It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:48

central heating heat loss

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: central heating heat loss

Postby RogerS » 05 Feb 2018, 19:48

So yesterday had a brainwave and toddled off to our very steep hill that can be impossible to get up. Reason why was that a lot of water run-off wasn't going into the ditch at the side. So I simply dug some channels to re-route the water. Why Sloth and Slobbo the previous owners didn't think about doing it or any of the other denizens of the plateau is beyond me. So simple.

Oil delivery coming this morning...bloody brilliant service from Carrs. Went to look at the hill as it had been incredibly cold overnight and bingo...hardly any frozen water.

10am oil arrived. Bled the pipe. Bled the pump. Turned the boiler on. Heat.

3pm...house starting to get cold. Boiler in lockout. No idea why. Checked the oil flow...OK. Checked the photocell. Clean. Hopefully my plumber is coming to sort it out.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Feb 2018, 23:40

Have you bled the oil through again? Sounds like air in the feed pipe to me.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 06 Feb 2018, 04:54

Oh the embarrassment. :oops: My boiler is a 25/32 but my manual shows pictures for an 18/25. I looked at Youtube on what to do when you ran out of oil. That was also an 18/25. It clearly showed the guy opening the bleed valve on the pump. And so that's what I did on mine. Only the first time I opened it up, no oil came out and so I screwed it back in again. Popped indoors to double-check on Youtube I was doing things right. Went back outside to find the boiler had fired up and working. Most strange but hey? It's working. I've got tiles to cut.

Only....only...it wasn't the bleed valve was it even though it looked identical to that on the 18/25. My bleed screw is completely different. What I'd fiddled about with and ended up leaving it at maximum was the pump pressure. My plumber was most amused. LOML was definitely not.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Feb 2018, 09:08

Haha. To bleed it you need to disconnect the oil feed pipe from the pump end, put it into an empty jar, fire up the boiler a couple of times until oil flows from the pipe without sputtering, the reattach the pipe and fire her up again.

Told you to give me a shout... ;)

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 06 Feb 2018, 09:55

Think it's better to turn off the isolating valve in the boiler and disconnect the flexi pipe between it and the pump. Attach a tube to a jar and open the valve to clear any air out of the pipe between oil tank and boiler.

Then reconnect the flexi to the valve and then open the 'correct' :oops: bleed valve on the pump/burner. Then hit the lockout to get the pump going.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Feb 2018, 19:12

We are now unvented !

Even better, the CH pump has been relocated where it belongs..in the garage. So no early morning wake-up cl for Roger at 4am when the bashee starts up !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat