It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:09

BT email

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

BT email

Postby Deejay » 22 Mar 2018, 18:06

Afternoon all

I've been having inermittent problems lately (for about a month) with BT email.

I use Mailwasher Pro to download the headers off the server and delete any spam without downloading the full message. I've got five email addresses, so I can do the lot in one go.

I use Pegasus mail as my email client. Establishing the connections for uploading and downloading mail now seems to take 'forever', and it sometimes times out or tells me my username and password hasn't been accepted.

Nothing (AFAIK) has changed on my machine, which runs Win 7 Pro.

BT's attitude seems to be 'if our webmail client works, you're on your own pal.'

I've also got a Google address, which works as normal with both applications.

It seems to me that something has gone pear shaped with the BT mail servers

I'm reluctant to give up the addresses, which I've had since the days of dialup, so changing ISP isn't my first consideration. If I paid to retain them, the same thing would probably happen.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Re: BT email

Postby DaveL » 22 Mar 2018, 18:39

Part of the problem may well be that bt don't own all the mail servers that their email is hosted on. I would give it a week or so to see if it sorts itself out, which it probably will. I also use a bt email address and have had similar experiences in the past.
I still have an issue with they spam trap it often takes free cycle emails which I want, have spent time on line trying to sort it out, time chatting on line and have had them ring me back and they gave up trying to fix it!
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Postby selectortone » 22 Mar 2018, 20:09

I'm cutting and pasting this from a previous thread:

I had to dump my old btinternet email - about two years ago I started getting deluges of spam which was the result of the numpties at Yahoo, who host BTs email service, allowing a massive theft of user data. After a couple of months of patchy service where I was being forced to reset my password over and over again (presumably because someone was trying to hack my account), and the aforemention deluges of spam, I gave up and got myself a gmail account.

Having to change all my details for online banking, ebay, paypal, amazon, etc, etc, was a right pain but it was WELL worth doing. Gmail's spam filters are brilliant (touch wood!) - no spam whatsoever gets through to my inbox and when I check the spam folder (an almost hourly ritual with btinternet by the end) I get this:

A year or so on, I'm still spam free with my gmail account and it just works. No hassles whatsoever. In contrast, I kept my BT email account on for the few old friends who aren't very computer savvy and found changing to my new address too much of a challenge. I check it once a day or so and it is still painfully slow and laborious, choked with spam, and frequently offline altogether. I pay BT £5 a month for that "privilege".

I had BT Internet for a long time too, and suffered for years with outages, slow speeds and poor service, despite being only a few 100 yards from the closest street cabinet. Switched to Virgin.... it works and is blindingly fast, and they keep upgrading my speed for free - 100mbps currently, even at peak times. For someone who used to connect to his office 20 years ago with a 128kbps dailup modem this is like science fiction. I would rather be boiled in oil than have BT as my main service provider again.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Mar 2018, 08:50

selectortone wrote: Switched to Virgin.... it works and is blindingly fast, and they keep upgrading my speed for free - 100mbps currently, even at peak times. For someone who used to connect to his office 20 years ago with a 128kbps dailup modem this is like science fiction. I would rather be boiled in oil than have BT as my main service provider again.

Same here; their cable connection is really fast...I've got 76Mbps currently, but I was deluged with spam and other assorted crap on the V email account so I was advised by Apple to change it to an iCloud address. Thus far, perfectomundo - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Deejay » 23 Mar 2018, 09:51

Morning all

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting point Dave , about ownership of the servers. If they are not all correctly configured, that could explain why the problem is intermittent.

I thought that BT had finished with Yahoo after a hacking incident a few years ago.

Speed isn't an issue here. Neither is Spam, partly due to Mailwasher. It's just the intermittent unreliability that's annoying.

Incidentally Selectortone, if you only have one old BT address to check, Mailwasher do a free for personal use version.

I'll see how it goes, without holding my breath.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Postby Rod » 23 Mar 2018, 11:07

I’m on BT as it was the only choice a couple of years back for high speed broadband (80).
No problems with spam on my BT account and my Gmail one though I’ve started receiving “Google Hangout” messages from ladies even though I’m not signed up to it.
Hit the “Unsubscribe” button each time without success!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat