It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:35

Nest stuff

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Nest stuff

Postby RogerS » 29 Jun 2017, 05:43

OK...I confess. I have gone over to the dark side and installed a Nest Outdoor security camera and have to confess that it's pretty good if a bit flakey on the s/w side.

So I looked at some of their other stuff including the Nest thermostat that Robert mentioned. Am I missing something but I can see little benefit in one over a normal programmable thermostat.

I've yet to look at the Smoke/CO2 alarm.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Nest stuff

Postby Robert » 29 Jun 2017, 09:31

My daughter works shifts and often gets delays/ emergencies at work that vary her hours. The smart thermostat means she can change her heating to suit using her phone. It may even be clever enough to do it for her automatically by knowing her location but I'm not sure how far the learning feature goes.

For me there would be no point as I'm retired and either home or away so the heating is on or it isn't.

I've got security cameras but wouldn't consider brands like nest as they just look overpriced for the brand name. Outdoors I have 3 Hikvision 3MP (higher res than full HD) cameras linked to my home network and saved for 2 weeks to a network DVR. I can view the recordings and live feed on phone and PC but rarely do. When we are away my wife needs to know the cat is OK so a £30 pan and tilt camera from Amazon gets plugged in and records motion near the cat flap!
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 29 Jun 2017, 10:52

I share your view re a Nest thermostat being in a similar situation.

The Nest Outdoor camera appealed as all it required was a wi-fi connection. No cables other than power. No other boxes either. The motion detection is very flexible and fairly intelligent...for example, if there are a lot of triggers in short succession then you only get the first alert - email and/or push notification to the phone. It's the latter that seems flakey but it could be due to the poor mobile signal here and Three's software that let's you make/take calls and SMS via the internet in the absence of a decent mobile signal also being flakey. An ongoing investigation.

The Nest camera is also rather stylish, I think.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 29 Jun 2017, 13:34

I think the market for nest would be based on style and ease of set up.

A network camera such as Hikvision would out perform the nest based on specs but may need a bit more setting up. It needs a network cable and power over ethernet but will be very reliable.

Is there a subscription to pay for web services with nest cameras? There is none with anything I use.

Oh and you'll soon come to hate spiders. they love the infra red night lighting and will happily web over the camera causing loads of 'event' triggers.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 29 Jun 2017, 14:32

Yes there is but it's pretty nominal.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat