It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:40

Traffic!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Traffic!

Postby Rod » 30 May 2017, 00:40

The A35 is a mixture of single and dual cwy stretches, A31 2 lane duals.
If traffic is moving will take 1hr 20mins to reach M3.
Other routes very scenic, mainly windy single cwys with not many overtaking places so you could get stuck behind slow moving stuff.
Salisbury at the wrong time of day can be a pain to get around.
On Bob's last suggestion the A303 runs into the M3 at Popham
Check Google Maps traffic before starting to see if the fast route is ok.
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 30 May 2017, 11:06

Rod wrote:Salisbury at the wrong time of day can be a pain to get around.

Yep, especially round by the Technical College, but us locals know of ways round the bottle necks to beat the traffic - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 31 May 2017, 09:34

Malc2098 wrote:
RogerS wrote:Do they still have that misleading temporary motorway sign northbound on the M3 as you approach the M25 turn-off? It shows that there are TWO exits to the M25..the first to go clockwise and then the next exit a few hundred yards further on to go anti-clockwise.

The reality is that there is just the ONE exit with two lanes. The number of near misses as people realise at the last minute that the sign bears no reality to what is there.

Yes!!! Caught me out last month!!!

I emailed Highways England about this. They told me that the 'signage follows industry practice'. So that's all good then. :evil: Richard-heads.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 31 May 2017, 09:53

RogerS wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:
RogerS wrote:Do they still have that misleading temporary motorway sign northbound on the M3 as you approach the M25 turn-off? It shows that there are TWO exits to the M25..the first to go clockwise and then the next exit a few hundred yards further on to go anti-clockwise.

The reality is that there is just the ONE exit with two lanes. The number of near misses as people realise at the last minute that the sign bears no reality to what is there.

Yes!!! Caught me out last month!!!

I emailed Highways England about this. They told me that the 'signage follows industry practice'. So that's all good then. :evil: Richard-heads.

There is quite a history to this junction. At peak times a lot of the traffic NE bound on the M3 turns off at this junction and it used to be signed like a normal junction and there were problems with rapid lane switching immediately after the turn off. they then modified it to get the heathrow traffic in lane about a mile before the junction and the gatwick people tended to stay in the middle lane and it works pretty well now.
Up until my retirement I used it regularly and honestly cant recall the signs but believe me the junction works a whole lot better than it used to.
They are now installing the smart hardshoulder scheme or what ever it is called so it could all change again soon.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 31 May 2017, 10:12

The misleading sign that I am referring to looks like this.

Quite clear that the first exit lane is for the M25 Heathrow and that a bit further on there will be another exit lane to M25 Gatwick. But there isn't.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 31 May 2017, 10:22

From memory the second exit is marked on the road. A hatched section once the Heathrow lot have moved off to the left followed by the near side lane going for gatwick.
Maybe I'm so familiar with it ever since the m25 opened I just know what to do??
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 31 May 2017, 10:46

9fingers wrote:From memory the second exit is marked on the road. A hatched section once the Heathrow lot have moved off to the left followed by the near side lane going for gatwick.
Maybe I'm so familiar with it ever since the m25 opened I just know what to do??
Bob

If it's marked on the road then that's an awful waste of paint seeing as how vehicles will obscure it completely given the traffic volume !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 31 May 2017, 11:02

I suppose I'm the same as I know it well so don't look at the signs that carefully.
"Queue Jumpers", those in the know and wanting to go to Heathrow etc you keep in the middle lane (Gatwick) which is normally a shorter queue then when the lanes widen to two each you switch to "Heathrow".
A naughty manoeuvre but happens all the time.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 31 May 2017, 11:18

Rod wrote:....

Rod

Too damn right and basically bloody selfish. By doing that, they then have to slow down more to try and find a gap to slip into or like as not force their way into. That in turn ripples through the rest of the traffic including the outside lane and those destined for London.

Be so easy yo have an ANPR system there. clocking the same vehicle doing the same thing day-in-day-out. Summons through the post...driving without due care and consideration'.

Anyone see the bit in the press about the arrogant a*hole of a landlord who was appearing in court for various letting issues. Arrogant git parks his Ferrari on the pavement outside the court. Police get called. discover the car wasn't insured and so crushed it. Pure schadenfreude.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 31 May 2017, 11:48

RogerS wrote:
I'd ditch that SatNav, Andy. Seems the wrong way to the Blue Mountains :lol:

:) I have two map data sets on the one App on my phone. One for Europe, the other North Eastern US. When in PA I will have to pay attention as we are staying in Dover which is just outside York with Lancaster on the other side of the river. Oh and we have to drive through Shrewsbury to get there. :o
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 31 May 2017, 11:55

RogerS wrote:
Rod wrote:....

Rod

Too damn right and basically bloody selfish. By doing that, they then have to slow down more to try and find a gap to slip into or like as not force their way into. That in turn ripples through the rest of the traffic including the outside lane and those destined for London.

Not quite sure what the problem is, it's the only way to drive in Africa, otherwise you will just get bumped off the road. :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Rod » 31 May 2017, 11:57

Well at least you are used to driving on the wrong side of the road!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 31 May 2017, 12:02

Rod wrote:Well at least you are used to driving on the wrong side of the road!

Rod

We drive on the left hand side, most of the time ...............
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby 9fingers » 31 May 2017, 12:19

I've just take a virtual drive up that bit of the M3 on streetview and it is quite clear on the overhead gantries to differentiate between Heathrow and Gatwick filters.

Sorry no sympathy for the directionally challenged here :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 31 May 2017, 12:48

9fingers wrote:I've just take a virtual drive up that bit of the M3 on streetview and it is quite clear on the overhead gantries to differentiate between Heathrow and Gatwick filters.

Sorry no sympathy for the directionally challenged here :lol:

Bob

I don't see any gantries when I try Streetview..very strange. Certainly no overhead gantries when I last drove down there.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat