It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:14

Tel's adventures in guitarmaking

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Tel's adventures in guitarmaking

Postby selectortone » 12 Feb 2018, 15:38

Inspired by the Men In Sheds - The Luthier thread:

I did a three month residential course in guitar making at the Totnes School of Guitar Making back in 2006, a year after my wife passed away. I stayed in a B&B in Totnes for the duration and was able to completely immerse myself. The course hours were nine to five but the six course students all had keys to the workshop and I worked ten or more hours a day at my guitar, weekends included. It was the best therapy anyone could ever have devised.

I documented my little odyssey and posted it on my website. This was before the days of easy blogging so I did it all in a desktop publishing package (Serif Page Plus if anyone's interested). It looks a bit dated now but it gets the message across:

Tel's Adventures In Guitarmaking
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Re: Tel's adventures in guitarmaking

Postby Robert » 12 Feb 2018, 18:20

I enjoyed looking through that. Lots of work which as you say was what you needed at that time. Sorry to hear of your loss.

I've tried learning guitar a couple of times but never got very far. I have one extra wide finger that got a bit squashed in a work accident - not really a problem if you are determined enough, but it gives me an excuse for failing to play notes cleanly and not persevering.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 12 Feb 2018, 18:24

What a fabulous blog, Tel, and that course must have been a profoundly, moving and cathartic moment in your life.

Many, many thanks for sharing.

Roger
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Feb 2018, 18:38

I dreamed of building a guitar at the TSoGM, back in the 90's while I was building mine at evening classes in Princes Risborough!

Nice blog.

Nice guitar.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodster » 12 Feb 2018, 18:56

Lots of interesting stuff there Terry. Thanks for posting.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby selectortone » 12 Feb 2018, 19:05

Thanks guys!

Malc, I too dreamed of doing the TSoGM course for many years. I'm sure you remember that it was advertised in all the guitar mags back in the 80s and 90s. I was made redundant by mutual agreement after Rose passed and my son was at home doing his phD and could be trusted to look after the house. I talked it over with him and he was all for it. So I thought... why not? It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

And the icing on the cake: I got a call a couple of months after I finshed the course from an old friend who I had worked for in the 70s. He was setting up the guitar dept at a musical instrument retailer here in Bournemouth and asked if I'd like to work there as his guitar technician. Would I? You Bet!
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Feb 2018, 20:39

Brilliant, Tel!

I can only imagine what it must be like losing one's wife. But I can imagine finding a focus to help you through a period.

I'd have done the same; stayed until I should be in bed just to keep the focus going.

Thanks for sharing your blog and story.

I've decided what I will likely do now my 'shop is nearing completion (the electrician called round today to see about connecting, cos' I've nearly finished fixing, laying and burying the SWA cable) - I will buy one of those Ozzy kits and make an electric 12 string copy, and then I will also make, hopefully from scratch, a 12 string acoustic. Before I decide on starting from scratch, there's a company in America that sell high end kits, and I'll contact them and see if they do a 12 string.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby DaveL » 12 Feb 2018, 21:52

Thanks for posting this, what a great read, you made a wonderful instrument.

I many years ago played electric bass, I have been collecting all the bits for making a P bass copy and if it turns out half as nice as your six string I will be very pleased.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby fiveeyes » 13 Feb 2018, 01:33

Firstly..condolences to you and yours.
I shall read your blog when I get settled in SoCal. Wife and I are leaving in the morning, and no time at the mo'.
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Feb 2018, 09:39

Thanks for sharing that Terry. Great read
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy