It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:41

My call to Virgin Media today

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

My call to Virgin Media today

Postby selectortone » 08 Feb 2018, 19:46

Been trying to register online for the free V6 TV box upgrade. Keep getting this:

Oops! Something went wrong.
Sorry about this - a hiccup on our end means we can't process your order online right now. If you're still interested in a free upgrade to our Virgin TV V6 box, just give us a call on 0800 052 6493.

Had 'mixed' sucess with their helpline before but finally decided to bite the bullet. After LOTS of option selecting and then being told to phone a different number here's how the call went after I finally got to speak to a human being:

Virgin: How can I help you?

Me: I'd like to get my free V6 upgrade

Virgin: There will be a charge of £20

Me: But it's free...

Virgin: Where did you see this?

Me: On your website!

Virgin: I'm sorry sir, the free offer expired at the end of December

Me: Thank you, goodbye.

That's an hour of my life I'm never getting back.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Re: My call to Virgin Media today

Postby RogerS » 08 Feb 2018, 22:41

You're lucky that you managed to speak to someone !

I do agree with you re helplines which (other than Zen who I know will give exemplary service and support) I'm always very chary of trying mobile provider/energycompany helplines. My bank is fine as I can guarantee that at the end of the conversation and profuse apologies on their side, I will have £20 sitting in my account as compensation. I digress.

I'm with Three. Driving round and about our area for ages, I'd resigned myself to a poor 3G or even 4G signal. Finally last Saturday, I really needed it as I'd got lost and needed Google Maps. Spoke to customer service who within minutes had put me through to Level 2 support. A delightful Indian lady. While waiting for things to reboot I asked her if she was in India. Her initial response (as anticipated) was a bit guarded but when I told her that I'd been there twice and loved the country and the people, we spent a very pleasant 10 minutes talking about places in common that we'd visited. She sorted my problem out (settings screwed up on my phone) very quickly.

Three days later, she called me to check that everything was still working fine. I rarely bother to respond to those texts 'We would like to hear about your experience on ...' but I did on this occasion. She deserved to get good feedback.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 08 Feb 2018, 22:47

It does still say it’s free.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/tem ... -TV-V6-box

But only for “eligible” customers? You’re obviously not eligible! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 09 Feb 2018, 00:07

We have the V6 box and paid the £20. Don't regret the change. The Tivo box would just whirr for ages if you pressed the interactive button for iplayer or whatever. it loads eventually but you lose the will while waiting. The V6 box just works. Press interactive and it is there. No more can't record because x, y and z are already recording.

We have a second box which is still a Tivo. seems so slow now. Both boxes are wired to my home network. I can watch what is recorded on one box using the other. Watching tivo recordings on the V6 is fast, watching V6 recordings on the Tivo is slow responding.

As my retentions discount has run out the bill however is getting out of hand. Need to call retentions (thinking of leaving option hidden under change of address option on phone menu) and haggle again. Need to look up sky/BT options to barter with.

edit. I read somewhere Virgin are changing to MP4 from whatever it was. Half the data for same quality. Seems some channels are MP4 and some aren't. The box fast forwards by increasing the data rate not by playback speed. Consequently some programs fast forward at breakneck speed and some are normal. The V6 copes better with that too.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 09 Feb 2018, 06:38

Robert wrote:..... The Tivo box would just whirr for ages if you pressed the interactive button for iplayer or whatever. it loads eventually but you lose the will while waiting. ....

We have a second box which is still a Tivo. seems so slow now. ....

Oh, that is pure schadenfreude.

My wife was a very keen advocate of the original TiVo. It was perfect for her and we didn't mind paying the subscription for the programme guide. Then TiVo got seduced by Virgin and TiVo corporate greed took over. TiVo decided to bin all support for the original TiVo and the subscription service. Fortunately a band of enthusiasts got together and reverse engineered the software on TiVo, set up their own free programme guide. So the original TiVo lived on.

Looks like the writing is on the wall for the Virgin TiVo box and I for one won't shed any tears.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby selectortone » 09 Feb 2018, 10:40

Woodster wrote:It does still say it’s free.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/tem ... -TV-V6-box

But only for “eligible” customers? You’re obviously not eligible! :lol:

Yeah, it's still free, and I'm eligible. I'd just lost the will to live by that stage. They are rolling out the V6 to all their TiVo customers so I'll get one eventually. I'm not hugely fussed - the slow speed of the TiVo suits my lifestyle :mrgreen:
selectortone
Sapling

Postby selectortone » 09 Feb 2018, 13:16

Well, the guy I originally spoke to has called back, apologised for having the wrong information, and organised my free upgrade. So well done Virgin, I'm impressed.

I jumped ship from BT a few years ago after moving to my current home in 2000 and sufferiing literally years of intermittent phone and broadband - despite only being a few hundred yards from the nearest cabinet and less than a mile away from the nearest exchange. I must say, Virgin do put it right pretty quickly when I've had a problem. They've upgraded my broadband speed regularly for free, and I'm on 100Mbps now with the basic package. For someone who used to log into his office with a 64kbps dailup modem back in the late 80s that's like science fiction.

I'd rather be boiled in oil than have anything whatsoever to do with BT again.
selectortone
Sapling

Postby Woodster » 09 Feb 2018, 13:26

Are they just sending you a new box to plug in yourself or are they delivering it attached to an engineer? :D

I suppose I might as well get one if it’s free. Maybe it will help with occasional signal breakup?
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby selectortone » 09 Feb 2018, 13:28

I'm installing it myself. I have some stuff recorded on my Tivo I want to watch before I uninstall it so I'd rather do it when it suits me. The install is pretty simple by all accounts.
selectortone
Sapling

Postby Woodster » 09 Feb 2018, 15:40

Ta, thanks for that.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Feb 2018, 18:54

We don't have a Virgin box but do use their broadband, but not email addys. Once I've been through their detestable 'fone line system where you need to keep on punching in options :evil: I've always managed to speak to someone and get any issues sorted out fairly swiftly. SWIMBO even keeps a record of when the broadband occasionally drops out (which doesn't happen often) and they then stump up a rebate for the lost online time. No complaints thus far with Virgin - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat