It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:15

Tiling question

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Tiling question

Postby RogerS » 05 Feb 2018, 19:27

OK...damn glad that I got rid of the second tiling muppet. He'd used massively thick beds of tile adhesive (costing me a fortune in the process) rather than build up with other stuff like cementitious boards or self-levelling compound. As a result, the muppet left a load of voids underneath some of the tiles.

How did I discover this? The sound of a crack as I happened to step on the wrong place was a bit of a giveaway. So remove the cracked tile and can see lots of voids under other tiles.

So I plan to pour in some runny self-levelling compound as I don't really want to take them up.

The bad news was that I clipped one of the adjacent tiles and so that one had to come up as well :( leaving a bed of tile adhesive.

So question, chaps ....

Could I get away with putting down something like a thin coat of No Nails or gripfill or something similar rather than go through the fag of getting up all that tile adhesive ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Tiling question

Postby 9fingers » 05 Feb 2018, 21:31

It looks like you only need a bit more tile adhesive to make up the levels?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby MJ80 » 05 Feb 2018, 21:38

My tiler would gripfill or silicone little tiles down (think mosiac) if there was something after grouting that needed doing in a small area. For anything that size it would be adhesive. I would scrape it back so you had enough depth to butter the back of the tile. Sorry to see the state of what he did :cry:
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Feb 2018, 19:13

There's more over on the main The Builders Are Coming thread.

The dire 'lack of workmanship' continues.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat