It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:55

The ultimate in Bloatware ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Postby RogerS » 14 Sep 2017, 17:48

iTunes.

Downloading it as it got trashed during a system update on the Mac.

280 MB :o

I tell a lie. just fonished downloading it and when I click to instal it tells me it needs almost 0.5 GB :o :shock:

Junkware, I call it.

Bit hacked off really. Various sites have started to get a bit ainsy with Safari 9.1.3. In particular the website for Little Greene paint. You'd get to the stage where you click to Submit for Payment and it just brought you back to where you were. Same with Chrome. Same with Firefox. Their IT Manager was about as much use as a chocolate teapot....nay, not even that..at least you can eat a chocolate teapot. Unable to tell me which version of Mac browsers their website had been tested against. Adamant that I must upgrade my Mac to the latest software (arrogant little sh*t). But then I thought...why not. No more security updates for Mavericks so perhaps better to bite the bullet.

So I bit the bullet. Hollow laugh. Default browser that comes with El Capitan (my hardware does not support Sierra) is safari 9.1.3. The same one that I have on Mavericks. :eusa-doh:

Man, doesn't El Crappo run like a dog. So..o...o...o slow. The browser is like treacle.

OK...never say die. Find Safari 10 (the one version that Numpty-Man at LittleGreene tells me will work....although he has no evidence to support that. Did I tell you he was an arrogant little sh*t?) and instal it. Try the LittleGreene website ....doesn't work... :eusa-doh: :evil:

Got a lot of paint to order and it will come in dribs and drabs as we work our way through the house. But it is a right pain to ring up and place the order. Much prefer to do it online...

So...............back to Mavericks. And LittleGreene can go swivel.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: The ultimate in Bloatware ?

Postby Mike G » 14 Sep 2017, 19:21

Norton Anti-Virus goes in that category for me, although I have heard that Kaspersky AV is even worse. I had Norton for a while and decided it was actually worse than having a virus. The damn space it takes was unbelievable.

As for I Tunes........Deezer (or Spotify) is your answer.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Sep 2017, 08:00

Ah well...El Crappo has been kicked into touch and I'm back to running Mavericks.

Interestingly, that LittleGreene e-commerce website has to be the most mind-bogglingly incompetent one out there. It complains 'please check the red fields'....but no red fields are displayed !

Tried it on my smartphone. Same message. No red fields either.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Sep 2017, 08:21

Minor hijack alert.

I now have several hundred photos on my iphone all in one "folder" if that is the correct word.
Can I use Itunes to sort them into multiple logical folders?
I want the photos to repmain on the phone as I use then to show to others but currently it means thumbing through hundreds to get to the ones I want.

Trying to do the sorting on the phone itself is just too fiddly and risk of losing something.

My version of Itunes runs on my PC if that makes a difference. I don't have any other apple kit.

TIA
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 15 Sep 2017, 08:41

I don't think so, Bob.

Do you not have Photos on your iPhone ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Sep 2017, 08:50

RogerS wrote:I don't think so, Bob.

Yes I do have Photos on the iphone but trying to do a sort/classification on such a tiny screen seems risky.

What I find frustrating is that whilst the iphone presents as an external disc drive in Windows but it won't let you write back to it otherwise a sort within windows would be easy.

I do hate "Apple Arrogance"
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 15 Sep 2017, 08:59

9fingers wrote:
RogerS wrote:I don't think so, Bob.

Yes I do have Photos on the iphone but trying to do a sort/classification on such a tiny screen seems risky.

What I find frustrating is that whilst the iphone presents as an external disc drive in Windows but it won't let you write back to it otherwise a sort within windows would be easy.

I do hate "Apple Arrogance"
Bob

Why is it 'arrogance' when it is an essential part of the security features on your iPhone ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Sep 2017, 09:14

Sorry I don't understand why writing a photo to my phone is a security issue?
When I connect the phone to the PC it asks if I trust it and the phone won't switch on without a finger print or pass code. Surely enough security?
Also iTunes lets me write an audio file to the phone and maybe even a video but not a picture?
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 15 Sep 2017, 09:34

Dunno. What I do know is that Apple usually do have a good reason. Maybe there can be/has been an attack vector embedded in a jpeg? No idea, really.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 15 Sep 2017, 09:48

I will have to check but you can create folders in Photos (or iTunes ?) and transfer photos to them.
But when syncing to iTunes make sure you tick the correct boxes or you could load nothing into your phone and wipe things from it.
They are not completely lost as they will still be on your computer.

Rod

Just checked on my phone, you can definitely create new "albums" using Photo.
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Sep 2017, 11:33

What exactly are you trying to achieve Bob? On your iphone photos are stored in albums (Camera roll, Favourites, People etc.) or Photo's (stored in date order and you can go back as far a the year, then click down into a year and get a monthly breakdown, month to get weekly etc.)

From the Albums page you can create a new album with any name then go into camera roll, edit, select then 'add to' any folder you want.

Is that what you want but don't want to have to do it on the phone?

Thanks
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 15 Sep 2017, 14:38

TrimTheKing wrote:What exactly are you trying to achieve Bob? On your iphone photos are stored in albums (Camera roll, Favourites, People etc.) or Photo's (stored in date order and you can go back as far a the year, then click down into a year and get a monthly breakdown, month to get weekly etc.)

From the Albums page you can create a new album with any name then go into camera roll, edit, select then 'add to' any folder you want.

Is that what you want but don't want to have to do it on the phone?

Thanks
Mark

Yes exactly that Mark. I have over 600 on the camera roll and want file by subject matter.
I don't want pics of the gf mixed up with woodwork lol
Thanks for your interest
Bob
Ps I don't use the cloud on principle
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 16 Sep 2017, 07:31

Found where the fault lies in LittleGreene's website. Whether or not they do anything about it remains to be seen.

Current score: Little Greene IT dept - 0; Roger - 1
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat