It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:09

Driving from Dorset to Southern Spain.

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Postby Pinch » 12 Feb 2018, 20:50

Towards the end of May, my brother-in-law and me are driving from Dorset to Southern Spain, and then back again. The original idea was to take my old Jag, but that's gone now, so we're taking my old Saab 93 Estate which will be much more economical and such a comfy car to drive.

'Ere she be...

We're going to share the driving and complete the journey one way in 3 days - each leg set at roughly 500 mile stints.

First leg: Dorset to - Le Mans, France, via the Euro Tunnel. (I don't like being on the sea or in it!)
Second leg: Le Mans, France to - Burgos, Northern Spain.
Third leg: Burgos, Northern Spain to - Periana, Southern Spain.

My wife (Mrs P), brother-in-law's wife and Mrs P's daughter & granddaughter are flying there. We're driving because not only do I not like being on or in the sea, I don't like flying either. In fact, I'm also not that keen on hot climates! :lol:

It will certainly be an experience and it was all my brother-in-law's idea.

Although I've driven in France on three separate holidays, I've never driven the full length of France or Spain before. I'm prepared with the essentials, but there are probably some elements where I'm not prepared. If any of you guys have experience with this kind of trip and can offer some valuable advice, pointers, things to be aware of, the do's & don'ts, or general recommendations, I will be very grateful.

Cheers.
8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: Driving from Dorset to Southern Spain.

Postby selectortone » 12 Feb 2018, 22:33

I've done a few trips to the South of France by road back in the 90s.

I would advise you to avoid French public holidays if you can - one trip I made with the family was on the day of "le depart" - black Saturday, the first day of the French summer holidays when everybody and his dog is on the autoroutes. It was hell on earth.

Secondly, have plenty of the folding stuff for autoroute tolls.

Thirdly, do a check on the price of fuel and fill up before you leave the UK if it's cheaper over here. A quick check suggests petrol is about 10p/litre cheaper here at the moment.

Fourth: I always found the Le Campanile hotel chain good value for a cheap stopover.

Last, take your time, be prepared for rude drivers and have fun!

edit: a good read here (including days to avoid): https://about-france.com/driving.htm
Last edited by selectortone on 12 Feb 2018, 22:55, edited 3 times in total.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Jimmy Mack » 12 Feb 2018, 22:49

I have no tips or anything sensible to offer... just to say this sounds fantastic! I'd love to do something like this!

(Wrong thread/lazy post) lovely jacket too!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 12 Feb 2018, 23:30

On the autoroutes they have service stations that put ours to shame (not difficult). I'd suggest you use them. It's very easy to speed on the autoroutes and unless things have changed hardly any police. They can time you between toll stations though so if your average speed is too high you could be in trouble. Of course it could be just internet rumours and nothing happens but just in case...
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Feb 2018, 01:10

There are some French dwellers who will no doubt assist but one I seem to remember is that by law you need to carry 2 (TWO) personal alcohol breath testers in the car with you. One to use if they pull you over and a spare in case you get pulled a second time. Might be worth stocking up on a handful to take with you...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 13 Feb 2018, 01:19

Back in the 80’s we used to drive through France to the Costa Bravo, so I’m a bit out of touch with modern times. Generally from Le Havre or Cherbourg taking the Ferry from Portsmouth and I think Southampton at one stage?
Your trip using the tunnel is quite a dogleg.
Outbound journey we took the N20 (I think) stopping at Brive, on the return journey we took the Autoroutes toll stopping somewhere near the Loire.
Make sure you have all the kit the different countries require - triangles, high visibility vests, breathalysers, spare bulbs etc etc and check out their driving laws. France used to have lower speed limits when it was raining.
Back in the 8O’s there were warnings of hijackers in Spain, so the advice was not to stop for anybody and keep your doors locked!
How times have changed, fuel was much cheaper in France then and the advice was to go over with bare minimum and fill up there

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Feb 2018, 10:06

Shame you don't like the Ferries Paul. You are doubling your mileage on that trip to Le Mans, you have a comfy car to do it mind. On an overnighter from Portsmouth arriving Caen at 6.00am (after a few hours in a cabin) you could be in Burgos the same night.

Petrol SP95 is €1.45 (gasoil about 10 cents cheaper) at the supermarkets at the moment. You will pay a lot more on the motorways but if you keep yours eyes open you can normally spot the large Centre Commercials close to the junctions and find cheaper fuel there.

No lorries on a Sunday. and there are no school holidays towards the end of May so I would not expect anything more than the usual rush hour build ups around major towns.

NB you are are supposed to have a breath test kit but you will NOT be fined for not having one. Ther are a con, they are unreliable and have a relatively short shelf life. You still need all the other stuff, bulb kit, triangle, first aid kit, high vis jacket, beam defectors. Oh and you sat nav is not allowed to show speed camera locations! I have been stopped 3 times in 10 years and have never been asked to show I had any of the above. Caveat Emptor or something similar.

And please don't make the mistake of thinking this signs means cross roads. IT DOESN'T
It means Priority a Droite or Expect Cars to come zooming out of insignificant side roads when you appear to be in the "main road".

Enjoy your drive and if you change your mind about the ferry we are only 15 mins away.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby MJ80 » 13 Feb 2018, 12:58

We do some pretty major road trips quite regularly.
Take it easy and don't rush, the fun is the trip.
You don't have to do it all on the motorway, we often use roads running parallel to the motorway for a bit of a break. You can use google maps to give you a route avoiding motorways, I just had a play and you can get a nice route all the way down.
So go off the beaten track, trip advisor is your best friend. You can find some excellent local restaurants and places to stay. Wow look at where you will be going, there must be something good to eat, drink and see.
My best recent trip was driving the beetle over to Germany with my Uncle. 3 days of hilarity, eating, sights and adventure.
Remember your music.
Plus it is both ways so double the fun.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 13 Feb 2018, 13:30

I’d forgotten about the Priority a Droite, they have something similar in the States though it’s not signed.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 13 Feb 2018, 14:23

Pick your route through Spain carefully. The centre of Spain is a very odd, very empty place.

I've done that drive a number of times. The first time was at the start of a drive to Cape Town, and the Land Rover my brother was driving dictated a maximum speed of 40/ 45 mph. You certainly get to know the landscape well at those speeds.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 13 Feb 2018, 15:04

Beware of the way the French mark the directions at road junctions.

They never seem to use an upward pointing arrow to indicate straight on.

Imagine a simple cross roads and you are waiting at the lights.

A sign on the right hand (yourside) of the road pointing right TownA means turn right to go to TownA Fine!
A sign on the left hand side of the road pointing left TownB means turn left to TownB also fine!

BUT

a sign on the right pointing Left TownC AND/OR a sign on the left pointing Right TownC means GO STRAIGHT ON to TownC

This can be very confusing until you realise that most French are perversely different and a little mad with it. Who else would come up with a priority scheme where traffic entering from a minor side road has priority over the traffic travelling along the main road and then gradually convert most , BUT NOT ALL junctions, to the commonly understood priority to the main road traffic.

Filters for traffic on and off major roads and motorways are much much sharper than we are used to in UK and generally a bit less well signed. Sat nav is very helpful.

The courtesy of French drivers is much improved these days but they are not used to being flashed indicating that you are giving way to them. Flashing headlights is normally reserved for antagonistic purposes. Neither do they understand that indicating right when there is no right turning is an invitation for the car behind to overtake as you are driving slower or are fed up with the Frenchman behind tailgating you.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby selectortone » 13 Feb 2018, 17:49

Mike G wrote:Pick your route through Spain carefully. The centre of Spain is a very odd, very empty place.

Very true! I drove down from Santander to Madrid once and the road just seemed to go on and on. There's probably an autopista now, but this was back in the mid 80s and it was a single carriageway road with huge gaps between any signs of life. Like something out of a spaghetti western.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby RogerS » 13 Feb 2018, 23:10

MJ80 wrote:.......
Take it easy and don't rush, the fun is the trip.....

You beat me to it. I cannot think of anything worse than having a daily 500 mile deadline. If you really must blast down rather than enjoy life and meander then please, please, please get out of the car ..no matter how comfortable you think it is...and walk round it a few times. Otherwise enjoy lying in bed in agony for a week.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Feb 2018, 00:30

TrimTheKing wrote:There are some French dwellers who will no doubt assist but one I seem to remember is that by law you need to carry 2 (TWO) personal alcohol breath testers in the car with you. One to use if they pull you over and a spare in case you get pulled a second time. Might be worth stocking up on a handful to take with you...

Cheers
Mark

Trim is correct, but you'll also need a high viz jacket and two (so I believe) for Spain, as well as an Emergency Triangle (of the folding variety) and a spare set of bulbs, all of which are mandatory - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Feb 2018, 00:34

RogerS wrote:
MJ80 wrote:.......
Take it easy and don't rush, the fun is the trip.....

You beat me to it. I cannot think of anything worse than having a daily 500 mile deadline.

Many years ago, we decided to drive the whole length of France in a single day, so I drove from the Cherbourg to the Med in a small Ford Fiesta with two small children in the back. In hindsight, a bloody stupid thing to do and definitely NOT recommended. Take your time, enjoy 'la belle France' - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pinch » 14 Feb 2018, 09:49

Chaps, thank you very much for your valued comments, experiences and stories. The stuff I wasn't aware of I've now made a note in my planner doc.

The original plan for this year's holiday was to focus purely on France to mark the end of the first world war 100 years on, but as Mrs P and her daughter don't spend that much time together (they live 350 miles apart), the seed was slowly being sown to book a villa in Periana. In truth, I would still rather focus on France (WW1 stuff), BUT, this is important to my wife and I'm more than happy to drive the journey. My longest drive to date was about 8 years ago... it was a mission and I covered roughly 1500 miles in approximately 30 hours. I remember how I felt afterwards - it wasn't great.

So this is where we're at.... I'm ready to book the overnight hotels in Le Mans and Burgos, but, and as some of you guys have suggested, Mrs P is still strongly advising we do the drive over 4 days instead of 3 - one way. The difference would be driving about 375 miles a day instead of 500. I'm now waiting to hear back from my brother-in-law which should be this evening.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 14 Feb 2018, 10:39

We do a lot of touring holidays. rent a car and go see the scenery sort of thing. With just me driving I've found 250 miles in a day is a leisurely drive with plenty of stopping time and not having to rush. When the distance between accommodation gets to 300 miles or over it feels more like a long drive than a relaxing tourist trip.

Your 500 mile plan with 2 drivers is do-able but is bound to be tiring just from the time spent in the car. That said if it is motorways all the way leisurely doesn't come into it so maybe go for the 500.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Pinch » 14 Feb 2018, 10:45

Andyp wrote:Shame you don't like the Ferries Paul....

Enjoy your drive and if you change your mind about the ferry we are only 15 mins away.

Thanks Andy, it would be very nice to see you guys and how the settle is settling in. It's just ferries, ships, the sea.... Probably wouldn't be so bad if the sea is very calm, but if it was rough or semi-rough even, I'd be no good for anything for a few days. :|
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 14 Feb 2018, 12:57

Pinch wrote:..... but if it was rough or semi-rough even, I'd be no good for anything for a few days. :|

Just for you, Pinch :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0v94apym47d7d ... 2.mp3?dl=0
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Feb 2018, 13:21

U R another wkd boy, Roger!! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodster » 14 Feb 2018, 19:21

selectortone wrote:
Mike G wrote:Pick your route through Spain carefully. The centre of Spain is a very odd, very empty place.

Very true! I drove down from Santander to Madrid once and the road just seemed to go on and on. There's probably an autopista now, but this was back in the mid 80s and it was a single carriageway road with huge gaps between any signs of life. Like something out of a spaghetti western.

Yes, we drove through Spain when I was a kid and on some roads you can’t see the end even though they’re dead straight. If you break down on one of those forget a mobile phone, you’ll need a flare gun! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jonathan » 14 Feb 2018, 22:14

Paul
If you get bored in Periana your welcom for a cuppa in Monda, east of Malaga.
Only recommendation I can give is enjoy the drive and if there's no hurry keep of the main roads, if you get stuck behind goats be patient.... oh and you can drive over lemons.

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby Jonathan » 15 Feb 2018, 14:34

Paul
I'm a dyslexic carpenter, I'm west of Malaga.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pinch » 15 Feb 2018, 21:34

Thanks again chaps. I've been reading through all replies again and some really useful info. 8-)

Terry: Excellent link - much obliged to you and now bookmarked. Reading through, I'm changing the route slightly to avoid some tolls, and this also makes much easier work to find hotels. We're going to do the journey in 4 days now (3 nights) instead of 3 days. I shall report back soon with the newly scheduled route. 8-)

Jim: It doesn't matter chap, you always add a positive note of happy and that's sound. 8-)

Robert: Haha yes, I've been in some of them and they're much better than ours. Good tip about the average speed. I'm going to strictly stick to the speed limits. I see from Terry's link, the national speed limit is changing on ordinary roads from 90-80 kph - effective 1st July. 8-)

Markus: Yes I remember this when we last travelled into France. The car boot is going to consist of crates of beer and breathalysers! Maybe some sandwiches too. 8-)

Rod: I remember some stories years ago about hijackers in Spain - I hope we don't encounter any. I won't even stop for a leggy blonde with big boobies. 8-)

Andy: Great info! I remember seeing this sign when driving in France, but until now, I didn't know its meaning. So glad you've posted this. 8-)

MJ80: Indeed, fortunately, my brother-in-law and me get on really well and are on the same wavelength. I'm really looking forward to this, and we're going to do the journey in 4 days now instead of 3. 8-)

Mike: Yep, I must admit, if I have any very slight concerns, it's Spain. I've heard people in the past make similar comments about the eerie emptiness of the Spanish open countryside. Land Rover... 40-45mph all the way to Cape Town... I salute you Sir! 8-)

Bob: I think I've been caught out by this strange sign network of Town A, B, C before and it would have been quite stressful. Thanks for posting this. I'm hoping as soon as I venture back onto the French roads, I'll quickly become familiar with their ways again. 8-)

Roger: Yep, indeed, we're now looking at 4 days instead of 3, reducing the driving to roughly 375 miles a day. Thank you for the Goons take on seasickness you ole devil. It brought back some very fond mammaries. 8-)

Rob: It sure sounds like that was a fun journey. We're going to enjoy it and take our time with a relaxed breezy attitude. 8-)

Robert: Totally agree - 250 a day is comfortable for driver or passenger. When I lived up north years ago and I was a trade plate driver for several months, I would average anything between 500+ miles a day with the occasional 1000 miles in a day - it was madness and very dangerous. We're changing our route now to a 4 day trip - about 375 miles a day. 8-)

Woodster: That's just what I want to read - thank you very much Sir! We better take an extra round of sarnies with us. 8-)

Jonathon: Thank you, that's very kind of you. I'm unsure what the girls have planned, but I shall certainly do a quick check to see how far you are from the villa - sounds great. I too am a dyslexic carpenter, with a hint of autism and a growing development of OCD. :|

Update: I'm now planning a different route for a four day trip.

A quick question while I think of it... a few of you chaps have mentioned a bulb replacement kit. Does this include front & rear, and indicators? Thanks.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Feb 2018, 21:56

Pinch wrote:
A quick question while I think of it... a few of you chaps have mentioned a bulb replacement kit. Does this include front & rear, and indicators? Thanks.

You can buy a small box from Halfords etc which contains all the replacement bulbs for any particular waggon - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat