It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:00

Headcracker vintage truss rafters

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Headcracker vintage truss rafters

Postby Jimmy Mack » 12 Sep 2017, 10:15

I've been looking at this rafter repair since we moved in 3 years ago. The wife, shorter than I, would like to use this as the master bedroom, but the tie repair bisects the room at shoulder height (I'm just 6ft).

I believe many moons ago there was an insect Infestation and the little beasties munched away at some of the roof, from the outside the roof sags a little. This must of led the rafters to split, hence the repairs. There's a couple of extra 2x4 ties in the loft but higher.

It's not something that I would dare attempt, but I was wondering if it's worth pursuing, maybe approaching an engineer to see if that head cracker can be changed, maybe to a laminated curve? Mega bucks? Probably. I've suspect Mike would confidently have a pop at this Oak in his pyjama's

See what you think, it's just for fun at the moment.

Jim

Ps. The window you see is at floor level.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Headcracker vintage truss rafters

Postby Mike G » 13 Sep 2017, 08:36

Hi Jim.

Is the building listed?

The principal rafters are original, but what about the heavy raised tie? It's unusual to see it planted on the sides of the rafters like that. (edit.....looking again I see it is modern)

There is certainly a fix for that which removes the modern low-level stuff and the braces. It will not only improve the look of the roof, but also give you the headroom you need. It shouldn't cost much money, either, and I would certainly be looking to do it in lumps of oak rather than in modern laminated timber. If you get the chance to do a sketch with some dimensions, I'll have a quick play with it and see if I can come up with something for you.

(edit)...... If that is a doorway in the background of the lower picture, that gives a rough idea of the heights of the purlin visible in wall above the window. Is that enough headroom, if there were a tie at that level?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Headcracker vintage truss rafters

Postby Jimmy Mack » 20 Sep 2017, 10:00

Mike G wrote:Hi Jim.

Is the building listed?

The principal rafters are original, but what about the heavy raised tie? It's unusual to see it planted on the sides of the rafters like that. (edit.....looking again I see it is modern)

There is certainly a fix for that which removes the modern low-level stuff and the braces. It will not only improve the look of the roof, but also give you the headroom you need. It shouldn't cost much money, either, and I would certainly be looking to do it in lumps of oak rather than in modern laminated timber. If you get the chance to do a sketch with some dimensions, I'll have a quick play with it and see if I can come up with something for you.

(edit)...... If that is a doorway in the background of the lower picture, that gives a rough idea of the heights of the purlin visible in wall above the window. Is that enough headroom, if there were a tie at that level?

Hi Mike, Thanks for the reply.

The property isn't listed, although we are in a conservation area and similar properties are, which is unusual, though a relief.

If you are happy to have a play, I'd be delighted, though this isn't a pressing project at the moment, so at your leisure and if of interest. It would be good to get an idea of the the direction to go in. As you can expect access is not the easiest up stairs, maybe a window would have to come out? :eusa-think:

I've attached two drawings to hopefully give a better idea with some measurement. It was a bit of a challenge to draw; quite a spaghetti of components!

Now let me see if I can figure out this photo uploader...

Thanks,

Jim

**EDIT: I missed out meeting purlins where I've written 'split' on the RHS ... i.e.: should mirror the LHS***
Attachments
rafter.jpg
(191.41 KiB)
plan.jpg
(150.56 KiB)
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat