It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:55

Non-combustible wall

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Non-combustible wall

Postby Halo Jones » 26 Feb 2018, 12:04

Also posted this on UKW but I need all the help I can get for this one!

Renovations continue....

We planned all the renovations and submitted plans to BC about 2 1/2 years ago. I engineered in non-combustible walls for a corner woodstove and built said walls last year. LOML now wants the site for the stove to be moved about a metre to the right - just to where the non combustible wall becomes standard studwork and plasterboard, and contains a bunch of central heating a plumbing pipes :eusa-doh:

Her chosen stove would need to stand out 350 mm from a combustible wall which would intrude far too much into the room. Despite my cries of incredulity and tears at my wasted work there is no going back. So, what is the easiest/lightest way to build out a non-combustible 75 mm thick wall on top of a suspended wooden floor?

H.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Non-combustible wall

Postby 9fingers » 26 Feb 2018, 14:19

No idea of what the regulations say but I'm sure I've seen woodburners fitted in an alcove lined with Asbestos Equivalent heat resistant cement boards. Does it really have to be 75mm thick non combustible.?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Halo Jones » 26 Feb 2018, 14:28

These are the relevant sections from our Buidling regulations domestic technical handbook:

The BCO has been a stickler for the rules in other areas such as disability access to the downstairs loo which we moved as part of this project, but when I have asked if he needs to see structural work he has said there was no need! The area that I had prepared for the stove was verbally approved by him too which is why I am really annoyed we are moving it!
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 26 Feb 2018, 19:02

Are your building regs different in Scotland? That might influence any suggestions we may have from here in other parts.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 26 Feb 2018, 21:07

They're different in principle and in content.

England and Wales have actually very short and very wishy-washy building regs, with very in-depth "Guidance". It is this guidance which everyone thinks of as the Regs, but it isn't. If you can show another way of meeting the regs which isn't given in the Guidance, then you should in theory achieve approval from Building Control. In Scotland, the regs themselves are very prescriptive, on the face of it written much like our Guidance. This removes the option of the alternative approach allowed in England and Wales.

As an example of an England/ Wales Building Regulation, this is what the relevant regulation actually says:

"Combustion appliances and fluepipes shall be so installed, and fireplaces and chimneys so constructed and installed, as to reduce to a reasonable level the risk of people suffering burns or the building catching fire in consequence of their use".

That's the building regulation. Nothing about combustible materials, distances, design parameters, dimensions, British Standards etc. Go to the Guidance and there are pages and pages with precise instructions on how you can be certain of achieving compliance with the Regs, but that's not exclusive. If you can demonstrate that an alternative approach satisfies the Regs, then you don't need to comply with the Guidance. In Scotland (in my limited experience and subject to my fallible memory), there is no separation of regs and guidance, so you have to do precisely what it says in the book, and nothing else will do.

In this case, it says 75mm of non-combustible material to a height of 1200 above the top of the hearth......so that is precisely what you've got to do if your woodburner is within 150mm of a wall.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat