It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:19

Better control of a water pump

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Better control of a water pump

Postby 9fingers » 09 Mar 2018, 20:33

RogerS wrote:Appreciate the input, Bob.

That pump does not supply the house...merely refills the clean water tanks and so I can do whatever I like pressure-wise.

So this is a suction pump to lift from bore hole into the tanks then? Not sure why it should be controlled on the basis of pressure now if it all it has to do keep the tanks topped up?

Mystified of Romsey :lol:
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 09 Mar 2018, 22:30

Sorry Bob...my bad explanation.

The incoming water comes (pumped) from the borehole by the farm that feeds the four properties. Actually I have no idea where it is...must find out.

It the goes via a filter to remove vegetation etc into the drop tanks. They are in that row on the left. Out of the bottom of those tanks is a pipe that goes to the pump in question. This pump serves two purposes..

1) pumps the water from the drop tank into the iron/manganese filter (the large blue vertical cylinder in the photos) and from there via another filter and then onto the 'bad' ballcock and into the clean tanks.

2) during the night, a few valves open up in that blue iron/manganese filter and the backwash cycle happens which basically takes water from the drop tank and reverse flows it through the iron/manganese filter and churns up all the filtering stuff and flushes out the crud and down the drain. This is powered by that pump.

From the clean tanks, a second pump (which needs replacing - I have a new one plus differential switch on my TUIT list) then pumps water on-demand from the house through more filters, a water softener and UV filter and up into the house.

The pressure on this second pump actually needs increasing by tweaking the differential switch because some of the taps in the house seem a little unhappy (or should I say the overall system seems a little unhappy as there is an imbalance in pressure between cold and hot). This hasn't been an issue with the taps and showers installed to date but the ones I just put into the bathroom seem to 'unsettle' the system and not too happy with the imbalance in pressure. Another TUIT.

I'll replace that ballcock and see how the first pump behaves.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 10 Mar 2018, 16:39

RogerS wrote:
Ah, that would be the second cellar then :D

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

{edit- the images got totally pi$$ed}

NOT AS GOOD AS THE OTHER ONE!!!!!

Those steps/stairs - from a safety point of view block them off. Some pi$$ed ass..hole will try them out. :lol: :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat