It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:50

LED Lights

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

LED Lights

Postby Mark Hancock » 22 Jan 2018, 20:02

I'm thinking about changing the tube lighting in my workshop and have been looking at LED batten (?) lights and am now getting confused. The workshop ceiling is quite high so any suggestions on wattage, lumens (?) would be greatly appreciated. Also do they just wire into the lighting circuit or do I have to do something else? I'm really hoping it's just a straight swop and being able to continue using the existing pulling cord switches.
Cheers
Mark
Mark

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
Mark Hancock
Seedling

Name: Mark Hancock

Re: LED Lights

Postby DaveL » 22 Jan 2018, 20:11

So what lights are you currently using?
In my shop I had florescent tube lights which I have swapped the tubes over to led ones. The first ones I bought needed the fitting to be rewired, but the latest ones are are direct swap and change out the starter, no need to open the fitting. I am very pleased with them, instant light even when the shop is cold.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jan 2018, 22:31

Check out this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2813&hilit=LED+panel

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 23 Jan 2018, 07:19

They will be a straight swap re wiring Mark. However knowing the height of your workshop down in sunny Worcestershire :( I'd buy one of those panels just to see if they work for you. My take on all LED lights are that they are nowhere near the brightness that the manufacturers claim.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mark Hancock » 23 Jan 2018, 11:13

Thanks guys for the information and links. By the way RogerS you'll be glad to know it's raining down in sunny Worcestershire :)

I've been through the links a couple of times and maybe I'm more confused :eusa-doh: I understand the bit about looks and style but are LED lights suppose to be more energy efficient i.e. less power consumption or is the benefit that they give extra light?
9fingers (Bob?) in the haven thread seems to imply there is no real saving on energy costs and yet a link from the UKW to replacement LED tubes at Screwfix https://www.screwfix.com/p/philips-led-t8-tube-g13-cool-white-2000lm-1514mm-20w/7685t?_requestid=374950 seems to imply you get twice the light for the wattage.
Must admit I don't know what wattage the present tubes are but I do like the idea of just swopping the tubes and starter if there is the benefit of more light over the lathes.
Mark
Mark

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
Mark Hancock
Seedling

Postby RogerS » 23 Jan 2018, 11:24

Mark, as Bob says, fluorescents are pretty energy efficient especially compared to normal incandescent or halogen bulbs.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mark Hancock » 23 Jan 2018, 11:29

RogerS wrote:Mark, as Bob says, fluorescents are pretty energy efficient especially compared to normal incandescent or halogen bulbs.

Thanks Roger. But how do they compare to LED's?
Think I need to decide if it's additional light I'm after or energy efficiency?
Mark

Mark Hancock
Seedling

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Jan 2018, 11:36

Mark

Have you read that thread I linked to and watched my video?

That is a single panel in a 30sq m workshop (building site...) and its very bright. I’m planning on putting in 6 and I reckon that will be bordering on the brightness of a white supergiant! :D

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mark Hancock » 23 Jan 2018, 11:40

TrimTheKing wrote:Mark

Have you read that thread I linked to and watched my video?

That is a single panel in a 30sq m workshop (building site...) and its very bright. I’m planning on putting in 6 and I reckon that will be bordering on the brightness of a white supergiant! :D

Cheers
Mark

Yes I watched the video and was impressed by the brightness. Is that the real benefit of LED lights, you get more light for the energy used?
Mark
Mark

Mark Hancock
Seedling

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Jan 2018, 11:41

I’m no expert but that’s what I understand yes.

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 23 Jan 2018, 11:52

For your work, Mark, I would recommend a panel if you go down the LED route. Downlighters are too directional.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mark Hancock » 23 Jan 2018, 11:57

TrimTheKing wrote:I’m no expert but that’s what I understand yes.

Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark. Feel I might be getting somewhere :)
Cheers
Mark
Mark

Mark Hancock
Seedling

Postby Mark Hancock » 23 Jan 2018, 12:02

RogerS wrote:For your work, Mark, I would recommend a panel if you go down the LED route. Downlighters are too directional.

I understand what you're saying with the panels but it would involve attaching them to the gantry above the lathes. With the tubes it just looks like a simply swop. I also have angle poise lights at each lathe with 100 W spots in them so I'll look at changing those as well.
I'm basically lazy Roger so looking for the easy option :lol:
Cheers
Mark
Mark

Mark Hancock
Seedling

Postby RogerS » 23 Jan 2018, 12:05

Mark Hancock wrote:....
Cheers
Mark

Get a GALMI !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Jan 2018, 12:06

Cheers
Mark

Maybe just about but it is also about the effectiveness of the light ie the colour temperature and the directionality of the light.

The figures I put in the earlier post do not support a massive increase in efficiency for LED over fluorescent tubes but the life is better and the capital cost higher as is the replacement cost. I can find no data for the efficiency and life of the switch mode power supplies used by LEDs but generally speaking the high voltage capacitors used in SMPSUs, LED bulbs and compact fluorescents are the main source of failures.
I use led lighting in my bookcases and the Christmas lights and have had 3 SMPSUs fail in the last year and have resorted to a linear power supply dug out from the junk box ex NetGear router.

If you are keen on LEDS then why not buy one to try and compare alongside flu tubes?
You can buy an awful lot of flu tubes (£3 58w T8 x 5') for the cost of those LED panels though.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mark Hancock » 23 Jan 2018, 12:15

RogerS wrote:
Cheers
Mark

Get a GALMI !

What the h... is that ? :?:
Mark

Mark Hancock
Seedling

Postby Mark Hancock » 23 Jan 2018, 12:23

9fingers wrote:

Cheers
Mark

Maybe just about but it is also about the effectiveness of the light ie the colour temperature and the directionality of the light.

The figures I put in the earlier post do not support a massive increase in efficiency for LED over fluorescent tubes but the life is better and the capital cost higher as is the replacement cost. I can find no data for the efficiency and life of the switch mode power supplies used by LEDs but generally speaking the high voltage capacitors used in SMPSUs, LED bulbs and compact fluorescents are the main source of failures.
I use led lighting in my bookcases and the Christmas lights and have had 3 SMPSUs fail in the last year and have resorted to a linear power supply dug out from the junk box ex NetGear router.

If you are keen on LEDS then why not buy one to try and compare alongside flu tubes?
You can buy an awful lot of flu tubes (£3 58w T8 x 5') for the cost of those LED panels though.

Bob

Thanks Bob. That's exactly the conclusion I've come to; try one out and see what the difference is.
I've been very wary of all these changes with lights over the years recalling all the hype about the energy saving bulbs when they were being given away by the utility companies and how they were so long lasting. I've had to replace more of them in the last 10 years than all of the filament bulbs over the previous 25 years.

Mark
Mark

Mark Hancock
Seedling

Postby RogerS » 23 Jan 2018, 13:36

Mark Hancock wrote:
RogerS wrote:
Cheers
Mark

Get a GALMI !

What the h... is that ? :?:

Get A Little Man In !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 23 Jan 2018, 14:10

Mark Hancock wrote:Thanks Bob. That's exactly the conclusion I've come to; try one out and see what the difference is.
I've been very wary of all these changes with lights over the years recalling all the hype about the energy saving bulbs when they were being given away by the utility companies and how they were so long lasting. I've had to replace more of them in the last 10 years than all of the filament bulbs over the previous 25 years.

Mark

You’re right to be wary. The longevity of some of the LED’s is no where near that claimed for some of them.
Safety is another issue that’s been flagged with some of the units being downright dangerous.

I think the best advice is to only buy from reputable manufacturers. If you can tell the difference also make sure it’s got a proper CE mark on it and not the China Export mark!
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Jan 2018, 14:25

Woodster wrote:....
I think the best advice is to only buy from reputable manufacturers. ...!

Yup. TLC-Direct is my Go-To electrical supplier of choice
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mark Hancock » 26 Jan 2018, 19:52

Quick update.

Took the plunge and bought a straight replacement tube from Screwfix as it was easy to collect from there on the way to the workshop. Got a Phillips 16W one taking Bob's advice to use a reputable make.

It took less than a minute to fit and my initial impression is that it is brighter and a much cleaner light than the old 40W tube that it replaced.

Did a rather crude calculation when I got home to see what "cost saving" there would be and it's not great. By my calculation it'll take about 2 1/2 years to recoup the cost. Having said that the benefit of the apparent better light out weights that consideration. I'll see how it goes when I do a full 10 hours in the workshop on Monday :)

If happy with it I'll look at TLC Roger for the rest of the replacement - used them a number of time in the past and very happy with their service.

Thank again for all the advice - I've now caught up with modern lighting, even looking at changing the headlights on my car :D

Cheers
Mark
Mark

Mark Hancock
Seedling

Postby DaveL » 27 Jan 2018, 10:24

Careful with the headlights, most led headlights that are from China do not have the correct approval for use in the UK, if you fit them and and then have an accident in the dark the insurance company may be a problem.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mark Hancock » 27 Jan 2018, 11:00

DaveL wrote:Careful with the headlights, most led headlights that are from China do not have the correct approval for use in the UK, if you fit them and and then have an accident in the dark the insurance company may be a problem.

Thanks Dave. I had noted that from the discussion I've been following. The ones suggested are approved.
Cheers
Mark
Mark

Mark Hancock
Seedling

Postby Mark Hancock » 13 Feb 2018, 10:49

Well I've been converted and have now changed all the tubes in the workshop to LED's. :)

On the face of it I get better light for less than half the power consumption. The only unknown is how long the tubes last but considering the guarantees, the initial outlay and the benefit of the better light I'm not too worried about that.

Roger, tried using TLC Direct but they wouldn't ship to Worcester and picking up from them wasn't realistic so went with LYCO whose service was fantastic - ordered Saturday, delivered Monday. It was a shame about TLC as their brand seemed a better more efficient version but still happy with the outcome.

Thanks again for all the advice and help.
Cheers
Mark
Mark

Mark Hancock
Seedling

Postby RogerS » 13 Feb 2018, 17:29

Mark Hancock wrote:.....

Roger, tried using TLC Direct but they wouldn't ship to Worcester and picking up from them wasn't realistic so went with LYCO whose service was fantastic - ordered Saturday, delivered Monday....

Thanks again for all the advice and help.
Cheers
Mark

That's interesting to know, Mark. Do you have a link to the lights you were after from TLC ? Need to make sure that I don't factor them in to my decisions re 'workshop' lighting.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat