It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:49

Support for lead roof

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Support for lead roof

Postby RogerS » 04 Feb 2018, 19:05

Guess this might be a question for Mike.

You guys may recall me mentioning making something like this for LOML.

I've just worked out the weight of a lead roof (using Code 3) for the size of building she'd like (approx 8m x 3.7m) and it's about 500kg. Looking at the construction it seems to be very open inside without any beams stopping the walls from splaying out. It looks smaller than ours and so I'm wondering if the extra length of our long walls will need some internal ties between the opposite walls ?

Or maybe make the roof plates (if that's the right word) out of a long torsion box ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Support for lead roof

Postby Mike G » 04 Feb 2018, 19:43

Lot's of ways of skinning this particular cat, Roger. If you can get a couple of ties across at plate level then you won't need a torsion box or anything like. What sort of span are you talking about?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 04 Feb 2018, 23:34

Mike G wrote:Lot's of ways of skinning this particular cat, Roger. If you can get a couple of ties across at plate level then you won't need a torsion box or anything like. What sort of span are you talking about?

Thanks, Mike, for the quick reply. It's 8m x 3.7m.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 05 Feb 2018, 08:28

If you've got the headroom, Roger, then a couple of ties (could be stainless steel wire, steel rods, chain, chunky green oak, whatever) at plate level* and a decent lump of timber for the ridge (say 200x45) and you've got a sound roof. Don't forget to make a proper fixed joint at the corners (a screwed half-lap is fine).

Oh, and Code 3 is no good for this job. You'll need Code 4, and if I was specifying it for a client, it would be Code 5. You probably would struggle to find Code 3 in those sorts of sheets anyway.

* The ties have to hold the plates, but they don't have to be horizontal. You'll often see a hanger from the underside of the ridge beam pulling the tie up significantly in the middle. With rods, the junction can be a hook on the end of the vertical, or a section from a biggish circular steel tube with nuts on the ends of the (threaded) rods to tighten everything up.........or anything else that takes your fancy.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 05 Feb 2018, 13:14

Many thanks, Mike.

Re headroom...is there a maximum height for the building that I can go up to and does that include any finials or decorative balls ?

Mike G wrote:If you've got the headroom, Roger, then a couple of ties (could be stainless steel wire, steel rods, chain, chunky green oak, whatever) at plate level* and a decent lump of timber for the ridge (say 200x45) and you've got a sound roof. Don't forget to make a proper fixed joint at the corners (a screwed half-lap is fine).corner joints referring to the wall plates ?

Oh, and Code 3 is no good for this job. You'll need Code 4, and if I was specifying it for a client, it would be Code 5. You probably would struggle to find Code 3 in those sorts of sheets anyway. Why would you not use Code 3? I know it's thin but .....

* The ties have to hold the plates, but they don't have to be horizontal. You'll often see a hanger from the underside of the ridge beam pulling the tie up significantly in the middle. With rods, the junction can be a hook on the end of the vertical, or a section from a biggish circular steel tube with nuts on the ends of the (threaded) rods to tighten everything up.........or anything else that takes your fancy.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 05 Feb 2018, 14:27

Under permitted development rights? If more than 2 metres from your boundary then the max height is 4m. I don't know if any council would be bothered by finials etc which exceed this. Your risk, I'm afraid.

Code 3 lead will flap about in the wind. It could even blow off the roof. As I said, I doubt you'd be able to obtain it in the sheet sizes necessary for this roof anyway.

Yes, I meant the corner joints of the wall plates.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Feb 2018, 09:58

This roof cropped up in the middle of the night as I lay awake........

The ridge beam would be only 4.3m long. With substantial timbers for the hip rafters and the ridge beam, there would be no need of any ties at all. I'm not geared up for calculating such a structure, but empirically, make those of 220x45 softwood and (providing the wall plates are fixed at the corner as previously described) you'll be fine. All joints need to be well made, of course. The infill rafters obviously don't need to be the same size, so you will end up showing the underside of the principal timbers.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Feb 2018, 17:05

Thanks Mike...that really gives me a very good steer. Interesting point about the wind. Not thought of that.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 06 Feb 2018, 20:43

Roger, excuse me for asking but are you going to stay there long enough to get a sensible amount of use from something like this? Or are you making plans for you next house/garden already?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 07 Feb 2018, 00:05

I was thinking the same thing as you seem to hate the place, weather and seem to be having no end of troubles.
I would have thought you’d do the bare minimum, cut your losses, sell up and move to sunnier climes.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 07 Feb 2018, 05:22

Good points both but to maximise any future sale returns one needs to present the property in the best possible light. But you're right. We do hate the place and what it is doing to us and has done to us.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat