It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:16

Dunkirk

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Dunkirk

Postby Jimmy Mack » 21 Jul 2017, 17:29

Just back from an afternoon break with Mrs Mack... Chicken Chimichangas then a visit to the cinema to watch DUNKIRK.

Excellent movie, go see.

Jim

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Dunkirk

Postby Rod » 21 Jul 2017, 19:48

Gets good reviews

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Jul 2017, 21:51

Rod wrote:Gets good reviews

Rod

Not in The Times 2/5 stars.

Interesting programme recently about the unfairness that the RAF received from those on the beaches thinking that the RAF weren't doing anything to help them. When the complete opposite was true.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 21 Jul 2017, 22:00

RogerS wrote:
Rod wrote:Gets good reviews

Rod

Not in The Times 2/5 stars.

Interesting programme recently about the unfairness that the RAF received from those on the beaches thinking that the RAF weren't doing anything to help them. When the complete opposite was true.
I suspect that review will be back to bite the reviewer on the butt, perhaps their popcorn was stale.... Considering Bradshaw gave it 5 stars, which is quite rare.

I'm no aficionado on the subject, but interesting point on the RAF involvement or supposed lack of... there is a nod to this.... Which I now get, thanks Roger.

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 21 Jul 2017, 22:16

The air scenes are fantastic btw

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Jul 2017, 23:15

My father was a L/bdr in a Royal Artillery Field Regiment in the BEF. His regiment and battery was one of the last to leave because they were providing the rearguard bombardment. In fact his service record shows his return was the day after the operation officially finished.

He came back on a Margate pleasure steamer called Royal Daffodil; it received a direct hit from a Stuka's bomb, but it didn't explode, but left a dirty great hole in the hull. They stuffed it with mattresses to get them home.

Like many of his generation, he rarely spoke about the war, but in the loft at our council house in the 50s, was a holdall and wallet, each with a hole in where some shrapnel went through as he crossed the beach.

I'm here because he got back. I'd rather not see the film because of that, as good as it might be.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby kirkpoore1 » 22 Jul 2017, 22:45

I'm going to see it in a few minutes.

As far as the RAF getting knocked by the guys on the ground, that's gonna happen. I have a great-uncle (96 & still sharp as a tack) who was in the Marines on Guadalcanal in 1942. He still blames the Navy for abandoning them there, when the Japanese had effective control of the sea around the island after the first night naval battle there. (He won't talk much about it either, though I did get some details from him because (a) I was in the military also, and (b) I asked questions around the edges to get him started talking, rather than going straight for the gore. My father, who wasn't in the military and asked the obvious questions, couldn't get much out of him at all.)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat