It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:27

oldy woldy phone

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

oldy woldy phone

Postby Halo Jones » 31 Mar 2018, 12:57

Mrs Halo has just returned with a classic 70's 80's rotary phone. She wants to put it in our front hall. Only problem is that there is no phone socket in the hall and even if there were I disabled the bell wire long ago to prevent any interference on our ADSL line.

Before I start the painful process of somehow getting a phone socket in the hall does anyone know if there is a "gizmo" I can plug the phone into that will let it integrate into our other DECT phones? :eusa-pray:
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Re: oldy woldy phone

Postby Rod » 31 Mar 2018, 14:17

Are you actually going to use it?

We’ve got a bright red one that I used to have as a “hot line” in my office.
My kids used to play with it.
We still have the original BT sockets and we tried it out the other week - the dial-up takes forever and we soon got fed up with it.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Deejay » 31 Mar 2018, 16:22

Halo Jones wrote:Mrs Halo has just returned with a classic 70's 80's rotary phone. She wants to put it in our front hall. Only problem is that there is no phone socket in the hall and even if there were I disabled the bell wire long ago to prevent any interference on our ADSL line.

Before I start the painful process of somehow getting a phone socket in the hall does anyone know if there is a "gizmo" I can plug the phone into that will let it integrate into our other DECT phones? :eusa-pray:

Afternoon Halo

IIRC the bell wire on the old permanent wiring was only needed when extension phones were fitted. Under the old 'hard wired' system, the telephones were wired in parallel, but the bells were wired in series, hence the additional wire if there was more than one phone.

Before you get carried away, does the new phone have a standard plug on the end of the cable? If so, remove the cable feeding your DECT phone base station, remove any other telephones you may have from any other socketsand plug the rotary phone into the master socket and see if it works.

If you get dial tone, call a mobile to see if the exchange still recognises the dial pulses. Call your land line from a mobile to see if the bell works.

If you get that far, put a socket doubler into the master socket, reconnect the other cables, plug the rotary phone into the spare half of the socket doubler and try it with the existing telaphones connected.

If it all works, run a twisted pair of wires in a cable from an existing socket (the easiest to connect to where the rotary phone will be) and terminate one wire between terminal 5 at both ends and the other one to terminal 2 at both ends.

Let us know how it goes.

Edit - don't forget you'll need a broadband filter onthe rotary phone.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby Halo Jones » 01 Apr 2018, 08:26

Rod - the phone that been brought into the house is also the red version! Apparently it is a design statement and also reminds Mrs H of the phone that she had in her family house.

Dave - Thanks for the detailed response. The phone plug was already upgraded to the current style and when plugged in can be used to answer calls. The return spring on the rotary dial is needing a bit of attention as you need to help it back to the home position a little but you can also make calls out (although why you would want to!).

The only problem now is that the bells don't ring. I replaced the bell wire and when you make an incoming call you can hear something in the phone vibrate slightly but it isn't enough to ring the bells. I found numerous sites that give many explanations for why this might be so I shall have to experiment. Despite my grumblings I also managed to get a socket to the hallway so brownie points for me!

Our broadband was uprgraded to fibre to the cabinet a few years ago and I can't say I have noticed any drop in the speed since replacing the bell wire so that hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

And we actually have some sunshine this morning so all is good with the world!
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 01 Apr 2018, 11:18

At Home we had a Trim phone - cannot remember what happened to that.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby old » 01 Apr 2018, 13:52

old
New Shoots

Name: Chris

Postby Deejay » 02 Apr 2018, 08:42

Morning Halo

Glad it's (nearly) sorted.

you can also make calls out (although why you would want to!).

When the mains fails, your DECT phones won't work. :)

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat