It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:38

GDPR.....grrrrr!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

GDPR.....grrrrr!

Postby RogerS » 23 May 2018, 04:57

I swear that if I get one more bloody email asking me to 'tick the box' because of GDPR I will throw my computer out of the window.

GDPR is yet another example of pointless EU legislation and in the same league as their bloody stupid cookie law that wastes everyone's time when they access a website.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: GDPR.....grrrrr!

Postby Coley » 23 May 2018, 06:19

I'm really looking forward to the new law coming in. Over the last few weeks I've had countless emails asking to confirm I still wish to receive their spam. I never asked for it in the first place !!!! I hope it's gonna overnight stop the spam I get with my work email.

I haven't confirmed anything with anyone. I plan on seeing what happens for a few weeks then search and subscribe to emails I miss seeing like workshop heaven etc.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 May 2018, 06:24

Coley wrote:I'm really looking forward to the new law coming in. Over the last few weeks I've had countless emails asking to confirm I still wish to receive their spam....

Far be it for me to rain on your parade but it won't stop spam. :cry:

The only way to stop spam is to take away the computer from anyone who gets infected by a virus etc. Spammers rely on being able to hijack people's computers and form botnets to send out the spam, for the most part. So, if people are too dumb/lazy/ignorant not to have proper antivirus software in place then take away their computers/smartphones/tablets etc. Simples.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 23 May 2018, 06:28

It must have some effect though? I've had 2-3 emails per day (sometimes more) requesting I confirm my interest with certain companies. Surely those should just stop after the 25th ?

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 23 May 2018, 08:25

You have to action some of them as I’ve received a few that say you don’t have to do anything they will continue to send you stuff as before.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 May 2018, 08:48

Coley wrote:It must have some effect though? I've had 2-3 emails per day (sometimes more) requesting I confirm my interest with certain companies. Surely those should just stop after the 25th ?

Possibly not. If you've never signed up to them in the first place then do you think that they will take any notice of GDPR ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 23 May 2018, 08:51

But why would they be stating the new law and asking for permission to continue sending ? Seems like they must be considering it

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 May 2018, 08:59

Coley wrote:But why would they be stating the new law and asking for permission to continue sending ? Seems like they must be considering it

You're on their database (for whatever reason)...along with everyone else (including those who asked for the marketing stuff)...so they are applying a blanket approach and asking people to confirm that they want to continue to receive the stuff. But if you never asked for it in the first place, I don't see any reason why they or any other companies shouldn't continue to 'sign you up' and send you stuff.

There is an inconsistency in the GDPR approach as well that I find extra tedious. Some ask you to confirm, some say they will continue to send you stuff unless you opt out, some just say 'we've changed our privacy guidelines'. Thus making you waste time having to read the bloody emails to see what you need to do (or not).

And, as I said, it is pointless....you will still get bombarded for male enhancement tablets or invitations to meet lovely Russian ladies.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 23 May 2018, 15:14

The only request I received from across the Sahara was from British Airways.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 24 May 2018, 18:49

Dammit. I've been a plonker. Apple Mail has Rules. I just created a new one.

If message content contains 'GDPR' then delete.

Now why didn't I think of that before ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 12 Jun 2018, 06:49

Anyone else noticed the spam has stopped almost overnight ? I gave up using my work email and instead used my personal email address for everything. I've had zero spam since the new law came in ! I've sent a few emails to myself just to check it was still working

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Jun 2018, 07:48

Coley wrote:Anyone else noticed the spam has stopped almost overnight ? I gave up using my work email and instead used my personal email address for everything. I've had zero spam since the new law came in ! I've sent a few emails to myself just to check it was still working

TBH I've not noticed much difference - in that I rarely got spam anyway. The ISP who manages my personal email account has always been very good at filtering out any spam before it got to me.

I still get the junk from overseas still but then they wouldn't care about GDPR
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat