at 20 C....any good ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 20 May 2017, 15:03

9fingers wrote:It is annoying that these appliances won't take hot fill as we have free stored hot water for nearly 9 months of the year. We end up having to time the washing for when the sun is shining to aim to get free electricity for real time water heating in the machine.

All it saves the makers is the price of a hose and a solenoid valve. I'm very tempted to connect the hot tap to the cold inlet sometimes.

Bob

Bob,

In many homes using the hot water can be very wasteful, the amount of water drawn often is mainly cold having stood in the pipe. Then the pipes are left full of newly heated water direct from the combi boiler that goes cold while the washing is being done.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 20 May 2017, 17:02

9fingers wrote:It is annoying that these appliances won't take hot fill as we have free stored hot water for nearly 9 months of the year. We end up having to time the washing for when the sun is shining to aim to get free electricity for real time water heating in the machine.

Bob

Are the taps that control the feed easily accessible Bob? You could join the hot feed to the cold feed and just control the two taps as necessary.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Deejay » 20 May 2017, 17:11

Afternoon all

I am now under orders not to touch it until SWMBO returns from a family visit. She seems to be attached to the thing. I can understand her reluctance to buy a replacement since it will most likely be inferior to the one we have. Stainless tub and drum. No Ethernet port. Simple proven German technology from forty odd years ago.

TBH changing the drain pump looks to be a bit of a pain. My knees are getting a bit old to be mauling washing machines about on my own, so I'll wait for the extra pair of hands.

If it comes to replacing it, Coley over on UKW has pointed to a Hotpoint machine which allows you to turn the heating to OFF, so there is at least one available. Good idea to pop into a John Lewis. I just need to find the right sales assitant.

Mumsnet is a good idea Roger. I could start a sharpening thread at the same time. :)

I like the idea of connecting to the hot water Bob. I've got a combi boiler with a user programmable pre-heat facility. Modern machines don't use a lot of water, so DaveL's point about heating the water in the supply pipe makes sense. If it comes to a replacement, I'll run a few tests.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 20 May 2017, 17:25

Andyp wrote:

Bob

Are the taps that control the feed easily accessible Bob? You could join the hot feed to the cold feed and just control the two taps as necessary.

And break the water regulations you mean?? No other water supply can be connected to incoming cold supply and risk contamination. :D
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 20 May 2017, 17:29

Then do what they do here ;)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Tusses » 21 May 2017, 11:21

Bob

I'm sure you could build a 2 way valve on a timer, so at least you get the 1st fill , or half a wash, with free hot water and the rest on cold ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 May 2017, 15:33

The problem with a low temp wash (30deg and below) is that it won't kill off all the nasty bacteria that cause so called 'clean' clothes to come out or the machine still ponging. We don't bother to sort out clothes prior to the wash (apart from jumpers and woolies) so it all goes in together. There used to be some stuff you could add to the wash to kill of the bugs but it's not been in the supermarcardos now for ages and the next best thing is Detol 'Laundry Cleanser' which does the same job - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat