It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:40

Newbie android Question

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Newbie android Question

Postby 9fingers » 03 Nov 2017, 10:56

I just obtained a used LG G4 Stylus H 635 phone for SWMBO as this will hopefully one she can use.
Due to severe arthritis, no two finger tips point in the same direction and are attached with the strength of jelly so touch screens are a nightmare to use. This has a stylus which she should be able to grip.

This phone runs some variant of Android and I'm still waiting for a sim so have not gone through the set up yet to find the version of the OS.
Having just plugged it into my laptop to charge it, I've been through the "windows has discovered new hardware" routine, failed to locate the driver, found one online, installed and the phone now appears under the Device manager. Great - just as I expected.

But the phone does not appear under "My Computer" as a USB storage device or a camera or anything else.

Does android require a software package on the PC in order manage its features?

Sorry if this seems a dumb question but I'm used to my iphone which presents as a camera under "My Computer" and not played android before.

TIA
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Newbie android Question

Postby Robert » 03 Nov 2017, 11:00

There are options in the phone settings for how the USB connects. Can't remember what they are but you need to change it :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 03 Nov 2017, 11:04

Robert wrote:There are options in the phone settings for how the USB connects. Can't remember what they are but you need to change it :)

OK Robert
Thanks. I should get the sim tomorrow and be able to go through the set up process and hopefully stumble across those options.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 03 Nov 2017, 11:06

google g4 usb settings

just swipe down the status bar while connected it says.

I have a normal G4 btw...

Did the USB thing so long ago I didn't remember.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 03 Nov 2017, 11:21

Robert wrote:google g4 usb settings

just swipe down the status bar while connected it says.

I have a normal G4 btw...

Did the USB thing so long ago I didn't remember.

When searching for (rare) stylus based phones, the review of the G4 Stylus kicked off by saying it was a G4 in name only and saying was a poor cousin to the well regarded G4 non-stylus.
Our requirement is simply to have integral storage for the stylus as virtually all touch screens work with a stylus but when you come to buy a case, few have storage for a after market stylus.
We want very basic phone, text, trivial levels of surfing, navigation and rear camera which this should be fine for even with the scathing reviews.
It seems there are no small stylus phones. I've found a case with a wrist strap so that should help with poor grip on the larger than wanted phone size.
I've bought a used one on the basis that if she can't use it, I should be able to sell it without losing much.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 03 Nov 2017, 11:28

You might as well sort the USB now as adding a sim will not change anything.

Could be worth playing with the voice search if input is difficult. Speech recognition is impressive these days. Google assistant on later android will let you do a lot by just saying what you want. I use voice for google searches on the phone and so far it has always got it right.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 03 Nov 2017, 11:37

Thanks,

I need to find a time when SWMBO is out of the way to have a real play. It is a few weeks to her birthday but if I get stuck/delayed I can always produce it as a Christmas present instead.
Maybe I could install jingle bells as a ringtone and arrange to phone it as she is unwrapping it? :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat