It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:24

My New Work Jacket.

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: My New Work Jacket.

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Feb 2018, 21:53

Pinch wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:I try to go for the crumpled look and consistently overdo it!! :D

It's so difficult to gauge when buying online. I have jackets ranging from 42 to 46 all of which fit me. :P

The crumpled look?

When I was working in the office. Crumpled. You don't appear to be a threat to anyone, then you go for the jugular!

Before that, I was a uniform for 30m years, and even then looked crumpled!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

My New Work Jacket.

Postby Rod » 17 Feb 2018, 00:36

When I started work in the late 60’s as a Civil Engineer, we always wore ties and when in the drawing office we wore brown lab coats. In the office, sports coats but as you progressed up the management scale, suits were the expected attire.
Your seniors called you by your surname and you called your seniors Sir. When the big boss entered the room you stopped what you were doing and stood to attention.
On site we wore black donkey jackets, welly boots or steel toed boots and a hard hat. High vis stuff was to come later.
As time went on things gradually relaxed and first names got to be used. But the wearing of suits and ties continued. With stricter H&S laws, high vis clothing became mandatory and has even stretched to Kevlar gloves and safety glasses.
Now retired, suites and ties are reserved for special events, sadly such as funerals.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Feb 2018, 13:57

Rod wrote:When I started work in the late 60’s as a Civil Engineer, we always wore ties and when in the drawing office we wore brown lab coats. In the office, sports coats but as you progressed up the management scale, suits were the expected attire.
Your seniors called you by your surname and you called your seniors Sir. When the big boss entered the room you stopped what you were doing and stood to attention.
On site we wore black donkey jackets, welly boots or steel toed boots and a hard hat. High vis stuff was to come later.
As time went on things gradually relaxed and first names got to be used. But the wearing of suits and ties continued. With stricter H&S laws, high vis clothing became mandatory and has even stretched to Kevlar gloves and safety glasses.
Now retired, suites and ties are reserved for special events, sadly such as funerals.

Rod

That was very formal Rod. When I started at about the same time as you as a Plessey apprentice ties and suits didn't quite go with the Lambretta GT200 I was zooming around on at the time :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 17 Feb 2018, 22:39

Mod or Rocker?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Feb 2018, 23:59

Rod wrote:Mod or Rocker?

Rod

I had an identity crisis in the 60s - I rode a BSA 250 with leather jacket under a parka! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 18 Feb 2018, 11:32

Jacket and tie on OB's plus wet weather gear - used to be ventile jackets but then plastic took over. Later on in life, suit and tie. I miss the opportunity to 'dress up' TBH.

The one thing I've noticed is the difference in attitude by counter staff in merchants, woodyards etc. Roll up in a decent pair of cords and casual jacket you tend to be a bit dismissed. Roll up in a scruffy, paint covered, adhesive covered pair of jeans and see the difference ! Roll up at the timber yard with bags of chips for the lads and you'll definitely see a difference!

Of course it also works the other way for the fairer sex. Not sure if I've mentioned this story before or not. The Ring cycle was on at the Royal Opera House. Missed getting tickets online for Das Rheingold but knew you could queue up early to get one as they always held some back. Living in Central London, getting into the queue at 6am was a no-brainer and I was next to a lovely young lady. She was, like me casually, nay, scruffily dressed. Well, you would be if you're going to lounge around on the pavement for several hours. And, as is my wont, got chatting to her. She turned out to be an upcoming Brazilian opera singer and we spent a very companionable couple of hours waiting for the Box Office to open. We got our tickets and I, being a bit of a smooth git then, invited her for a couple of glasses of Perrier Jouet, as you do, in the champagne bar before the performance.

I arrived all suited up and waiting in the foyer I was subtly aware of a change in the dynamic of those present. Looking around to see what was the cause, my jaw nearly fell to the floor as it was my 'champagne date', dressed up to the 9's and redefining 'drop-dead gorgeous'. Gone had the scruffy, hair down queue companion. Her clothes were stunning, her hair dressed up... ooh err, missus. I think I'm in love. I swear that, as we entered the bar, the conversation stopped. 8-)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Feb 2018, 13:16

Rod wrote:Mod or Rocker?

Rod

Sort of Mod, but not completely over the top with the Lambretta festooned with mirrors, although I once met a lad with a similar machine who actually believed that 'go faster' stripes on the rear panels did, in fact, male it go faster! :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 18 Feb 2018, 13:29

RogerS wrote:Jacket and tie on OB's plus wet weather gear - used to be ventile jackets but then plastic took over. Later on in life, suit and tie. I miss the opportunity to 'dress up' TBH.

The one thing I've noticed is the difference in attitude by counter staff in merchants, woodyards etc. Roll up in a decent pair of cords and casual jacket you tend to be a bit dismissed. Roll up in a scruffy, paint covered, adhesive covered pair of jeans and see the difference ! Roll up at the timber yard with bags of chips for the lads and you'll definitely see a difference!

Of course it also works the other way for the fairer sex. Not sure if I've mentioned this story before or not. The Ring cycle was on at the Royal Opera House. Missed getting tickets online for Das Rheingold but knew you could queue up early to get one as they always held some back. Living in Central London, getting into the queue at 6am was a no-brainer and I was next to a lovely young lady. She was, like me casually, nay, scruffily dressed. Well, you would be if you're going to lounge around on the pavement for several hours. And, as is my wont, got chatting to her. She turned out to be an upcoming Brazilian opera singer and we spent a very companionable couple of hours waiting for the Box Office to open. We got our tickets and I, being a bit of a smooth git then, invited her for a couple of glasses of Perrier Jouet, as you do, in the champagne bar before the performance.

I arrived all suited up and waiting in the foyer I was subtly aware of a change in the dynamic of those present. Looking around to see what was the cause, my jaw nearly fell to the floor as it was my 'champagne date', dressed up to the 9's and redefining 'drop-dead gorgeous'. Gone had the scruffy, hair down queue companion. Her clothes were stunning, her hair dressed up... ooh err, missus. I think I'm in love. I swear that, as we entered the bar, the conversation stopped. 8-)

I see it's got busy in here... 8-)

Nice story Roger - you're a chap after my own heart you ole smoothie. :D

Was it a completely successful evening?
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby RogerS » 18 Feb 2018, 15:07

Pinch wrote:.....
Was it a completely successful evening?

The opera was excellent !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat