It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:10

Be wary of what you say to your doctor

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Be wary of what you say to your doctor

Postby RogerS » 21 Nov 2017, 14:59

OK...it's not your doctors' fault but some life insurance companies. Legal and General springs to mind.

Back in 1992 going through a period of intense work-related stress, and being in sales and marketing, my weekly units was a bit above the recommended levels. Only by about 15% and I did know how to calculate the units. I saw my GP over a completely different medical condition but in the course of the conversation he asked in passing how much was I drinking. I mentioned a little bit above and he suggested I should try and cut down to the recommended limit.

It's now in my medical notes. In 1992.

Legal and General now have a blanket ban on giving life cover to anyone who has been recommended to cutback their alcohol intake. Regardless of when. Regardless as to how much over the weekly limit.

So my life cover was refused. Even though my existing L&G policy is just about to end. Go figure. Apparently underwriting rules change all the time. At least, that's what L&G told me.

So be careful what you say.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Be wary of what you say to your doctor

Postby Rod » 22 Nov 2017, 00:10

I’m down as an ex-smoker even though I only puffed on a few fags as a teenager.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Be wary of what you say to your doctor

Postby RogerS » 06 Dec 2017, 12:25

I'm finding this whole life cover application bewildering and incomprehensible. Applied to another company and got this email message...

......has requested a medical screening to be carried out by a nurse. This is so that they can obtain up to date reading for your raised cholesterol & raised blood pressure.

The medical screening will include:

· listening to your heart and chest,
· taking your blood pressure and recording your height and weight,
· a general physical examination,
· questions relating to past and ongoing medical complaints and treatment,
· questions relating to any serious illnesses or deaths in your immediate family.

So I spent time driving back to where we're staying to wait for the nurse then driving back again. OK...if it made sense but the reality ?

......has requested a medical screening to be carried out by a nurse. This is so that they can obtain up to date reading for your raised cholesterol Not tested & raised blood pressure.

The medical screening will include:

· listening to your heart and chest, Not tested
· taking your blood pressure and recording your height and weight,
· a general physical examination, Not tested
· questions relating to past and ongoing medical complaints and treatment, Repeated the same questions that I'd already provided when I made the application
· questions relating to any serious illnesses or deaths in your immediate family.
Ditto

So what was the point ? Was it a boilerplate email ? Not sure. Reference to raised cholesterol is relevant but then not tested.

The pee test was a joke. Couldn't provide much even at the second attempt and so I simply added water from the hot tap. :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat