It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:26

Photobucket

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Photobucket

Postby RogerS » 02 Jul 2017, 05:38

Chaps...why are you all so fixated about a photo-sharing site that is free? Haven't you learned your lesson ? What has happened to PB can ...and most likely will happen again to the next free site.

Everything we do in life costs something either in time, money and emotion or all three. How much is your time worth spent re-posting when the next free site ceases?

A subscription to a site like Flickr costs around 13 cents a day.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 02 Jul 2017, 07:57

I agree with you Roger.

I have more than 12 years worth of photos* on PB and thought of moving them all churns my stomach. The thought of having to do it again when the replacement service goes the way of PB is not worth thinking about.

The options as I see it are either paying for flickr or something similar or paying for a web site like Terry or Paul. I have no need of a website as I find it hard enough just to keep a familiy only blog going so paying $40 a year for flickr I think is the way to go.

Of course there is no guarantee that flickr will be around in 10 years time either.

I think a very important lesson has been learnt about keeping anything on the internet.

*I know I have not lost these images but the only reason they are there is for forum threads on here and UKW beforehand.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 02 Jul 2017, 08:03

The only benefit I can see of a free site, is if it stays up after I pop my clogs, then the pictures will remain.
But I do agree with Roger, I had pictures hosted on free web space that BT gave to all customers, but they removed it as not many people used it. In the early days of ukw there was a user gallery in which I put some pictures and linked to them in threads, that was removed so the pictures went missing.
I now use Flickr, it's just a pain that BT dropped it so I have yet another set of credentials to remember.
Last edited by DaveL on 02 Jul 2017, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby RogerS » 02 Jul 2017, 08:04

My take .....your own website vs. paid for photo hosting site.

Own website

You don't have to create one if all you want to do is store photos.

You 'own' your email address for ever...well, as long as you keep your website.

You can have any number of aliased email addresses....great for subscribing to 'free trial periods'. Which reminds me...must have another free go of NowTV and Netflix ;)

No photo-manipulation

Uploading ...possibly trickier but never looked into it.

Photo-hosting

Management of photos much easier.

No email facilities etc
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 02 Jul 2017, 08:05

DaveL wrote:....
I now use Flickr, it's just a pain that BT dropped it so I have yet another set of credentials to remember.

I use keychain on the Mac. Only need to remember one password etc
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 02 Jul 2017, 08:24

Malc2098 wrote:I don't know much about this sort of stuff.
Is this site to good to be true?
http://www.freeimagehosting.net

This is an extract of their T&C's, take note of 4. Maybe it is their way of obtaining income - market your pics.

1. Free Image Hosting provides for the hosting and publishing of user submitted content.

2. Regarding your content submissions, you agree that you will NOT submit any content or post any comments that:

A. are adult oriented or offensive;
B. infringes any trademark, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party;
C. are unlawful, harmful, abusive, or defamatory;
D. are to be used in unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, or spam; and/or
E. are illegal or in violation of any United States laws.

3. Regarding your content submissions, you affirm that:

A. you have the necessary licenses, rights, and permissions to use your content submission in the manner intended by FreeImageHosting.net and these Terms of Service;
B. you have the written consent and release of each identifiable person in your content submission to use their name or likeness to enable the use of your content submission in the manner intended by FreeImageHosting.net and these Terms of Service.

4. You retain all of your ownership rights to your content submissions. You grant permission for the owners of FreeImageHosting.net to use and publish your content submissions in any media formats and through any media channels we see fit. You grant each user of FreeImageHosting.net a non-exclusive license to access and share your content submissions as permitted under these Terms of Service for as long as such content is hosted by FreeImageHosting.net.

5. FreeImageHosting.net reserves the right to remove user submitted content without prior notice and for any reason, including excessive bandwidth useage.

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 02 Jul 2017, 09:01

...and 5

No such thing as a free lunch.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 02 Jul 2017, 09:37

RogerS wrote:...and 5

Spot on there Roger!

After running my website through 1&1 for the last 6 years, I've only just learned I can host images from it. :eusa-doh:

I'm going to set it up and test it later.

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Phil » 02 Jul 2017, 09:43

RogerS wrote:...and 5

Yip.

Will also try linking to my website.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 02 Jul 2017, 11:50

I've never fully trusted host sites ever since the Sony closure.
I've taken photos for over 60yrs which are stored as negatives and photo albums, until I switched to digital 20 odd years ago when I stored them on hard drives and CDs.
I also make an annual DVD of video and the best stills which I distribute to family members, thus ensuring they are at different locations.
Every now and then I make a Photobox album of the best stuff.
I've got photos in the cloud using ImageShack, Apples Photos, Google, Amazon etc - as I said, I don't trust any of them!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 02 Jul 2017, 13:44

My website is on a Free hosting site Servetown.com
(Free=cheapskate=me!)

http://abc4tt.servetown.com/

I have 833 files with total size of 36,833KB
Disadvantage are the adverts, either pop-up or in a new tab. It is also slow.
Very easy upload FTP.

I started this in October 2005 when I had the lower leg in a cast, and bored.
Everything written in HTML code, just functional viewing. It needs to be modified and updated.
I write the HTML on my laptop and test it to see if it looks ok before uploading to Servetown.
Everything is stored on their server, the HTML menus and fotos.

I get a bandwidth of 600MB for the month, current usage for July 2.34MB

Ok, now to the real point of the story.
I have tried once before to link to the fotos as an alternate to PB for storage and access, but was blocked, they did not allow 3rd party linking.

Tried again today, and only one foto loads, the second one stays ‘image’.
When posting to the forum, now boh show 'image'

I will try again later in the week.

Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 02 Jul 2017, 13:53

Cannot see the photos
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 02 Jul 2017, 14:02

Just down loaded the Flickr App - you get 1,000Gb free

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 02 Jul 2017, 14:05

might be a cache thing, but if I link your photo's , then I can see then on your post and mine ?

EDIT ..
no, I checked on a different pc and I can't see them either .. you can't do it then Phil
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 02 Jul 2017, 14:24

Rich, in between cooking duties and off to the tip in a bit, I've had a live chat with 1&1 and FTP isn't included in my package - it would be an extra £0.99 a month for year 1, increasing to £4.99 a month thereafter, with a 100GB cap.

Meanwhile, I've opened a new page as a gallery of WIP Photos and I can't seem to link them to the forum now - most disgruntled I am. I've double checked your PM (thank you chap!) and on the right click, I don't see the 'copy image location' in there anywhere. :x

I've got to go to the tip now - orders from the top. I hope I don't come back with anything! :lol:

If you're still on here and when you have a quick minute, please have a look and see if you link an image to here.

Here's the new page.
http://www.woodmonkeyworkshop.com/the-b ... ak-walnut/

Cheers matey - much obliged to you.

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Tusses » 02 Jul 2017, 14:55

Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 02 Jul 2017, 14:58

I can , but doubt if you can ! lol .. sorry :lol:

you did something different this time.
before, you had them in the gallery
now they are in your blog.

EDIT :->
Just had another look
your 'thumbs open the image, but the image links back to the blog.
if you right click on the thumb and open it in a new tab, then you can copy the image location
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 02 Jul 2017, 15:40

to the ADMINS ..

is there a way to make the page length shorter or variable ?
Much of the bandwidth will be used by people clicking on a thread they are keeping up with, and scrolling past everything they have seen already. Even when you click for 1st unread post.
Just thinking out loud
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 02 Jul 2017, 15:53

Tusses wrote:I can , but doubt if you can ! lol .. sorry :lol:

you did something different this time.
before, you had them in the gallery
now they are in your blog.

EDIT :->
Just had another look
your 'thumbs open the image, but the image links back to the blog.
if you right click on the thumb and open it in a new tab, then you can copy the image location

:lol: You're right there geezer! I've just tried and it didn't work. :| :(

I can do the thumbs no prob, but the image will show as a thumbs image - too small.

So forgetting this page... if I create a separate page for each project of WIP Photos which isn't a sub page, I should be okay. Will be o lot of pages as time goes by though. I suppose I could keep loading the images onto the same page and maybe title it as you say 'Images'. I think this would then show on the home page as a tab link.

Thanks for your knowledge and expertise... 8-)

I'm going to have a wee tinker around and see what looks acceptable for the website.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 02 Jul 2017, 16:00

Got it... This image is from The Blogs page - a main page and not a sub page. Once I copied it into another tab and then copied the address for the transfer, I then had to delete the numbers back to JPG in the browser and then paste it in between the [IMG] [IMG] on here.

Can you see this image?
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Jul 2017, 16:03

Tusses wrote:to the ADMINS ..

Much of the bandwidth will be used by people clicking on a thread they are keeping up with, and scrolling past everything they have seen already. Even when you click for 1st unread post.
Just thinking out loud

For ME yes, for YOU no. I have to set the number of posts per page in the main forum settings and it's a global setting. Unfortunately it doesn't allow you to tailor that in your own user settings.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Jul 2017, 16:03

Pinch wrote:Got it... This image is from The Blogs page - a main page and not a sub page. Once I copied it into another tab and then copied the address for the transfer, I then had to delete the numbers back to JPG in the browser and then paste it in between the [IMG] [IMG] on here.

Can you see this image?

Yep :eusa-clap:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Tusses » 02 Jul 2017, 16:04

Pinch wrote:Got it... This image is from The Blogs page - a main page and not a sub page. Once I copied it into another tab and then copied the address for the transfer, I then had to delete the numbers back to JPG in the browser and then paste it in between the [IMG] [IMG] on here.

Can you see this image?

I can .. well done :-)

now try it on your wips to make sure :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 02 Jul 2017, 16:08

TrimTheKing wrote:
Tusses wrote:to the ADMINS ..

Just thinking out loud

For ME yes, for YOU no. I have to set the number of posts per page in the main forum settings and it's a global setting. Unfortunately it doesn't allow you to tailor that in your own user settings.

Cheers
Mark

ah, ok .. just wondered if it could be shorter for projects , or the most used parts of the forum.

Also, what has just shown from the last few posts , is people quoting .. images and all, without editing out the bits they are not referencing .. I guess that's an education / etiquette thing

just a thought, as there is/was mention of forum hosting of images etc.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 02 Jul 2017, 16:10

Thanks Mark & Rich - lovely motor, I should never have sold that little beauty. I must have been having one of my strange moments.

Hang on chap... I'm still on cooking duties here... I didn't bring anything back from the tip though - brownie points earned there. ;)

I'm in for a quick shower, make a brew, check the dinner and then back on the case.

Marvellous!

Pinch
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat