It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:30

Android or iPhone ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Android or iPhone ?

Postby HappyHacker » 07 Jun 2018, 09:03

Apple have announced that they are developing enhancements to stop their users being tracked by Facebook, Google etc, even down to hiding the computer/phone identity.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Andyp » 07 Jun 2018, 09:09

Doesn't Firefox do that anyway? I certainly have Tracking Protection enabled on FF.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby HappyHacker » 07 Jun 2018, 09:33

Andyp wrote:Doesn't Firefox do that anyway? I certainly have Tracking Protection enabled on FF.

I typed a long reply and then managed to delete it. :-(

They can still track computers based on the contents of the computer, the OS config, etc. apart from the IP, MAC address and cookies. Even using proxy servers may not stop this but I have not looked into this yet.

It may be worth doing a data request to see what they have but when I try to do this with credit reference agencies they want even more information from me to prove that I am me. As I already know they have incorrect information about me I am not interested in giving them more information that they can then use to enhance their business.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Robert » 07 Jun 2018, 16:49

RogerS wrote:
Robert wrote:....
I started off with an iphone but kept finding things it wouldn't do. ...

Curious to have some examples, Robert, as that could affect my choice.

It was a couple of phones ago now but back then I wanted to control music playback on DLNA enabled hifi and apple (then.. but I assume still) refused to work with DLNA as it was not an apple standard.

More recently.. We have 2 cheap IP cameras that let my wife see the cat when we are away (don't go there). A family friend with an iphone downloaded the app and I gave our login - worked fine. cat sitter could check cat too. cat sitter decides to get same camera for their own cat. iphone would not let them set it up - not apple kit I suppose. had to return it or get android user to do it for them.

Apple is great with apple kit. With 3rd party kit it just says no unless there is a major investment in software by the maker (thinking of Sonos which does play nice)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Coley » 07 Jun 2018, 17:01

Years ago I wanted to Bluetooth some pictures and video to my friends iPhone. Not possible- perhaps they've changed it now though........? Compared to android it just seems so restricted what apple will allow you to do.
The cracked screen is a thing I see quite alot. One thing I will say is that even though it's cracked, they still seem to be able to use the phone as normal, or they just can't be bothered with the hassle of getting it replaced

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 07 Jun 2018, 17:37

Coley wrote:Years ago I wanted to Bluetooth some pictures and video to my friends iPhone. Not possible- perhaps they've changed it now though........? Compared to android it just seems so restricted what apple will allow you to do.
The cracked screen is a thing I see quite alot. One thing I will say is that even though it's cracked, they still seem to be able to use the phone as normal, or they just can't be bothered with the hassle of getting it replaced

There is an extremely good reason why Apple put sensible restrictions on access. Namely security. If you are at all bothered about being hacked, compromised, ransom-wared then you can't get much better end-to-end security than Apples' iOS and OSX. True there are the occasional attack vectors that get picked up on but in comparison to the Wild West of Android and M'oft, Apple is an oasis f=of calm !

Cracked screens are down to the incompetence of the wetware between the ears :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 07 Jun 2018, 17:38

I thought it was the flimsy aluminium they used

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 07 Jun 2018, 19:12

Or people carrying them in their back trouser pocket and sitting down!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 07 Jun 2018, 20:23

Rod wrote:Or people carrying them in their back trouser pocket and sitting down!

Rod

Hence my comment about wetware !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Jun 2018, 20:39

Rod wrote:Or people carrying them in their back trouser pocket and sitting down!

Rod

I've done that hundreds of times and never bent one yet. It was only the larger 6+ that suffered from that initially, then they fixed it in later revisions. It was where the thinner metal was around the volume and power buttons.

Don't believe all the hype...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 07 Jun 2018, 20:55

You must have a soft bottom

I’ve had iPhones since the 4 came out and never damaged one yet.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 07 Jun 2018, 23:02

The last place I worked had over 300 employees. The computing was about 90% PC and 10% Mac. Tablet usage was 100% Apple. I was the only person that had both a Mac and PC on my desk so most staff knew I was a Mac user. During my time there quite a number of people switched to Macs and they all said the same thing to me “I will never ever use a PC again” :D I never heard of anyone going the other way though. :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 11 Jun 2018, 14:15

Andyp wrote:
For the kids androids are fine but when my MotoG gives up the ghost I will have an iPhone.

SWIMBO treated me to a 7 a couple of years ago which has been fine thus far; I also got the additional battery case so can go for two days without going near a charger. She also bought herself a 7+ last year which she likes, but it tends to stay buried in the deepest, darkest, depths of her handbag or purse.

What I found extremely irksome was that I was in Currys/PC World the other week buying a new printer and the spotty oik who was serving me asked me if I wanted to upgrade my 'fone...as if upgrading my 'fone had anything to do with buying a new printer :twisted:

I resisted temptation to offer a suitable reply, which I now regret - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat