It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:31

Snow-watch

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Snow-watch

Postby Malc2098 » 01 Mar 2018, 16:12

Blizzard arrived bang on time!

IMG_1560.JPG
(455.51 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodster » 01 Mar 2018, 16:35

Finally got some snow here in Dorset, about 20mm at the moment but it’s still coming down. Few roads in my area seem to have been gritted, not even the dual carriageway.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 01 Mar 2018, 16:36

We had about 10mm overnight but had to pick up one Granddaughter whose school closed at 12.
No problems with my 4wd and winter tyres. Now snowing heavily.

Woke up to find wall mounted gas boiler dripping clean water - boiler still functioning ok otherwise.
Sussed it might be the condensing outlet frozen as temps reached -5C.

Thawed it out with several applications of warm water and seems to have done the trick. As a stop gap I’ve I’ve stuffed some pipe lagging over it.
The boiler is 8yrs old and nothing like this has happened before. Will box it in properly later. Left message with plumber as the boiler should be checked out but I expect he’s been inundated with calls.

Our County Council works with the Highways Agency and share gritting routes, machines etc. Most vehicles are multifunctional. In rural areas farmers are paid a standby fee to clear the roads in their patches. They receive very detailed weather forecasts informing them of likely road surface temperatures so that gritting can be carried out before frosts occur.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 Mar 2018, 16:46

TrimTheKing wrote:Snow starting to melt (though I don't know how as it's -3 here) and winds getting up. Literally just looked out the window to see a Magpie getting thrown around the sky like a plastic bag blowing in the wind!!!!

Are you sure it's snow melting and not a burst water pipe, Mark ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Mar 2018, 16:47

RogerS wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:Snow starting to melt (though I don't know how as it's -3 here) and winds getting up. Literally just looked out the window to see a Magpie getting thrown around the sky like a plastic bag blowing in the wind!!!!

Are you sure it's snow melting and not a burst water pipe, Mark ?

Unless it's burst underneath my entire garden and the surrounding fields then no...

Snow is just disappearing. Not melting, just disappearing.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 01 Mar 2018, 16:58

TrimTheKing wrote:
Snow is just disappearing. Not melting, just disappearing.

Sublimation - I learnt that at school in 1962 ish!

A solid transferring to a gas without going through the liquid stage. I think.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Mar 2018, 17:24

I wouldn’t have thought that would happen with the temp so low though. But what do I know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Doug » 01 Mar 2018, 19:34

We’ve had quite a lot of snow yesterday & today, as I was booked in to be laying floors in a property out in he sticks I phoned to postpone the job, the lady said she understood but could she just speak to her dad :eusa-think:
Wednesday morning he turned up at my door in the most batter 40 year old Range Rover I’ve ever seen, he helped me load up my gear then said “ I apologise for the heater” I thought I don’t care how smelly it is as long as it’s hot........unfortunately it had packed up on 1991 & it was on his list of jobs to sort on it :shock: as were the doors & tailgate seals, I think the wind chill was greater in the car than outside :eusa-doh:

Needless to say I’m very happy to be finished & wont be setting foot outside my workshop until this snow has buggered off :D
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 01 Mar 2018, 19:36

Everything is freezing here, only about 25mm of snow but now compacted and turning to ice.
Took SIL 90 mins to drive 12 miles up the M3 from Soton

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby selectortone » 01 Mar 2018, 19:50

Rod wrote:Woke up to find wall mounted gas boiler dripping clean water - boiler still functioning ok otherwise.

Thawed it out with several applications of warm water and seems to have done the trick. As a stop gap I’ve I’ve stuffed some pipe lagging over it.

Heard from a friend of mine who had the same problem. He called a boiler engineer who told him this was his 20th call of the day for the same problem.

I'm a few miles away from my friend Woodster and have had much the same as him - about 2 inches of snow so far and more forecast overnight. The roads all around are gridlocked according to google traffic. I'm going nowhere - the cat is velcro'd to my lap and the central heating is struggling to keep my draughty old 30s house at 18c. Not much woodturning going on! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby selectortone » 01 Mar 2018, 20:01

Fired this off to the BBC this afternoon:

I wish to complain in the strongest terms about your reporter Ben Browns assertion, on the one o'clock news today that "The National Grid have issued a report of possible shortages of supply of gas." The truth is that some large industrial users of gas have been asked to cut back on gas use, but there is no possibility of gas shortages for home consumers which was Mr Brown's implication. This was not made clear until later in the bulletin. There will be many people, including the old and vulnerable, worried about keeping warm who tuned into the news today for the latest updates, and for your reporter to imply that their gas supply is threatened is the most scandalous scaremongering at this time. Such 'reporting' is worthy perhaps of The Daily Mail, but not the BBC News. Shame on Ben Brown and shame on the BBC.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby MJ80 » 01 Mar 2018, 20:31

Our washing machine has frozen!
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pinch » 01 Mar 2018, 21:02

Heeheehaha... After all my neighbours at work had gone home and around 3:30pm, I thought I better make the journey home before it gets too bad. I took a quick photo just before leaving. Here's the courtyard at 3:20pm today.

The journey home from the workshop normally takes me 15-20 mins - that's about 9 miles on country lanes. Today however took 2.5 hours. :shock:

I thought I'd be sensible and head straight for the main road which is about 1.5 miles from the workshop. As I approached the junction, the traffic was gridlocked. There were lorries stuck on the hills each way and nobody was going anywhere. After a stroll up and down for a short time, I decided to go cross country and headed back the way I came, knowing there could be trouble ahead with many hills to climb. As soon as I set off, I heard a 'break' and the driver's wiper stopped working! The passenger wiper was okay, but the driver's was stuck in the vertical position - great! After a few miles, I was now approaching the biggest hill of the journey and nope, there was no way I was going up it. I turned round and tried another route, eventually back onto the main road. More gridlocked traffic with cars, lorries etc stuck all over the place. After making 5 detours and running out of route options, I eventually arrived home just before 6pm.

This was my view for over two hours due to the broken wiper linkage.

The snow continues tonight and Mrs P and I have already decided it will be foolish to attempt going into work tomorrow, so we're taking the day off.

Anyway, I have a wiper linkage to repair.

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Andyp » 01 Mar 2018, 21:28

Anyone would think that there was no forewarning. ;)
Glad you got home OK. My missus decided to stay home after seeing less than 1mm of snow on less than half of our terrace.

Don't go blaming my Emma. She is getting a bit fed up with her new found notoriety :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Mar 2018, 00:51

Friend of mine is high up in the CTU in Manchester and just sent me this, said it caused great mirth in the GMP Command meeting this morning so they decided it had to be tweeted!

weather.jpeg
(120.12 KiB)

:eusa-whistle: :lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 02 Mar 2018, 08:13

Just watching the news this morning. Obvious to me that far too many people ignored the warnings and got stuck in the snow.
Hope all you devonites and everyone else of course are wrapped up warm at home.

A quick joke.

What is an ig?
A house without a loo.

Sorry

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Jimmy Mack » 02 Mar 2018, 09:55

Just listening to a guy stuck on the top of the M62, having been there all night.... Complaining that police and highways can't tell him when it will reopen!

Why on earth would you even attempt to cross the Pennines following the weather reports!?

Putting others and emergency services in danger.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 02 Mar 2018, 10:06

It is a shame that the reporters never ask the obvious question. What on earth are you doing here?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 02 Mar 2018, 10:14

Andyp wrote:It is a shame that the reporters never ask the obvious question. What on earth are you doing here?

A doctor trying to get to his hospital ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 02 Mar 2018, 10:24

It snowed a bit more last evening with everything frozen. We had to look after the Grandkids until their parents got back home but the car drove ok on the snow/ice. Minus 1.6C at the moment with more snow expected.
It’s a refuse collection day but somehow I don’t think they’ll make it.
Many moons ago I drove 30 miles to my office in Reading through appalling weather to find none of the locals had turned up - never again.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MattS » 02 Mar 2018, 10:34

Rod wrote:Woke up to find wall mounted gas boiler dripping clean water - boiler still functioning ok otherwise.

Rod

Ours froze last night as well, only had a condensing boiler for a couple of years but had seen something about it being a common problem on Facebook so sorted quickly. We knew the drainage system was poor, not enough fall in places outside but as well as the bolier outlet freezing, the waste water for the sink in the same downstairs loo has also frozen up!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 02 Mar 2018, 10:38

Above zero temps forecast from 1800 tonight and all next week here so that should get rid of our snow. Bin day here too maybe they will collect Saturday instead ie as if it was a bank holiday week?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby 9fingers » 02 Mar 2018, 10:45

MattS wrote:

Rod

Ours froze last night as well, only had a condensing boiler for a couple of years but had seen something about it being a common problem on Facebook so sorted quickly. We knew the drainage system was poor, not enough fall in places outside but as well as the bolier outlet freezing, the waste water for the sink in the same downstairs loo has also frozen up!

When fitting our condensing boiler I took the 22mm pipe through the wall in a 40 mm sleeve to create an Insulating air gap and into a 68 mm gutter down pipe. The exposed length is less than 50 mm. The same scheme for the prv outlet. There is also a condensate Syphon which has to fill then drain out in a rush when full. No way that will freeze.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby MattS » 02 Mar 2018, 10:54

9fingers wrote:
MattS wrote:

Rod

When fitting our condensing boiler I took the 22mm pipe through the wall in a 40 mm sleeve to create an Insulating air gap and into a 68 mm gutter down pipe. The exposed length is less than 50 mm. The same scheme for the prv outlet. There is also a condensate Syphon which has to fill then drain out in a rush when full. No way that will freeze.
Bob

Well ours goes into the wall as 22mm and then is in standard waste pipe externally so I was a bit surprised it froze but removing the pipe inside (the boiler is over the sink) I was met with a rush of water! Add it to the list of things not done properly in the house!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 02 Mar 2018, 11:06

My pipe lagging seemed to work ok last night as no more drips. Thankfully all the electrics inside the Vaillant boiler are sealed inside a plastic box so no water entry.
More snow forecasted for today but rain tomorrow.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat