It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:18

Tiling a roof

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Tiling a roof

Postby Phil » 07 Jun 2017, 13:31

Ok, this is just to show the correct method of carrying clay tiles when tiling a roof.
This is diagonally behind us on the West side – thank goodness last house near us.

1. Fold a round cap from old cement bags. The more layers the better head protection.
2. Proceed to the area where the tiles are stacked on end, ‘loading area’.
3. Bend over and select 7 tiles.
4. Deftly lift in one single movement and place on top of head, perfectly balanced.
5. Walk, keeping a very straight upright posture, to the ladder leading up to the roof.
6. Maintaining the same upright posture, proceed to climb the ladder until your body is half way past the edge of the roof, where the tile layer will relieve you of your load.
7. Back down the ladder and proceed to the ‘loading area’ for your next load of tiles.

There are 7 carriers for the tiles and 2 tile layers on the roof.
The house is 200m2 under roof (same as ours) I am not sure what the m2 tiles are.

Phil

I see F-ktBucket is working again. Immediate loading of site and logon and also upload and getting link!
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Tiling a roof

Postby timothyedoran » 07 Jun 2017, 16:00

Wow, I'm glad I have an office job

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby RogerS » 07 Jun 2017, 21:11

Ah well, after tomorrow when Jeremy gets in, this is what we'll all be doing :lol: :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 07 Jun 2017, 22:34

Reminded me of what I saw on my visit to SA back in 2008

We went to storms river mouth as a stop on our garden route car tour. A staircase up the mountain/hill (can't remember) was closed for repairs. A guy in sunglasses was 'supervising' (aka doing nothing) while a number of ladies were taking the timber up.

There were areas of Cape Town we were told to avoid but apart from that everywhere felt safe enough. Must be time to go back for another visit before too long.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Phil » 09 Jun 2017, 12:22

Robert wrote:A guy in sunglasses was 'supervising' (aka doing nothing)

Robert we have lots of them on site here, spend more time on their mobile phones than working.

Robert wrote:There were areas of Cape Town we were told to avoid but apart from that everywhere felt safe enough. Must be time to go back for another visit before too long.

The South African cities are no different to others in UK, France etc. where there are areas that need to be avoided by tourists. Find out before you plan the trip.
In Paris we were advised to avoid certain metro lines after 2am (yes out that time of the morning seeing Paris at night! and eating.)

Cape Town is best avoided in winter (they have just had a serious cold front) and Knysna has just had serious fires through and around the town

The ideal time for Cape Town, the winelands and garden route is February/March. Although you do get storms coming through in March like this year when they cancelled the cycle race, but generally short lived.

The more you Brexit and elections the worse your X-rate is getting.

A while back it was ZAR17.50 to GBP1.00
This morning it was ZAR16.70 to GBP1.00

It is still a very cheap holiday destination for UK people.

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 12 Jun 2017, 10:08

Here is the last section of the roof being tiled.

Both sides were tiled this morning.

The various shades are stacked on the roof and the tiler then does a random "pick-n-tile"

Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat