It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:46

Hey ho...any QC's out there ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Hey ho...any QC's out there ?

Postby Phil » 25 Jul 2018, 09:12

"Northumberland County Council will"
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 25 Jul 2018, 09:20

Phil wrote:"Northumberland County Council will"

Eh ?

As I see it, from what was a tolerable arrangement of timber lorries being on the road in a couple of known timed slots, they are now likely to encountered at any time over a 12 hour period. :(
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 25 Jul 2018, 10:21

“NCC will undertake Traffic Management Duties”
Why and whose paying them to do it?

Whose going to design, build and pay for the passing bays? they will need to acquire land!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 25 Jul 2018, 10:33

Rod wrote:“NCC will undertake Traffic Management Duties”
Why and whose paying them to do it?

Exactly. The stupid woman chairing the residents' meetings is so naive that I'm not going to bother to attend anymore. She hears what she wants to hear. In an email to everyone from her, she says that 'NCC are contracted to provide the traffic management'. I don't read that anywhere.

And "...will put in a robust system to ensure traffic management ..." Uh ? Traffic lights ! That didn't work last time. The woman is a fool.

Rod wrote:Whose going to design, build and pay for the passing bays? they will need to acquire land!

Rod

We mentioned all of that and the idea has been canned.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Hey ho...any QC's out there ?

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Aug 2018, 10:24

And in latest news from Roger’s village...

https://youtu.be/2LCWfF108os
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 14 Aug 2018, 10:46

TrimTheKing wrote:And in latest news from Roger’s village...

https://youtu.be/2LCWfF108os

:lol: He's got rear-wheel steer. That's cheating !

It's all pretty much resolved now. The arrogance of the plantation management company and the extraction company who won the contract etc has got right up the Council's nose. So much so that they've still not given permission. The Council have now been contracted by the extraction company (for £30,000) to provide a convoy managed system which I recommended, based on the suggestion by Rod back in April, only to be told by the extraction company that 'it was too expensive'. Well, ain't that the truth ! If they'd agreed to it back then then they'd have had several months worth of extraction but now they will be lucky to get one or two months if that.

So, all in all,the community has done pretty well to delay things for over four months. They have to stop harvesting in September and then have just two more weeks in October when they can bring down the timber. Limited to just two convoys a day of three lorries each. They cant start until the Council say they can and before then the Council need to put up signage...which 'will take time'..and also formally temporarily 'take control of the road' for which there is a formal process that takes a couple of weeks ! So lucky if they actually start in August.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Aug 2018, 11:17

People power!! Good work mate. We're having wars with Warrington Borough Council about their ridiculous Local Plan, in wanting to stick 24,000 homes on green belt surrounding me.

Long story short, we've got it delayed, along with changes in Government number requirement (we have some very knowledgeable people in the local community) but given WBC are in the pockets of Peel Holdings who own most of the NW it can only be a matter of time before they get what they want, but we keep fighting...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 14 Aug 2018, 11:57

TrimTheKing wrote:People power!! Good work mate. We're having wars with Warrington Borough Council about their ridiculous Local Plan, in wanting to stick 24,000 homes on green belt surrounding me.

Long story short, we've got it delayed, along with changes in Government number requirement (we have some very knowledgeable people in the local community) but given WBC are in the pockets of Peel Holdings who own most of the NW it can only be a matter of time before they get what they want, but we keep fighting...

Freedom of Information can be your friend. Pick up on a dodgy deal and ask for copies of all communications between the parties.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 14 Aug 2018, 12:15

TrimTheKing wrote:People power!! Good work mate. We're having wars with Warrington Borough Council about their ridiculous Local Plan, in wanting to stick 24,000 homes on green belt surrounding me.

You have just reminded me that many years ago (40+) I made an offer on a very nice detached house near Grappenhall (Warrington) on one of the roads down to the ship canal. Nice oak door and lots of lovely woodwork inside.

I was then told that Warrington New Town were planning a high level bridge over the ship canal and there would be a 90ft high embankment built on the houses on the opposite side of the road and they had compulsory purchased a number of houses further down the road. I did not buy the house and they never built the bridge. I occasionally wonder how many people have had their lives disrupted for the sake of someones wild plans.

On a similar topic I have a friend with a smallholding on the edge of the HS2 planned line near Crewe. He has spent many years getting it how he wants it with stables, barns, garage, workshop. It is now being compulsorily purchased and he is going to have to start all over again just as he has retired. I have considerable doubts if HS2 will ever get north of Birmingham but I better keep quiet about them or I may be accused of heresy or treason.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby RogerS » 14 Aug 2018, 12:29

hs2.png
(51.82 KiB)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 14 Aug 2018, 13:19

:)

Roger, you are going to get me into trouble if I get started :)

The mess successive governments have made of our railways give me no confidence at all that HS2 will be any better. Someone somewhere, possibly on an island in the Caribbean, will probably make a lot of tax free money out of it.

I must say well done on your success with the timber movements. Having been involved on the sidelines locally with our local authority on a planning issue I thought your chances of success were low. Our Local Authority granted temporary planning permission to a group of people in the green belt and then they have attempted to screw it up at every stage until it went to the high court where some central government department that had referred it to the high court did not bother to send any representation so it got referred back to the LA. The LA have not prepared a five year plan, which is why they they said they had to grant temporary permission 10 years ago, so they had to grant permanent permission. Now they are asking for views on a five year plan! AAAaagggghhhhh

In the meantime I could not get permission for a bungalow because it would "spoil the street scene", despite it not being visible from the road as if you stood on the pavement by my neighbours drive you would be able to see part of the roof, instead they have given me permission for a house that will be visible!
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Rod » 14 Aug 2018, 13:23

As someone who worked on HS1, I’m keeping quiet

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Aug 2018, 13:42

Ah, planners.

The firearms officer at our last place told me about a chap who'd called him in to check his gun cabinet. But when Mike got there, he realised that although the front gate was in his county (and therefore 'patch')the actual cabinet was in the adjoining county and so out of his remit. The gun owner asked him if, as he was there, he'd give it the once over down in the basement.

So Mike went down and the first thing he noticed was that the footprint of the basement was much larger than the house footprint above ground. The second thing he noticed was that in the middle of the basement was a large cement block 15 foot square that went from floor to ceiling. When quizzed, the house owner told mike that he'd bought the house as a distressed sale. That he'd wanted to make some minor changes to the original Planning application but when the Planning Officer rolled up and saw the basement insisted that because it was much larger than on the plans - by 225 sq ft) and even though it was below ground, he wanted those 225 sq ft 'lost'.

Mike the commented that surely it was hollow and that once the planning guy had gone, that all the houseowner needed to do was knock the cement blocks out. Not so. The planning bloke insisted it was filled with concrete !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat