It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:28

Dect 6 Cordless phone and WIFI interference - SOLVED

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Dect 6 Cordless phone and WIFI interference - SOLVED

Postby HappyHacker » 06 Jan 2018, 10:38

A 5GHz router may well solve the problem but the range is generally less as 5GHz does not get through walls etc very well.

Although the router may be transmissions on 2.4GHz there are always radio frequency harmonics generated usually in multiples/divisors of 2,3,4 from the original frequency generally getting weaker as the numbers increase. It will be one of these harmonics or even other radio frequency noise generated by the router which is directly affecting the phone base station. It may not be going in via the receiver it may be directly affecting the electronics internally.

As others have suggested shield the phone base staton from the router or move them further apart even if only as a trial to see if this is the problem.

RodgerS is effectively asking the same thing but got in while I was typing, I will have to improve my typing speed.

Good luck
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby RogerS » 06 Jan 2018, 10:41

Kevin, in this case it is the ethernet cable from the router that is radiating the unwanted RF.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 06 Jan 2018, 11:22

Is the cable you are using a good quality one? The UTP cables have 8 cores that should be setup as 4 pairs the signals use 2 of the pairs. Each pair is twisted (that's what the T stands for in the name), the twist helps to stop interference getting into the pair and should also stop it radiating noise out. I have seen cables with RJ45 plugs on that are not twisted pair or have the cores incorrectly inserted into the plugs these will work for short lengths but are very noisy.
Another thing to try would be to get a STP cable, these have a screen which should help stop anything leaking out.

UTP = unscreened twisted pair
STP = screened twisted pair
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 06 Jan 2018, 12:05

Kevin thanks for that. I have tried moving the phone base station as far away as possible without success, ie more than 8 metres with a cast iron stove and brick fireplace in the way of direct line of sight with the router.

Dave, the cable I purloined from work many years ago is stamped as Enhanced Cat 5 UTP AWM2835 60°C 24 AWG E138922 CSA LL81295 FT4 ETL VERIFIED EIA/TIA CAT 5E DRAFT 11 EVERNEW GOBE202.

I will see if I can find a STP one.

Might the ferrite thingies work on the UTP cable?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 06 Jan 2018, 12:14

Andyp wrote:....
Might the ferrite thingies work on the UTP cable?

I think they should help.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 06 Jan 2018, 12:33

Well that is a good cable, the router is sending stuff into the cable that should not be there!
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Jan 2018, 13:18

Andyp wrote:.... interference from ethernet cables

Weird; my iMac is hooked up via an ethernet cable and the 'fone sits no more than 600mm from it, but it goes into an Apple 2T hard drive first of all and then onto the 'puter.

Glad the issue is fixed any way Andy - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Jan 2018, 13:22

Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:.... interference from ethernet cables

Weird; my iMac is hooked up via an ethernet cable and the 'fone sits no more than 600mm from it, but it goes into an Apple 2T hard drive first of all and then onto the 'puter.

Glad the issue is fixed any way Andy - Rob

Router manufacturers cut corners in their designs differently. But at the end of the day, RF is such a pernickety beast, it's a wonder it actually works at all !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Dect 6 Cordless phone and WIFI interference

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Jan 2018, 13:37

Andyp wrote:
This does mean that the iMac is back on Wifi which might be a bit slower ...

I'm a bit klutzish with this sort of stuff, but the Virgin techie bloke said that a 'puter connected with an ethernet cable is slightly slower than a wifi connection, ie: no cable? - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Jan 2018, 14:55

Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:

I'm a bit klutzish with this sort of stuff, but the Virgin techie bloke said that a 'puter connected with an ethernet cable is slightly slower than a wifi connection, ie: no cable? - Rob

And which is why I wouldn't touch companies like Virgin with a barge pole. He needs to be specific and say what particular wifi and what particular ethernet cable/connection. The fastest ethernet is around 10 GB/s with a Cat 6 cable. Suck that up, Virgin wi-fi
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Jan 2018, 15:40

RogerS wrote:And which is why I wouldn't touch companies like Virgin with a barge pole. He needs to be specific and say what particular wifi and what particular ethernet cable/connection. The fastest ethernet is around 10 GB/s with a Cat 6 cable. Suck that up, Virgin wi-fi

We've had absolutely no issues at all with Virgin and they've been superb in responding to any problems we've had. Current download speed is 77.81Mbps, upload 4.98MBps - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Jan 2018, 19:15

Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:

Utter horsesh!t!

I would take a wired connection over WiFi EVERY day of the week, and in my house I do where possible.

As Roger says, WiFi can run up to some very high speeds, but rarely comes close to 50% of the advertised theoretical maximum due to all the other crap flying around in the air, not to mention walls...

I have tested my iMac over a Cat6 cable (6 foot length) into the router, and the same iMac over WiFi, same distance, line of sight, with no other devices advertising WiFi signals. I tested by using a testing tool called WAN Killer to pump data between the iMac and NAS.

1000Mb cable = 840Mb real world performance
600Mb 802.11n WiFi = 242Mb real world performance

Cable is better than WiFi every time given the same circumstances for both.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Jan 2018, 22:36

TrimTheKing wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:

Utter horsesh!t!

I would take a wired connection over WiFi EVERY day of the week, and in my house I do where possible.

As Roger says, WiFi can run up to some very high speeds, but rarely comes close to 50% of the advertised theoretical maximum due to all the other crap flying around in the air, not to mention walls...

I have tested my iMac over a Cat6 cable (6 foot length) into the router, and the same iMac over WiFi, same distance, line of sight, with no other devices advertising WiFi signals. I tested by using a testing tool called WAN Killer to pump data between the iMac and NAS.

1000Mb cable = 840Mb real world performance
600Mb 802.11n WiFi = 242Mb real world performance

Cable is better than WiFi every time given the same circumstances for both.

Cheers
Mark

Calm down dear, I was only asking :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Jan 2018, 01:42

Haha. Sorry Rob, frustrates the hell out of me when alleged ‘techies’ give the layman bullsh!t answers which then become ‘truth’ because people don’t know any better.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Jan 2018, 13:41

TrimTheKing wrote:Haha. Sorry Rob, frustrates the hell out of me when alleged ‘techies’ give the layman bullsh!t answers which then become ‘truth’ because people don’t know any better.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quite alright. Your penance though, is to donate a bottle of the finest malt in the Trimble Towers whisky cabinet to a worthy cause; me! :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 07 Jan 2018, 15:15

RF coming from the ethernet cables sounds like a rubbish router to me. Get it replaced, or if you can't, turn off the wifi and plug your own access point or router into one of the ethernet ports.

I assume there is no interference with the wireless turned off in the router settings... if you have a wired device to create traffic with of course.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby HappyHacker » 07 Jan 2018, 23:16

RogerS wrote:Kevin, in this case it is the ethernet cable from the router that is radiating the unwanted RF.

Sorry, I thought I had kept unto date on the thread but had missed the two important posts. :oops:

As an aside I tried a scanner next to my ethernet cable and got some interference around 1.2ghz but very little around 2ghz, this was on a sensitive scanner and the signal disappeared when the aerial was over 6" from the cable. If the cable is transmitting enough to cause interference on the phone it sounds like a fault .
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jan 2018, 11:28

I'd go with Robert's advice. Buy a separate WiFi Access Point, disable WiFi on the ISP provided device, plug in the AP into ethernet port and see if the same happens.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 09 Jan 2018, 10:57

A few bob on a set of ferrite thingies to solve the problem is one thing. If that does not work than I will demand a new router from the ISP. Don't see why I should fork out for a WiFi access point just to prove a point.

Btw is it a bad omen that the ISP is called Free. How much do you think they spend on their equipment.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 09 Jan 2018, 13:19

I've stayed out of this one as I was late to the party.

The interference radiated from an ethernet cable should be minimal by design as there are 4 twisted pairs in there each pair carrying an equal and opposite signal so the net signal on a pair is always zero (or close to)
However I wonder if you have a one wire in one pair broken. This would upset the inherent balance on the pair and radiate like mad. There would also be horrible reflections on the line as seen by one end or other but the in built resilience of the ethernet system would normally drop the data rate a bit and just cope.

Try another cable if you have one and see if that makes a difference.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 09 Jan 2018, 21:08

Tis the only one Bob, although the missus will try and birrow one from work.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Jan 2018, 12:42

Order some off Amazon, they're peanuts!

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 12 Jan 2018, 14:08

Mark, I am not spending any more money on this. A new router is on it's way from the ISP.

I will take both phones to my FIL tomorrow just to confirm the fault is not with them

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Jan 2018, 14:49

So you don't need to plug those ethernet cables back in then?

Surely you want cables that work as they should for the tasks they are required...?

I really don't think that the router is the cause. I have never heard of WiFi 'leaking' over cables in 20 years of working in IT and in depth with WiFi, so Bob's suggestion of potentially damaged or cheap cables is more likely culprit, in which case you are going to be frustrated when you get a new router and have the same issue...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 12 Jan 2018, 15:55

That's a fair point Mark. If the new router gives the same problem then I will replace the cable.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat