It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:22

USB 2.0 to Ethernet (RJ45) widget

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

USB 2.0 to Ethernet (RJ45) widget

Postby 9fingers » 23 Feb 2018, 14:27

Anyone used one of these?
They are all over ebay from china etc for a few quid.

I have a job coming up to try and sort out a 4G dongle problem on one of those minimal laptops with no Ethernet socket. I'm not sure if it has a wifi interface built in but other than that it has one USB socket and I need to connect it to the interweb to try and sort it out.

I've never had a machine so stripped down as to not even have a ethernet port FFS!

Do these usb to ethernet converters need any special drivers as that will be the next problem as it does not have an internal CD drive and the only one I have uses a bespoke Dell connector.

I'm willing to buy an adaptor to try but not shell out for a usb CD drive as well.

This job has a whiff of eggs and chickens about it already lol

TIA

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: USB 2.0 to Ethernet (RJ45) widget

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Feb 2018, 14:29

Most slimline machines nowadays come without an ethernet port, my work one included, and mine came supplied with one of these dongles. I have never known one to require drivers...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 23 Feb 2018, 14:57

No but I now use a USB to Wi-fi dongle on my Macbook

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Feb 2018, 15:01

TrimTheKing wrote:Most slimline machines nowadays come without an ethernet port, my work one included, and mine came supplied with one of these dongles. I have never known one to require drivers...

Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark,
I'll get one on order. For the sake of a few quid it might save me some time.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 23 Feb 2018, 15:18

Pretty much certain to have wifi built in if it is an ultrabook (skinny laptop running off a solid state drive).

I have a gigabit ethernet dongle I use with my wife's PC. No drivers were required but wifi was connected if it wanted to go to MS for drivers so will most likely work from offline but not guaranteed. It was a generic never heard of brand from Amazon. just look at a few reviews to see people saying no drivers needed.

Networking problems are often anti virus related so check which networks are allowed etc.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 23 Feb 2018, 15:37

Robert wrote:Pretty much certain to have wifi built in if it is an ultrabook (skinny laptop running off a solid state drive).

I have a gigabit ethernet dongle I use with my wife's PC. No drivers were required but wifi was connected if it wanted to go to MS for drivers so will most likely work from offline but not guaranteed. It was a generic never heard of brand from Amazon. just look at a few reviews to see people saying no drivers needed.

Networking problems are often anti virus related so check which networks are allowed etc.

Thanks Robert.
The reported problem is that the 4G data is being used (or "stolen" in the words of my friend) at a furious rate.
A data purchase that used to last around a month is going in a few days.

Rather than some sort of clone operated by someone else actually using the data, I suspect there is a virus/malware on there that is consuming the data allowance. Fortunately she only uses it for surfing and email and keeps no important personal or financial stuff on it. It would have had mcafee (sp?) bundled originally but she did not take out the subscription one the trial version expired.

I will need to put some sort of AV on it for her. Is there one that is more appropriate/ economical for PAYG data. This is her only way of connecting to the interweb.

TIA

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Feb 2018, 15:49

Malware Bytes is my goto, or was when I did such things.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 23 Feb 2018, 16:00

TrimTheKing wrote:Malware Bytes is my goto, or was when I did such things.

I use Malwarebytes too but I think for the free version, you have to instigate a scan manually which apart from a check for updates, will be very low on data consumption. However I'm not convinced that she will be disciplined enough to do regular scans. She is on a very low budget - pensioner, so a decent automatic scheduled AV with minimal data usage would be ideal.
It is difficult (for me at least) to imagine not having always-on broadband to put myself in her shoes.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 23 Feb 2018, 16:10

Next guess then is the connection is not marked as metered and is being used for updates. More likely than malware.

Kaspersky is still my goto AV despite being Russian :). free to Barclays users, or old versions can be bought cheap and licence code will allow you to use latest version instead of what you bought. McAfee is the pits of AV - more like malware than some malware - or it used to be. I'd remove it.

Internet glitch here gave you time to reply..

Windows updates will eat through a few Gb. How much are we talking about?
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 23 Feb 2018, 16:21

I'm not sure how much data is being "lost" to be honest. It is very difficult to get solid tech info out of her. She is a good friend but "" is not an adequate adjective for her when trying to pin her down for info.

Yesterday she said it was an HP machine running win7. Today she sent a photo of it with a dell service tag!! turns out it is a dell inspiron 11 3162 and almost certain to have win 10 on it !!
She was supposed to bring it round this morning but suddenly remembered that she had to do something else today.
She is hard work to help sometimes lol

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 23 Feb 2018, 16:33

9fingers wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:Malware Bytes is my goto, or was when I did such things.

I use Malwarebytes too but I think for the free version, you have to instigate a scan manually which apart from a check for updates, will be very low on data consumption. However I'm not convinced that she will be disciplined enough to do regular scans. She is on a very low budget - pensioner, so a decent automatic scheduled AV with minimal data usage would be ideal.
It is difficult (for me at least) to imagine not having always-on broadband to put myself in her shoes.

Bob

Correction: I have just found that Free malwarebytes can have a schedule set for its scans. :oops: :oops:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 23 Feb 2018, 16:35

if it is Windows 10 - god help you. My experience is limited and like you we are on unlimited broadband at home but it does seem that every time we open my daughters laptop Win 10 is updating something. Hers is a HP machine, I've no experience of Dell, and there are a lot of self updating programs on there that I have had to gradually remove. Bloated is an understatement.
You need to get your hands on your friends laptap and see what programs are set to auto update.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 23 Feb 2018, 16:41

Andyp wrote:if it is Windows 10 - god help you. My experience is limited and like you we are on unlimited broadband at home but it does seem that every time we open my daughters laptop Win 10 is updating something. Hers is a HP machine, I've no experience of Dell, and there are a lot of self updating programs on there that I have had to gradually remove. Bloated is an understatement.
You need to get your hands on your friends laptap and see what programs are set to auto update.

Turning off auto update will be one of the first things I'll try. She is convinced it is a virus but possibly only because she has heard the word somewhere before related to computer problems :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 23 Feb 2018, 18:33

9fingers wrote:....but she did not take out the subscription one the trial version expired.
Bob

Please do not fix it. Confiscate it instead and give it to a school (after you've put some AV on naturally!). I really take a dim view of lazy, stupid people who are too bone idle not to do the right thing re AV. If we had more draconian punishments along the lines I'm suggesting then the internet would be a better place.

She has no excuse.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Feb 2018, 18:38

RogerS wrote:
9fingers wrote:....but she did not take out the subscription one the trial version expired.
Bob

Please do not fix it. Confiscate it instead and give it to a school (after you've put some AV on naturally!). I really take a dim view of lazy, stupid people who are too bone idle not to do the right thing re AV. If we had more draconian punishments along the lines I'm suggesting then the internet would be a better place.

She has no excuse.

This is a dear friend of mine so I will be trying to help :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 23 Feb 2018, 19:03

RogerS wrote:
Bob

She has no excuse.

:oops: Is buying a iMac doing the right thing re AV? I have nothing else except common sense.
\
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodster » 23 Feb 2018, 19:23

I’ve been using an iPad for email and surfing the net for over 5 years now and never had any bother. I wouldn’t go back to using a desktop now except for image editing or DTP work. Our iMac is getting on for 7 years old now and we’ve never had any antivirus software on it and my wife used it quite a lot until she bought her own iPad a few years back. We will get a new iMac at some point but it won’t get the use it used to get years ago, tablets like the iPad are so much more user friendly and a doddle to set up, in fact they pretty much set themselves up.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Feb 2018, 20:05

Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote:
Bob

She has no excuse.

:oops: Is buying a iMac doing the right thing re AV? I have nothing else except common sense.
\

Yup! I'm not running any AV either
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat