It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:19

Spouse pensions

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Spouse pensions

Postby RogerS » 20 Jul 2017, 08:36

I came across an interesting article in a paper and pass the gist of it on in case it might be of interest.

If you thought that when your spouse died, you would get part of their pension then think again. It depends on the specific rules of the pension scheme. Some (as was the case in the article) only make this payable if the spouse was already taking the pension at time of death. If they weren't then you will get nothing from their pension scheme.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Spouse pensions

Postby Rod » 20 Jul 2017, 13:53

My pension scheme pays half but I know of somebody who died and his second wife only got a small fraction based on the number of years they were married.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 22 Jul 2017, 14:20

My one pension also pays half if I snuff it.
The other one is an LLA which she will get full value to take and invest in a new pension for herself.

Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby 9fingers » 22 Jul 2017, 15:16

Rod wrote:My pension scheme pays half but I know of somebody who died and his second wife only got a small fraction based on the number of years they were married.

Rod

Presumably that is because they are carrying the liability for wife no 1 too.

My spouses pension used to be 2/3rds but when the scheme was changed to be based on 1/45 salary per annum, they changed to 60%
We are lucky still having a final salary scheme. Those following on from me at the company are on a money purchase scheme now and will have to save harder to get the equivalent of 2/3 final salary which used to be the norm.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby justaskin » 23 Jul 2017, 07:21

In addition to the rest

If you are in receipt of a military pension your first wife will get half of it. Should you divorce you keep yours but it dies with you. My airline pensions are the same.

Richard
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat