It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:23

Well I thought it was interesting ...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Well I thought it was interesting ...

Postby Tusses » 26 Aug 2017, 14:18

Babylonians developed trigonometry 'superior' to modern day version 3,700 years ago

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/bab ... ar-AAqFGYP
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Well I thought it was interesting ...

Postby 9fingers » 26 Aug 2017, 17:38

It is not only the Babylonians that realised the significance of higher number bases.

Our money used to be base 240 which allowed many exact divisions into portions.

It was only in 1971 some daft so and so threw that away for a base 100/base 10 system with no such ease of division.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Tusses » 27 Aug 2017, 09:57

I still prefer the imperial system too , and convert to MM for the customer.

It still make me smile to think that an 8x4' sheet is 8x4' :D
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 27 Aug 2017, 10:13

Tusses wrote:It still make me smile to think that an 8x4' sheet is 8x4' :D

I don't think this is always true. ISTR people complaining of some sheet goods being imperial one axis and metric the other. I think it might be some plasterboard where they had set the studs out in one system and the boards were delivered in the other.

But I agree the way we have adopted metric dimensions into the building trade is crazy with wood sold with metric cross sections and length in 1 foot steps and our doors are still in 3" steps in width.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Tusses » 27 Aug 2017, 10:28

9fingers wrote:
Tusses wrote:It still make me smile to think that an 8x4' sheet is 8x4' :D

I don't think this is always true. ISTR people complaining of some sheet goods being imperial one axis and metric the other. I think it might be some plasterboard where they had set the studs out in one system and the boards were delivered in the other.

But I agree the way we have adopted metric dimensions into the building trade is crazy with wood sold with metric cross sections and length in 1 foot steps and our doors are still in 3" steps in width.

Bob

yes , I can't remember what it was but I cam across that too. I think it was I framed out assuming one standard and nothing fitted when I got the sheets.

It is crazy. like 400 centres instead of 16 , then depending on what you are boarding with etc, it doesn't work.
I think 2.4 studwork is actually 2.4 , so 8' sheets need to be trimmed. depending on how you use them.

I wonder if it will ever get fixed ? ...

then you come to metal .. ! lol , threads and stuff. well , at least if you like old metal anyway .

keeps you on your toes :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 27 Aug 2017, 10:30

oh yeah .. and computers ! there are some easy numbers/equations that you just can't compute without some rounding system or another
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Aug 2017, 21:12

Back in the 60s at weekends and holidays and after I left school, I worked in a timber yard.

The ply came in boards of 50" x 60", 60" x 50", 60" x 60" and 8' x 4' - in thicknesses of 4mm, 6mm, 9mm, 12mm!!!

I learned from then on to convert quickly between imperial and metric and vice - versa!

I was well 'ard in those days. A lorry with 20 tons of hardboard, Sovereign Royal Board, arrived every Monday morning up this narrow alley to the yard gates, and I unloaded it by hand!!!

4 x 2, 4 x 3, 4 x 4, 6 x 2, 6'6" x 2' 6", 7 x 3, 8 x 4.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat