It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:30

Plug adapters USA

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Plug adapters USA

Postby Andyp » 21 May 2017, 10:49

While looking at the FR to USA plug adapters in local shed here the other day it occured to me that with the number of appliances that we will take it would be easier to take a multi socket and put a US plug on it when we get there. Good idea or not?
I assume the voltage difference will not affect a multisocket.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Plug adapters USA

Postby Rod » 21 May 2017, 12:23

Sounds reasonable to me as long as the multi socket is not too bulky.
I've bought a lot of gear in the States so have quite a few US/fig 8 leads so use them on trips there.
Their multi socket extension leads are very compact so I use one over here (in reverse) during hospital stays.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 May 2017, 12:53

There are 5 of us Rod so we will nowhere near reach our baggage allowance, neither weight nor volume. Missus is confident we can manage with two large suitcases and 1 cabin bag each.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 21 May 2017, 13:40

Rather wait to buy a plug stateside why not take an all French multi socket and one adaptor. Then you are all ready to charge as soon as you land. Of course every thing you run over there must be universal or dual voltage.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 21 May 2017, 14:08

Thanks Bob, will probably do that I have plenty of multi sockets here. We wont be using it for anything other than the various chargers for phones, cameras and tablet all of which are dual voltage. I'll also be taking the car charger.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 21 May 2017, 19:45

Oooh..missed that one, Andy. Where are you off to ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 21 May 2017, 22:46

Will you be hit with the laptop/tablets ban flying to the States?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 22 May 2017, 06:23

RogerS wrote:Oooh..missed that one, Andy. Where are you off to ?

Pennsyvania and Virginia (Blue Ridge Mountains*) with 3 days in NYC on the way back

* Bet you cant get that song out if your head all day now :D

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 22 May 2017, 06:26

Rod wrote:Will you be hit with the laptop/tablets ban flying to the States?

Rod

At the moment no. Tablet ban only from certain middle eastern and high risk countries although there is a suggestion that this could be extended. Wouldn't take a laptop but would take the iPad. If both banned we can easily make do with the phones.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 22 May 2017, 08:17

What not Disney!?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 May 2017, 08:23

Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote:Oooh..missed that one, Andy. Where are you off to ?

Pennsyvania and Virginia (Blue Ridge Mountains*) with 3 days in NYC on the way back

* Bet you cant get that song out if your head all day now :D

Intriguing choice of destination. Relatives there ? Or a hiking holiday ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 22 May 2017, 09:09

Pennsylvania, York County, close enough to Washington and Philadelphia for day trips, the history bit at Gettysburg. Plenty of parks, amusements etc for kids.
Virginia for chilling out, Monterey, middle of large forests and mountains (rolling rather than rocky peaks) hopefully will give us a feel of small town America and still a days drive from New York.
Had to stop in New York for the experience ( and the cheaper flights). Will do the usual, ferry around the Statue of Liberty, Walk Brooklyn Bridge for the skyline view etc etc.

Hiring a 7 seater for the duration which bizarrely, compared to the more usual 3 seats in the middle row two at the back, seem to be commonly equipped with two seats in the middle and 3 at the back. Which when travelling with 3 kids, luggage and wheelchair is hardly convenient. Have checked all the models that Budget provide in that class I think only 2 out of 7 have the 3 seats in the middle. Have been told if we phone the day before they might be able to reserve specific model subject to availability of course.

Looking forward to it.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 22 May 2017, 09:19

Sounds like a great holiday, enjoy it! :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Rod » 22 May 2017, 10:44

The ferry to Staten Island is a free way of seeing the statue without the long queues.
Distances in the states are misleading especially their maps - Short distances turn out to be 300 miles!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 May 2017, 12:29

Sounds like a fascinating holiday and full of variety.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 24 May 2017, 23:11

Welcome and have a good trip, Andy. Yes, distances are longer than you might be used to. I live about 750 miles west of Gettysburg, and I'm still east of the Mississippi River. On the good side, gas is cheap--I paid $2.37 a gallon on Monday, and that's up from a few weeks ago.

As far as your seven seater--minivan or SUV? The reason that there's usually only two seats in the middle is because they're adult size seats, while the 3 in the back are usually smaller.

I had such a good time in England last year that I'm coming back this summer--I'm going to a medieval event at Raglan Castle in Wales. Only a week though so not much time for getting around like last year.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Andyp » 25 May 2017, 09:10

Hi Kirk, that's good news on the petrol, sorry gas, ;) prices. Less than half what we pay here. I think 750 miles might be a bit too far for a quick hello.

We are hiring from Budget in the Minivan class a Dodge Caravan, or similar. I see that they also do a Grand Caravan listed as an 8 seater which would have two rows of three. I guess we have to wait and see and tap them up before hand

I have not heard of Raglan Castle so just looked it up. It looks very atmospheric in a "classic" castle style

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 25 May 2017, 10:48

Yes I looked it up too - very late build 1430's and partially destroyed after the English Civil War. Cromwell (and Henry VIII) have a lot to answer for!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 29 May 2017, 07:43

Andyp wrote:

Rod

At the moment no. Tablet ban only from certain middle eastern and high risk countries although there is a suggestion that this could be extended. Wouldn't take a laptop but would take the iPad. If both banned we can easily make do with the phones.

Reading this mornings e-news, there is talk of extending the ban to all flights/countries.

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 29 May 2017, 07:46

Phil wrote:
Andyp wrote:

Rod

Reading this mornings e-news, there is talk of extending the ban to all flights/countries.

Phil

In light of BA's turmoil, I guess that it is a good reason to keep key documents in a cloud somewhere. Imagine being on a business trip. Laptop has to go in luggage. Luggage gets checked in. IT systems go TU. You can't get your baggage back. Ergo no laptop. You're stuffed.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 29 May 2017, 08:29

I don't quite understand why a laptop in the hold is less of a risk than one in the cabin. Not withstanding the very real risk of battery fires is it easier for the authorities to detect a suspicious package in the hold luggage than one being taken into the cabin?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 29 May 2017, 10:36

I've also read this could cause more danger with lithium battery's exploding in the holds. In the cabins they would be noticed and dealt with.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 29 May 2017, 20:11

Andyp wrote:I don't quite understand why a laptop in the hold is less of a risk than one in the cabin. Not withstanding the very real risk of battery fires is it easier for the authorities to detect a suspicious package in the hold luggage than one being taken into the cabin?

It's a terrorism thing. Allegedly somebody at ISIS is working on replacing a laptop battery with a bomb. I guess if it's in baggage it would be harder to trigger.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat