It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:58

HP 6700 Officejet Premium

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

HP 6700 Officejet Premium

Postby Phil » 14 Jan 2018, 13:02

Nice printer, feed scanner, wireless connection to our laptops.

All of a sudden one morning while powering up the following message appears “Missing or failed printhead” :cry:

Having searched the Hp site and the forum, it would appear that this printhead is not removable and the printer just becomes a disposable item. :evil:
I followed all the instructions on removing the printhead, but this model does not have any release catches.

Anyone here had any experience with this type of printer and problem?

If I have to replace the printer, then it certainly will not be Hp.

Cheers from a very unhappy chappy. :cry: :cry:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: HP 6700 Officejet Premium

Postby Woodster » 14 Jan 2018, 14:59

Sorry, can’t help but from past experience I would be reluctant to buy HP stuff as well. So far I’ve had good experience with Epson and Canon inkjet and mono and colour Brother laser printers.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 14 Jan 2018, 15:19

Can't help either sorry.

Depending on what is available locally I would recommend a laser printer though. I bought a Brother printer when Amazon had an offer on and it just works. Previous inkjets just didn't like not being used for weeks. The laser printer just works as there is no liquid ink to dry out just toner.

it came with starter size toners and I bought compatible toner cartridges but still haven't needed to fit them. Must be around a year now. Wifi Colour laser was around £90 and the set of 4 colour toner cartridges was about £35.

If you only need black and white you can get a mono laser for under £40 in the UK.

edit.

remembered I'd posted about this before. It was 2 years ago! and i got the prices a bit wrong.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1676&p=20687
Last edited by Robert on 14 Jan 2018, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Phil » 14 Jan 2018, 17:14

Woodster wrote:Sorry, can’t help but from past experience I would be reluctant to buy HP stuff as well. So far I’ve had good experience with Epson and Canon inkjet and mono and colour Brother laser printers.

My experience with Hp ink jets has also not been that great.
This printer came from my late son.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 14 Jan 2018, 17:22

Robert wrote:Can't help either sorry.

Depending on what is available locally I would recommend a laser printer though. I bought a Brother printer when Amazon had an offer on and it just works. Previous inkjets just didn't like not being used for weeks. The laser printer just works as there is no liquid ink to dry out just toner.

it came with starter size toners and I bought compatible toner cartridges but still haven't needed to fit them. Must be around a year now. Wifi Colour laser was around £90 and the set of 4 colour toner cartridges was about £35.

If you only need black and white you can get a mono laser for under £40 in the UK.

edit.

remembered I'd posted about this before. It was 2 years ago! and i got the prices a bit wrong.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1676&p=20687

Robert, thanks for the feed back and the link.

If I replace it will be mono laser, and certainly not from Hp.
It must be able to scan as well, although I could go back to the single sheet scanner linked to the XP machine.

I will have a look and see what is available locally at a good price.

Phil
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 14 Jan 2018, 19:06

Rule 1 - all inkjet printers regardless of manufacturer give up the ghost sooner rather than later. HP is no worse than any other manufacturer

Rule 2 - laser printers keep on going and going. We are still using our HP mono laserprinter that is over 10 years old and still going strong. We also have a newer HP colour laserjet printer. I'd buy another HP printer. Don't dismiss them because of a bad experience with their inkjet printer - see Rule 1
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 14 Jan 2018, 20:39

I got this for my Brother.

https://www.urefilltoner.co.uk

It allows you to top up the cartridges which really cuts costs.

I disagree about HP. Their work group laser printers (£500+) are very good but the entry level ones they had where I used to work were rubbish. In fairness all lasers aimed at home users seem quite flimsy these days but our old Brother Mono laser has been very good over the past 8 years. The only reason we stopped using it was a lack of space when we bought a colour laser - Brother again.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 15 Jan 2018, 07:50

RogerS wrote:Rule 1 - all inkjet printers regardless of manufacturer give up the ghost sooner rather than later. HP is no worse than any other manufacturer

You are probably right. I have disposed of an Inkjet once before.

RogerS wrote:Rule 2 - laser printers keep on going and going. We are still using our HP mono laserprinter that is over 10 years old and still going strong. We also have a newer HP colour laserjet printer. I'd buy another HP printer. Don't dismiss them because of a bad experience with their inkjet printer - see Rule 1

I hear what you say and take note of all recommendations. I will look around for something that can meet my expectations and obviously price.

What p1sses me off big time and burns my arris is the fact that the printer is basically dead. I am unable to even use the scanner function!! :evil:

Phil
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Jan 2018, 13:28

These printers don't have a print head, it's built into the ink cartridge nowadays. Do you have a different cartridge or set you can try before throwing your toys out of the pram and binning it?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Robert » 15 Jan 2018, 13:43

HP inkjets that I've had do have the print head on the cartridge. Don't think this one does. refills seem too cheap for that.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jan 2018, 14:19

TrimTheKing wrote:These printers don't have a print head, it's built into the ink cartridge nowadays. Do you have a different cartridge or set you can try before throwing your toys out of the pram and binning it?

Cheers
Mark

Whilst I agree that many HP printers use cartridges with integrated printheads, it does seem that this model uses ink tanks rather like Epson.

eg https://www.betterinks.co.uk/browse.cfm ... 0000000543

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Jan 2018, 14:34

I stand corrected.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Phil » 15 Jan 2018, 16:55

TrimTheKing wrote:I stand corrected.

Cheers
Mark

Thanks, saves a long reply! :lol:

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Woodster » 16 Jan 2018, 00:06

I should have added earlier that our current Canon Inkjet was introduced in 2005 and ours is still running perfectly on compatible inks despite being left in a cupboard unused for over a year.
For colour photos you still can’t beat an inkjet and I used to run a £10k + Canon colour laser at work.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat