It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:08

Android or iPhone ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Android or iPhone ?

Postby RogerS » 03 Jun 2018, 09:43

I've used Android phones for several years now. I quite like the user interface and never really 'got it' with the Apple one, having tried various iPods etc.

But now my contract is coming up for renewal and so was wondering whether or not to switch. Has anyone else done this ?

FYI I won't be looking at the latest iPhones as the monthly sub is above my paygrade.

TIA
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Android or iPhone ?

Postby Andyp » 03 Jun 2018, 09:50

The whole family here have androids. Motorola/Lenovos. 6 months ago the missus got an iPhone from work and she now wonders why she struggled with the dual operating systems of the android phones, ie the Manufacturers skin and the Google based android.

Maybe we have bought rhe cheaper android phones and perhaps Samsungs or other high end would be better.

For the kids androids are fine but when my MotoG gives up the ghost I will have an iPhone.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Jimmy Mack » 03 Jun 2018, 10:42

£700-1000 and a broken screen or £150 (non flagship Android) ?

The Google phone might be worth a look in... In theory it'll be the most software and security (to date) compatible with Android.

I've always had Android and Mac desk tops... My wife has an iPhone.

I'd kill an iPhone in a week

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Coley » 03 Jun 2018, 10:45

I like Samsung galaxys. I've had an s2 an s3 and an s5. I always use to upgrade to the newest version but since the s5 I haven't had a reason to. When it breaks I'll have to look again but for now it does everything I need.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 03 Jun 2018, 11:14

I’ve used iPhones for many years, in fact all my family do.
Currently 128Gb 7plus, wife has a 7.
I hardly ever use my computers now except for video and photo editing and printing.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 03 Jun 2018, 11:29

iPhone family here. We find Apple stuff easier to use and it all syncs together nicely, iPhone, iPad, and iMac. Airdrop is a nicety we use a fair bit.
I have used non Apple stuff at work but it was never pleasant. I also set up someone’s Android tablet once and didn’t like that either compared to my iPad.
It’s often down to money for some though so Android is a compelling argument if you’re on a budget.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 03 Jun 2018, 12:09

I have used Motorola Moto G phones (Android) for a few years and have been very happy with them.
However I am very concerned that despite trying to set reasonably high levels of privacy I keep on getting alerts from Google, despite trying to turn stylised photos off I keep on getting alerts about my latest stylised photos. As I approach the end of my life I do not want to waste what is left messing around with things that should just work.

Then there are the continual updates to the Google privacy policy to allow them to improve my customer experience! As a self confessed nerd I do actually read these things, I make no claim to be able to understand them though.

So I am very seriously considering an Apple phone for my next replacement. I have more confidence in Apple than Google. I have become an Apple convert having bought a MacBook Pro and am very happy with it and curse every time I try to get something done on a Microsoft OS machine of which I have three as it is all so difficult. Of course Apple are not perfect and they have their problems but they do not have such a strong following for nothing. I speak as someone who wrote my first computer program in the 1960s and was using PCs before IBM "invented" them.

There have been issues with Samsung as they appear to only provide Android updates for 2 years after that they expect you to get a new phone.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Rod » 03 Jun 2018, 13:45

I’ve had iPhones 4,5,6 and now 7.
I protect them with tech21 wallet drop protection cases and a toughened glass screen protector. The cases are not cheap but reasonable when they have a sale.
I’ve never had any breakages yet and carry it all the time.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby fiveeyes » 03 Jun 2018, 17:06

I have an I-phone..a 3gs..still going strong. Wife has a 6 plus now, as she is the 'home phone'. You would not be able to wrench it from her.
Also, there is a reason that all mobiles are compared to an I-phone.
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 03 Jun 2018, 18:14

I moved to android two years ago and I'm moving back. Its jot because of the operating system it is becauseof the general build quality. My iPhone went for years and years. To get anything good fro.android I have had to jailbreak them out of the terrible Samsung skins. I'm going back to iPhone even though I hate apple and the built in obsolescence the is updates bring to older phones. I would consider a goggle pixel but why would I bother when I can get a cheaper android that does the same thing.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jun 2018, 18:33

We're both iP and Mac, now.

SDIL gave me her old 3GS when she upgraded and it was so easy, I went and got a contract with a 5s for free and now have 6s for free, and my wife has, too. She walks around with her MacBook al the time.

I use iPad for consultancy and Mac Mini for desk top.

Before a site visit, I have all the drawings downloaded to the iPad (Airdrop from the Mini - sooooo easy). I have all the relevant DfT publications on the iPad to refer to. I take photos & Videos on site and handwrite notes with the Apple Pen. I annotate the drawings and photos with the pen and I airdrop them back to the Mini when I get back to write the reports.

As a package, they have been so good, and sync easily, too.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 04 Jun 2018, 05:55

Sadly the hardware on my iMac (nearly ten years old) doesn't support Airdrop. Nevertheless I may well give the iPhone a try.

I'd be interested to know just how many people are using the same PC after ten years and whether its' performance, running the latest version of Microsoft that it can, is as good as it was when it was first bought running whatever version was current then.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Coley » 04 Jun 2018, 08:38

Does apple allow you to download music you've purchased in mp3 format now? That was another reason I never considered apple.

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Jun 2018, 09:21

One of the reasons I got the Mini was because there came a time on my old laptop, bought 2008, that the Windows updates, wouldn't update on Vista.

I've bought music on Amazon, primarily for making a movie for a friend's birthday, and it sits nicely in iTunes.

But the syncing and transferring between the phone, tablet, desktop and cloud is such a doddle!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 04 Jun 2018, 10:05

Coley wrote:Does apple allow you to download music you've purchased in mp3 format now? That was another reason I never considered apple.

But download where from ? Native format in iTunes isn't MP3. But you can load MP3 stuff onto your Mac and play it...or convert it with many of the free apps.

Mind you, if you will insist on downloading a 'lossy' audio format :eusa-whistle:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Jun 2018, 10:28

RogerS wrote: Native format in iTunes isn't MP3. But you can load MP3 stuff onto your Mac and play it...or convert it with many of the free apps.

Mind you, if you will insist on downloading a 'lossy' audio format :eusa-whistle:

Roger, I just put together a montage of photos for my FIL's funeral with a soundtrack. Download the MP3 file, double click on it; off it plays in iTunes; save it to the (in my case 'funeral') playlist.

And using Keynote (Mac's equivalent of Powerpoint) it searches your iTunes for your track.

It was so easy, even I could do it!

I have one set of playlists for my Mini, one for the iPhone for when I'm away or driving, and another for the iPad for when I'm in the workshop. They are copied from my own CD collection and are so easy to import to iTunes, then make up different playlists.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 04 Jun 2018, 10:45

I'm afraid I gave up on iTunes many years ago when it (a) became increasingly bloatware and (b) provided a clunky user-interface. I tend to use Qobuz all the time now. Not bought any CDs or paid for any downloaded tracks for ages other than the pittance that I pay to Qobuz for a vast repertoire.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Jun 2018, 11:02

We await a review of Qobuz on an iPhone with interest. :)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Rod » 04 Jun 2018, 11:19

My PC is over 10yrs old, probably running XP then now Win 10 via 7.
It was a pretty high spec one and runs 10 very well. The only pain is the long boot up time and frequent upgrades so we keep it mainly “sleeping” when not in use.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 04 Jun 2018, 11:33

I’ve got an App which allows you to copy music, video, films etc. straight from a Mac to iPads/iPhones without using iTunes.
It’s a very quick process but you loose them when you sync with iTunes and have to repeat the process.
Before I went into hospital last year I filled my 128Gb phone with stuff to pass the time.

Using my PC I copied my iTunes music library to an usb stick which I use in my car as an external drive.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 04 Jun 2018, 12:22

Rod wrote:.....
Before I went into hospital last year I filled my 128Gb phone with stuff to pass the time.

Rod

LOL...I have the T-shirt. I went through a phase of recording an awful lot of Afternoon on Three. Never got round to indexing what each track was. One day I realised I was running out of disk space. A quick peek showed an iTunes library of 250GB. All of unindexed music for the main part. I transferred the lot to an external drive and freed up the space. I never went back to that external drive !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Jun 2018, 14:14

Coley wrote:Does apple allow you to download music you've purchased in mp3 format now? That was another reason I never considered apple.

You’ve always been able to do that, you just need to know how...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Coley » 04 Jun 2018, 16:35

No way !! I thought apple originally made it difficult to download as mp3 ? When the time comes for a new phone perhaps I should include iPhones in my search.

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 04 Jun 2018, 16:59

I’ve had MP3’s in iTunes for ages. You can also convert existing AIFF files to MP3 if you really want to.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Jun 2018, 17:13

TrimTheKing wrote:

You’ve always been able to do that, you just need to know how...

there's is no magic involved. Most of the songs on my iMac are MP3s from my own CDs. I have just transferred a load to the wife's iPhone 6 ( hope she wont mind) . They play no problem.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat