It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:00

Grand Designs

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Grand Designs

Postby RogerS » 08 Sep 2017, 16:02

I'm not normally a watcher of this as I detest 'Drama Queen' presentation style. However, this weeks' wasof interest as it was set in the Malvern Hills and I was curious to see where.

Well...one thing is for sure, it confirmed to me that you can't rely on the integrity of the directorial process. It took most of the programme for us to work out where it was as the cutaway shots (which suggested being taken from the plot) gave conflicting information. That plus McCloud being geographically challenged lead us a merry dance.

We sussed it in the end and it's in West Malvern and was a house we'd seen being built (for ages) when we drove en route to the town centre. Both of us said 'How on earth did they get planning permission for that ?'
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Grand Designs

Postby Rod » 08 Sep 2017, 16:39

I assumed they bought the plot with PP - £150k!

Nice staircase and views but didn't really like the look.
Took me a while to realise the views were over the road.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Sep 2017, 17:13

Rod wrote:I assumed they bought the plot with PP - £150k!

Nice staircase and views but didn't really like the look.
Took me a while to realise the views were over the road.

Rod

Yup..Old Common Road although to be fair it's not that busy.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 Sep 2017, 17:34

Horrible sting in the tale with that services bill.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 08 Sep 2017, 17:42

Yes £40k - you live and learn but he was so shell shocked that I don't think he'll embark on another project like this one!
The wall construction was quite interesting though it's been featured on GD before.
There was an interesting programme about Frank Lloyd Wright last week - I didn't know he was Welsh.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Sep 2017, 17:48

Andyp wrote:Horrible sting in the tale with that services bill.

But a bit of a numpty for not checking it out.

We both reckon that they will be divorced very soon. He has given up so much. His job. Mental exhaustion. Money. And he never really wanted to come back to the UK in the first place.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MattS » 08 Sep 2017, 20:58

Felt a bit sorry for him, I know he should have checked but there did seem to be houses all around so must have been such a shock. Kevin's quoting of Frank Lloyd Wright was bang on. It was definitely on the hill and not of the hill. But enjoyed the programme, it's my favourite show on TV, and I disagree with Roger about the presentation style. I like how Kevin challenges and gives honest opinions. It's part of the design process but in a much better way than some shows. He also happily admits when he was wrong.

Can't wait for the rest of the series.

On that Frank Lloyd Wright show, I found it fascinating and well worth watching. I knew a bit about some of the properties but learnt a lot and had no idea about the horrific story from his personal life.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Sep 2017, 21:43

Kevin lost my vote when he was doing a programme about renovating an old black and white cottage and he said "And these timbers are 10mm out of line" in his usual style. 10mm FFS ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 10 Sep 2017, 11:34

RogerS wrote:Kevin lost my vote when he was doing a programme about renovating an old black and white cottage and he said "And these timbers are 10mm out of line" in his usual style. 10mm FFS ?
Typical Kevin splitting hairs...He has an awkward knack of dropping negatives on site when project enthusiasm is close to breaking point.

'Ooo... You didn't want to do it like that'

Just what you you want to hear when £20k of glass goes wrong!....I wonder if he's ever been bumped on the snozzle

Though looking forward to checking out the new series.

I prefer George's vibe... so does the wife...for different reasons

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Sep 2017, 13:56

My next door neighbour does a lot of ecology work and one of his clients is a said Mr.Cloud. Last year he wanted a very large nesting box made for swifts which would sit on top of a 30' telegraph pole on the estate he was developing.
The working drawings were very difficult to interpret and the whole thing had to be made, finished and installed on site in three weeks :shock:
Cost was not an option, but I turned it down anyway. As it happens Mr & Mrs Pinch were visiting that day and if memory serves, even Mr.P thought it was a 'no hoper' - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 10 Sep 2017, 14:05

He's developing a site not too far from us - I wonder if it was for that one.
We don't get many swifts but the centre of Winchester did - some in the building I used to work in The Castle.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 10 Sep 2017, 21:37

Watched this tonight...they made some unusual decisions which Kevin rightly, but of course true to form, tactlessly pointed out (when the poor bloke looked destroyed). On the whole I felt it turned out very well (sans services sting) considering, as the fella said, this was a huge first step into building a home.

In the end I wasn't convinced the curve did much in the cladding... for the hassle and expense it was.

...We only saw the top floor, was the rest unfinished?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MattS » 10 Sep 2017, 22:25

I normally spot when they only show some rooms but completely missed it in this one that they only showed one floor!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 11 Sep 2017, 16:40

Rod wrote:He's developing a site not too far from us - I wonder if it was for that one
Rod

I think that's the one; it was certainly over in your neck of the woods Rod - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 11 Sep 2017, 22:32

This is the one local to Rod and I

https://www.habhousing.co.uk/lovedonfields

And another one of his in trouble here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/e ... rrors.html

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rod » 11 Sep 2017, 23:01

Amazing how they can tweak photos!

The ones near the road are made from a strange mixture of bricks which gives them a speckled look.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MattS » 14 Sep 2017, 16:12

Last nights episode was quite good. After the intro I thought it would be a bit of a clash of styles but they pulled it off. Some bits of interest in wood - a new build kitchen distressed to look 18th century, only a small clip but interesting seeing the French polisher at work.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby tracerman » 14 Sep 2017, 18:45

Shame really , we have enjoyed most of these programmes in the past . It reminds me of when having enjoyed a degree of fame , Barry Bucknell fell from grace .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Woodster » 15 Sep 2017, 10:31

MattS wrote:Last nights episode was quite good. After the intro I thought it would be a bit of a clash of styles but they pulled it off. Some bits of interest in wood - a new build kitchen distressed to look 18th century, only a small clip but interesting seeing the French polisher at work.

Yes it wasn't a bad episode. I was a bit dubious of the "distressed" wood in the kitchen but it turned out quite well. Not my cup of tea but it looked alright.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 19 Sep 2017, 23:20

I watched a repeat of an old show on More4 about a couple who renovated an old Tudor house which had lots of original features untouched.
They showed some leaded windows being made. Also had to deal with lots of beetle damage.
They had allowed £70k for the work but spent £300k in the end on top of £450k purchase price.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat