It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:31

An Eclectic Portfolio Of Woodwork

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

An Eclectic Portfolio Of Woodwork

Postby Pinch » 30 Mar 2018, 15:28

Hello Chaps,

Constructive criticism is welcome... no insults please. Well, I don't mind little ones... but no biggens! :x

I've put together a trial run slide film of previous work using Windows Movie Maker. This is something which will feature on the home page of my website when it's ready. It includes 28 projects spanning over several years, covering carpentry, joinery and cabinetry. Most of the projects are of more recent times - I sadly don't have many photos of old work.

I know we all have different ideas, views etc... some will say this film is too long, maybe boring (cough cough), don't like the music etc - we can't please everyone. I'm already thinking about changing some of the elements, but I have watched it several times and I'm bored with it now. I might also change the second piece of music.

If you stay on the small or mid range viewing, the film quality is quite good, but full screen on my monitor (19 incher) isn't that good. I guess most people these days will view on a tablet and the quality looks fine on our iPad.

Anyway, less rambling... when you have a free uninterrupted 16 minutes, make yourself comfortable with a cup of tea and chocolate digestive, and give it a watch.

Remember... you're viewing as someone who is seriously thinking about having something bespoke designed & made and you've stumbled across my website... you then start watching this slide film.

Is it a :eusa-drool: ?

Or :eusa-think: ?

Or maybe :P ?

Gone With The Wind

:eusa-violin:
Last edited by Pinch on 30 Mar 2018, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: An Eclectic Portfolio Of Woodwork

Postby Andyp » 30 Mar 2018, 15:49

It certainly starts off very well ;)

I viewed at double speed on the youtube with the sound off, nothing wrong with the sound just sounds daft at 2x normal.
I wonder if watching a video of still images adds anything to the still images that can be viewed on your website anyway.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Mar 2018, 16:21

Paul,

I did the same as Andy (x2 speed).

If I were a prospective client, I think I'd find the image squeezing up the screen and then down again when it's title displayed a little annoying.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 30 Mar 2018, 17:40

I'd far rather click through top level single stills of each project with the ability to drill down on anything I liked to see more detail. 360 degree pan under viewer control might be good but possibly have to shoot that at the the time.
100% with Malc on the size changes and for heavens sake LOSE THE MUSIC! You can guarantee it will alienate 50% of potential clients anyway. I stopped at project 3 or 4 - could not take any more. To me it is like someone imposing their taste/religion/politics on others.
Silence is far better to concentrate on the quality of the subject matter.

Sorry if it is not what you want to hear but you did ask lol :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Robert » 30 Mar 2018, 17:59

Couple of thoughts...

It's too long. 10 minutes is pushing it for the average youtubers attention span. Especially as it is a slideshow without any actual video.

Image quality to me looks poor - sorry. 1080p is what I'd consider minimum for uploading but 4K would be best. Youtube generates all the lower quality variants for those with slow connections. I would skip a video that was only 480p at best. So many high res devices and screens now you want crisp and sharp and 480 isn't.

Music was more tolerable than most videos with just music but a lot of people are put off by background music.

Do you really want more roofing work? It looked out of place with the fine furniture. Not sure about the porch either but it does look more crafted. I don't doubt there is plenty of skill in doing a roof right but to the untrained eye it just looks like rough timber and builders work.

The answer to your impressions question... I'd think it was someone who could do a good job with wood but who used someone for producing the video that was out of touch with how a video should look. As it is, it is not going to do you any harm but I doubt many will watch it through.

I feel bad after the work you must have put into it but you did ask :)

Spend some money on decent video editing software or get someone to do it..
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Rod » 30 Mar 2018, 18:07

Perhaps a choice of looking at each one individually from an index page and then the video if interested.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 30 Mar 2018, 19:06

Andyp wrote:I wonder if watching a video of still images adds anything to the still images that can be viewed on your website anyway.

Thanks Andy... thought you might like the first bit. :D

Ah yes, I didn't think of that. :eusa-doh:

The other reason is that I'm also a member of a few groups on Facebook and I thought about throwing on there every other week.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 30 Mar 2018, 19:07

Malc2098 wrote:Paul,

I did the same as Andy (x2 speed).

If I were a prospective client, I think I'd find the image squeezing up the screen and then down again when it's title displayed a little annoying.

Thanks Malc... this is one element I find annoying too. :|
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 30 Mar 2018, 19:15

9fingers wrote:I'd far rather click through top level single stills of each project with the ability to drill down on anything I liked to see more detail. 360 degree pan under viewer control might be good but possibly have to shoot that at the the time.
100% with Malc on the size changes and for heavens sake LOSE THE MUSIC! You can guarantee it will alienate 50% of potential clients anyway. I stopped at project 3 or 4 - could not take any more. To me it is like someone imposing their taste/religion/politics on others.
Silence is far better to concentrate on the quality of the subject matter.

Sorry if it is not what you want to hear but you did ask lol :lol:

Bob

Thanks Bob... what's a 360 degree pan under viewer control?

So you don't like the music then. :lol:

To be honest, I can't stand some videos where loud thumping music dominates the background - I mute it.

No need to be sorry, like you say, I did ask. :|

Wish I didn't now. :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 30 Mar 2018, 19:40

Robert wrote:Couple of thoughts...

It's too long. 10 minutes is pushing it for the average youtubers attention span. Especially as it is a slideshow without any actual video.

Image quality to me looks poor - sorry. 1080p is what I'd consider minimum for uploading but 4K would be best. Youtube generates all the lower quality variants for those with slow connections. I would skip a video that was only 480p at best. So many high res devices and screens now you want crisp and sharp and 480 isn't.

Music was more tolerable than most videos with just music but a lot of people are put off by background music.

Do you really want more roofing work? It looked out of place with the fine furniture. Not sure about the porch either but it does look more crafted. I don't doubt there is plenty of skill in doing a roof right but to the untrained eye it just looks like rough timber and builders work.

The answer to your impressions question... I'd think it was someone who could do a good job with wood but who used someone for producing the video that was out of touch with how a video should look. As it is, it is not going to do you any harm but I doubt many will watch it through.

I feel bad after the work you must have put into it but you did ask :)

Spend some money on decent video editing software or get someone to do it..

Thanks Robert... Please don't feel bad ole chap - you have nothing to feel bad about. :eusa-liar:

Only joking. :lol:

Seriously, I appreciate your time to watch the film and you must have watched all of it if you saw the front door canopy - I salute you for that. Thanks.

I take on board what you write and I do appreciate good constructive advice - it doesn't upset me at all. My biggest issue with the slide film is the image quality. You mention YouTube generates all the lower quality variants for those with slow connections... is this from my end when uploading a video onto YouTube? Our internet speed is quite poor out here in the rural.

I've shown the roofing project because I do enjoy them although I rarely do them anymore. If approached now, I would be interested but it would have to be a complex roof.

What video software would you recommend?
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 30 Mar 2018, 19:44

Rod wrote:Perhaps a choice of looking at each one individually from an index page and then the video if interested.

Rod

Thanks Rod - that's a good idea. If I go ahead with a slide film, I could load it onto the gallery page of my website below all the images as an option for the viewer to watch. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 30 Mar 2018, 21:04

It's gone. No more. Kaputt. Gone with the wind... silly old fart

I am now in a deep depression and I am going to get very very drunk. :lol:

Thanks for the tips chaps - you're right.

I knew it really, just needed to be told.

Right then, where are those beers.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 30 Mar 2018, 21:09

Pinch wrote:

This is the sort of thing.
https://www.forestholidays.co.uk/locati ... -treehouse
click on the video and then with the mouse you control the motion in 360 degrees by moving away from the centre of the screen.

hth
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Robert » 30 Mar 2018, 23:12

Just for info..

If you click on the cog icon (bottom right) when watching a youtube video you can choose the quality to view at. It will be on 'auto' but you can choose any available by clicking on quality>. The highest choice is what was uploaded by the author. All the lower options are created by youtube.

I need to buy some new video editing software. The prices of the different makes vary a lot as does the learning curve. They also tend to go out of date after a couple of years as new video systems come along and don't get supported in the older versions. I have Adobe Premiere Elements but my version will not output 4k resolution and our cameras and phones now record video in 4K so I can edit at high resolution (4K is 3840 x 2160) but can only output at 1920 x 1080.

In the past I have used Sony Vegas and Cyberlink power director. May go back to Power Director 16 as it seems the cheapest option.

The expense doesn't stop there as your PC needs to be reasonably powerful to edit big video files so whoever's software it is you need to check the requirements and user forums to see what it really needs.

Hence the suggestion to find someone to do it for you... though it might cost just as much as a powerful PC and software.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 31 Mar 2018, 09:10

9fingers wrote:
Pinch wrote:

This is the sort of thing.
https://www.forestholidays.co.uk/locati ... -treehouse
click on the video and then with the mouse you control the motion in 360 degrees by moving away from the centre of the screen.

hth
Bob

Thanks Bob, ah yes, thought it was that. Very nice cabins. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 31 Mar 2018, 09:25

Slightly off post, but Bob, have you considered Open Source Video Editors?

https://www.fosshub.com/Video-Editors.html

I occasionally do some audio editing, so I use Audacity from Open Source. I use Libre Office for all my office stuff, I use QGIS for the GIS work I do. I've even dabbled a bit with QCAD.

These are all free to download, but donations are always welcome.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Pinch » 31 Mar 2018, 09:36

Robert wrote:Just for info..

If you click on the cog icon (bottom right) when watching a youtube video you can choose the quality to view at. It will be on 'auto' but you can choose any available by clicking on quality>. The highest choice is what was uploaded by the author. All the lower options are created by youtube.

I need to buy some new video editing software. The prices of the different makes vary a lot as does the learning curve. They also tend to go out of date after a couple of years as new video systems come along and don't get supported in the older versions. I have Adobe Premiere Elements but my version will not output 4k resolution and our cameras and phones now record video in 4K so I can edit at high resolution (4K is 3840 x 2160) but can only output at 1920 x 1080.

In the past I have used Sony Vegas and Cyberlink power director. May go back to Power Director 16 as it seems the cheapest option

The expense doesn't stop there as your PC needs to be reasonably powerful to edit big video files so whoever's software it is you need to check the requirements and user forums to see what it really needs.

Hence the suggestion to find someone to do it for you... though it might cost just as much as a powerful PC and software.

Thanks Robert. I had a quick browse last night to see what's out there. I see with many of these, the download is free of which you then enter a free trial period of 28 days before subscribing.

:eusa-think: not sure what to do right now, but I would definitely rather learn to do it myself than pay someone to do it for me. I know I would enjoy it. I see Power Director 16 Ultra is on offer at the moment with 30% off at £55.99, going up to Director at £146.99.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 31 Mar 2018, 10:25

I'm checking out the Director Suite 6 spec for compatibility with my PC W7.

Requirements: Intel Core™ i-series or AMD Phenom® II and above
PC: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz

Memory: 2GB required (6GB or above recommended)
PC (RAM): 4.00 GB. System Type: 64-bit

Hard Disc Space: 10GB
PC: Currently has 203GB free space.

Burning: Burning device is required for disc burning purpose
PC: Help (although probably wouldn't burn anything)

Sound Card: Windows compatible sound card is required
PC: Help.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but going by the above info, is my PC compatible?

Thanks.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 31 Mar 2018, 13:38

It will work but it may struggle as that is a fairly low spec for video editing.

Power director comes in various versions with add ons that take the price up. When I bought it in the past I had the higher version and the add ons proved worthless. So if I was buying again (still not decided) I'd go for the cheapest version of 16. Amazon is cheaper than buying direct (or it was last week).

Get the free trial and see how it goes for you.

For any video software....
A low power pc usually makes the editing process a bit painful but the results will end up fine. You arrange your video clips (or photos) along a timeline then you proceed to cut bits out, add transitions and captions etc.. move things around until you have it how you want. There will be tracks on the timeline for soundtracks and overlay graphics. A low power PC struggles to show the preview of what you are editing - it may show you a very low res fuzzy version if there is no computing power to show better quality. Once you have finished editing you 'render' the movie to an output file (you get to choose quality and file type). For that output the program uses your source files at best quality and the output will be much better than the preview you saw while editing. A fast PC might do the render in say 20 minutes a slow one in 2 or 3 hours but the result will be the same.

What you work on in a program is usually called a project. You should save the project regularly as you make changes as video editing can crash out. The project file is just a list of what files were used and what edits you made - not the actual video, it just means you can stop editing and restart another time.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 31 Mar 2018, 14:40

Thanks Robert - very much appreciated. Yes, after looking at the Director Suite 6, I then started to look at the basic package.

The above spec is from a PC my father gave to me a few weeks ago and I'm experiencing issues with it; it's very slow internet and when using internal programs like Word, Publisher etc - even struggles on the simple tasks. It's driving my potty. :x

It's one of those all integral jobbies - processor in the monitor, wireless keyboard & mouse, which is also driving me potty. It was my mother's PC which was Vista, then upgrade to WIN7. My father also recently installed the 2016 Micro Office Suite which is great but so very slow. I haven't the heart to complain to my folks. Our other PC (the one I'm on now) is much much faster although the spec is quite similar (I think), as follows;

WIN 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Duel CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
RAM: 4GB
32 bit
Local Disk (C) is 465 GB with 427 free
Local Disck (D) is 149 GB with 102 free

Mother's Disc Drive readings are;
HP (C): 285 GB with 203 free
FACTORY_IMAGE (D): 13 GB with 1.78 free

I don't know if these make any difference to their performances?

I don't know what's making mother's PC so painfully slow, but it's like walking through treacle.

Would an increase to the RAM improve video editing?

Edit: Also forgot to mention, the fan on ma's PC is running overtime most of the time.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 31 Mar 2018, 15:36

I used to use CyberLink PowerDirector 13 on my PC and iMovie on my MacBook but since I started recording sound separately, I use fcpx (Final Cut Pro 10) on my Mac as it synchronises the sound from my camera and sound recorder “effortlessly”.
A 60min video takes about 90mins to render at 1080 resolution. I make a master file first then burn to DVDs and occasionally upload “privately” to Facebook. I think I can get about 1hr 40 mins video onto a standard 4.7Gb dvd.
At higher resolutions the generated size becomes enormous and I find 1080 HD adequate for my needs.
I store my clips and master files to external hard discs but have to use Photo to transfer clips from my iPhone. That way I do not fill up my 1Tb SSD.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 31 Mar 2018, 17:45

Pinch wrote:I don't know what's making mother's PC so painfully slow, but it's like walking through treacle.

Right click the taskbar and choose task manager. You can then see what processes are running and by clicking the top of the cpu column sort them by processor use. Should give you something to google search to see what is going on.
Task manager also has a performance tab so you can see total cpu use and things like disc and network use too. there may be a clue in there as to what is slowing it down.

If it gets slow after it has been on for a while it could be overheating. Check the vents are not blocked and that the cooler is firmly mounted on the processor. Not unknown for it to come loose.

Pinch wrote:Would an increase to the RAM improve video editing?

Classic advice is to add more RAM but it my experience it makes little difference. If you want to spend money on it a solid state hard drive instead of the standard one will make a big difference (around £110 for 500GB size). that will take some technical know how to clone the old drive or do a fresh install.

Pinch wrote:Edit: Also forgot to mention, the fan on ma's PC is running overtime most of the time.

Also points to overheating. fluff , cooler not seated or other fans failed making one work harder if it is speed controlled by the computer.
Last edited by Robert on 31 Mar 2018, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ssd price added
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 03 Apr 2018, 20:11

Rod wrote:I used to use CyberLink PowerDirector 13 on my PC and iMovie on my MacBook but since I started recording sound separately, I use fcpx (Final Cut Pro 10) on my Mac as it synchronises the sound from my camera and sound recorder “effortlessly”.
A 60min video takes about 90mins to render at 1080 resolution. I make a master file first then burn to DVDs and occasionally upload “privately” to Facebook. I think I can get about 1hr 40 mins video onto a standard 4.7Gb dvd.
At higher resolutions the generated size becomes enormous and I find 1080 HD adequate for my needs.
I store my clips and master files to external hard discs but have to use Photo to transfer clips from my iPhone. That way I do not fill up my 1Tb SSD.

Rod

Thanks for your input Rod, much appreciated. I've been checking the settings on WMM this afternoon. As you're about to publish the film onto the computer, there are a few options and I've always clicked the 'recommended' option. Today, I looked at the alternatives thinking the more memory the film is going to use, it's got to be bigger and therefore better quality, but not the case. I published a film set to one of the other options and tried it out on YouTube tonight and the quality of the film set to full screen is no different - perhaps a tad worse. So I don't really know what I'm doing, but certainly coming to the conclusion if I want to achieve 1080, I'm going to have to buy better software. I'm still pondering over the Power Director 16 and will most likely go with it. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 03 Apr 2018, 20:24

Robert wrote:
Pinch wrote:I don't know what's making mother's PC so painfully slow, but it's like walking through treacle.

Right click the taskbar and choose task manager. You can then see what processes are running and by clicking the top of the cpu column sort them by processor use. Should give you something to google search to see what is going on.
Task manager also has a performance tab so you can see total cpu use and things like disc and network use too. there may be a clue in there as to what is slowing it down.

If it gets slow after it has been on for a while it could be overheating. Check the vents are not blocked and that the cooler is firmly mounted on the processor. Not unknown for it to come loose.

Pinch wrote:Would an increase to the RAM improve video editing?

Classic advice is to add more RAM but it my experience it makes little difference. If you want to spend money on it a solid state hard drive instead of the standard one will make a big difference (around £110 for 500GB size). that will take some technical know how to clone the old drive or do a fresh install.

Pinch wrote:Edit: Also forgot to mention, the fan on ma's PC is running overtime most of the time.

Also points to overheating. fluff , cooler not seated or other fans failed making one work harder if it is speed controlled by the computer.

Thanks again for your input Robert - very useful. I've tried the task master to see what's going on and it went zooming over the top of my head. I haven't Google anything yet because I then decided to shut down ma's PC and put it to one side until I get it upgraded to a 500Gb hard drive. I also went through the norms of disc cleaning and defragmenting and the feedback was all is fine. I did remove the back to check for dust but not much to talk about. Mother's PC is 9 years old and the one I'm using now is also 9 years old but this was upgraded last year to a larger hard drive by a colleague and it runs great - responsive, sharp and fairly quick.

I tried to experiment with WMM as described to Rod above and yep, the answer is better software if I want to create better quality slide films. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat