It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:56

Concorde design TV programme

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Concorde design TV programme

Postby RogerS » 01 Mar 2018, 19:23

Two part'er Channel 5 10pm.

Might even persuade Bob to dust off his TV !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Concorde design TV programme

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Mar 2018, 20:18

Thanks, set to record. :eusa-clap:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 01 Mar 2018, 20:24

Seen it. Brilliant!!

Currently reading a biog of Capt Eric (Winkle) Brown. He talks in there about stuff he was testing after the war, and one theoretical design which clearly was the foundation of the Concorde design.

Stonkingly good read!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Mar 2018, 23:27

Malc2098 wrote:Seen it. Brilliant!!

Currently reading a biog of Capt Eric (Winkle) Brown. He talks in there about stuff he was testing after the war, and one theoretical design which clearly was the foundation of the Concorde design.

Stonkingly good read!

I read that some time ago and agree, I good read. As all know, he was in the FAA and on retirement in 1970 was ic RNAS Lossiemouth. My dad was also FAA during Eric (Winkle) Brown's time in the service and like him, retired in 1970. I often wonder if their paths ever crossed; possibly but probably not - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Mar 2018, 09:03

Just finished watching the recording for the first half. Boy, did we have (and still do) some smart engineers. I'd never heard of 'super-cruising". Never heard about them taking the very large digital computer from the Rapier missile system and miniaturising it to fit a few on Concorde.

One of my favourite bits was when the RAF asked if they could practice an intercept on Concorde. The air-traffic control recording went as follows ...

"Concorde, the RAF Tornado is 12 miles behind you"
"Concorde, the RAF Tornado is 14 miles behind you"
"Concorde, the RAF Tornado is 18 miles behind you"

Full afterburner, the Tornado couldn't catch it.

And Concorde was so manoeuvrable that when they went to the US to carry out some noise monitoring tests to silence the critics, it was able to tightly manoeuvre around and not even trigger the monitoring equipment.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Mar 2018, 10:34

One of the most telling aspects of the whole Concorde affair was the way that two BA pilots turned the finances around from one of imminent disaster to a healthy and constant profit.
How?...by a simple mega price hike of the fares. Apparently, all the high flyers had their PA's, secretaries or other assorted minions book and pay for their fares as they had no idea what the ticket cost - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Mar 2018, 12:10

Woodbloke wrote:One of the most telling aspects of the whole Concorde affair was the way that two BA pilots turned the finances around from one of imminent disaster to a healthy and constant profit.
How?...by a simple mega price hike of the fares. Apparently, all the high flyers had their PA's, secretaries or other assorted minions book and pay for their fares as they had no idea what the ticket cost - Rob

And when asked how much they thought the fare was came up with figures double what BA were charging ! So, as you say, BA upped the prices to match !

It's a great shame that Air France didn't have their equivalent since AF never made any profit on their Concorde and since many engineers at Airbus Industrie were reserved for Concorde work and the chairman at Airbus would rather them work on the actual Airbus, he 'had a word' if the stories are to be believed with the chairman at Air France and between them they cooked up the demise of Concorde.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat