It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:55

Utility Switch

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Utility Switch

Postby Rod » 18 Aug 2017, 11:28

My fixed rate contract for dual fuel is coming to an end so I've been using the many utility switch online companies to compare prices.
They are all a bit naughty, comparing a new discounted price against the standard rate from my existing supplier.
Compared to the new rate my existing supplier is offering there's very little difference and the cheaper ones on offer are from new companies I've never heard off - most with very few reviews.
Anybody got experiences of other suppliers other than the big six?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Utility Switch

Postby Robert » 18 Aug 2017, 12:49

My daughter went with one of the smaller companies and it was a nightmare for her. They were just incompetent. Switched one fuel not the other, billing the one they hadn't switched... it went on and on. ombudsman involved still not sorted. She eventually spoke to someone that could see how they messed up and got it sorted and left them.

edit: just remembered the name.. it was First Utility

I use a comparison site in a browser set for private browsing (no cookies) then having found the cheapest switch to them using a cashback site like quidco. That way I get the £60 odd commission not the switching site.
Last edited by Robert on 18 Aug 2017, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remebered name
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 18 Aug 2017, 21:30

Rod, they are using the mandated method of comparison.

ie what you would pay for the next 12 months if you do nothing which usually puts you on the baseline (expensive) tariff Vs what you would pay with the new supplier.

If you think about about it is all they can do to compare because you cant have another year at the same rate you are currently paying.

The most comprehensive comparison is martin lewis's energy saving club as they show all suppliers irrespective of whether or not they get a kick back. They also share the incentive with you and you get about £30 cashback a month or so after the switch

I had a bit of a nightmare with OVO which took a long time to sort out. They also wanted to penalise me with an exit fee when I only wanted to change tariff but still staying with OVO So i dumped them.
I tend to move every year within the big six. remember you don't pay exit fees in the last 50days of any contract. Start looking for new suppliers at about 70 days before end of contract and collect facts ready to challenge the existing supplier at the 50 day point. Sometimes they will offer a deal but not always.

Only today I had a message from Energy saving club saying I could save £80 (less £60 exit fee) even though my fixed tariff runs till june 18 but all the offers were from zero feedback tinpot suppliers.

Based on my and Roberts experience I'd stay within the big six but play the game

Don't assume that dual fuel deals will be cheapest. even two single fuel with the same company can sometimes be cheaper than their dual fuel.

Most of the big six have a tool to enable you to adjust your DD every time they get a reading from you. I send in readings monthly and reduce my DD to minimum they will accept without an upfront payment. The game is to pay the minimum DD and settle up with a one off payment at the review date.
You want to get the discount associated with paying by DD but not to let your balance go positive at any time during the year.
The worst you can do is keep the DD at the level they suggest for 12 months as that is aimed at you paying MORE than 1/12 of your annual bill and then claiming it back.

good luck playing the energy game!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rod » 18 Aug 2017, 23:27

Thanks Bob
I'm with Scottish Power and the cheapos are only offering me an annual saving of £40 and a cancellation fee.
Scottish Power tried to put up my DD earlier this year but I found that you could put in what you wanted and in fact I reduced it - I've finished up £27 in credit so not too bad.
I've joined the MSE club but they've only come up with one cheaper one that they don't recommend.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat