It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:13

The time has come...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: The time has come...

Postby Rod » 11 Aug 2018, 10:33

For most of the time I wear photochromic varifocal prescription glasses. Because of the UV filters in car windscreens, they do not darken when driving, so I used to use clip-on ones that I’d bought in the States.
I’ve also had medical insurance for many years but it was only last year I realised it would cover prescription glasses and sunglasses every 2yrs up to £800 Doh!!
So as well as a new pair of photochromics, I’ve also got a pair of prescription varifocal Polaroid sunglasses - great for driving.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 11 Aug 2018, 20:13

Jimmy Mack wrote:I'm imagining something along the lines of 'The Dude' from the Big Lebowski

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Oh yes, very smooth. 8-)

There's a deal with these cool shades... you get a free hat too. :lol:

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 11 Aug 2018, 20:21

Rod wrote:For most of the time I wear photochromic varifocal prescription glasses. Because of the UV filters in car windscreens, they do not darken when driving, so I used to use clip-on ones that I’d bought in the States.
I’ve also had medical insurance for many years but it was only last year I realised it would cover prescription glasses and sunglasses every 2yrs up to £800 Doh!!
So as well as a new pair of photochromics, I’ve also got a pair of prescription varifocal Polaroid sunglasses - great for driving.

Rod

Cool info - thanks for sharing matey. 8-)

Yes, I shall look in to this more very soon. I couldn't get on with varifocal lenses - especially when I worked on the drawing board, so I've been bifocals for several years. I had a new prescription only last year and I was seriously considering reactor lights then. The photochromic prescription sounds very expensive.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Coley » 11 Aug 2018, 20:24

I can't help but keep thinking of the Tiger oak cabinet ! Did you post a drawing of it somewhere? (I think if I saw it printed on the wall everyday I'd stop thinking about it) Good luck with your new venture !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pinch » 13 Aug 2018, 08:28

Coley wrote:I can't help but keep thinking of the Tiger oak cabinet ! Did you post a drawing of it somewhere? (I think if I saw it printed on the wall everyday I'd stop thinking about it) Good luck with your new venture !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ha ha, thanks chap! :D Yes, I posted a sketch drawing of the TOC everywhere including on here several times. I also have a large banner of the TOC on a wall in my workshop, which is coming down very soon. I would hang it our living room, but I don't think Mrs P will approve of such a spectacle. :|

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 13 Aug 2018, 15:44

That's a fine looking combo! Perfect for when you take the top off the bus under a low bridge... (you won't of course ).
Pinch wrote:
Jimmy Mack wrote:I'm imagining something along the lines of 'The Dude' from the Big Lebowski

Oh yes, very smooth. 8-)

There's a deal with these cool shades... you get a free hat too.

I have news from my village stroll... News for Merlin.... I'm not quite sure what to make of it...

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 13 Aug 2018, 19:18

Ha ha, good work ole chap! :D

I wish I lived opposite Wacky Jackie. I would have Merlin on the drive looking over to the bride with gaze of great enthusiasm. 8-)

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 13 Aug 2018, 20:26

That's my first day of driver training done and by golly, 4 hours of intense driving on A roads including duel carriageways, B roads, uphill starts, down hill starts, busy town centres and some reversing. :D

The coach I'm training in is a 16 year old girl with a manual gearbox. A couple of the gears are tricky to find and you can't actually see the gear stick when driving - it's quite far back to the left of the driving seat. The gear stick play from 6th to reverse is about half a metre :lol: :shock: An auto would have been so much easier. I'm also not 100% happy with the drivers' seat - I'll take in a couple of cushions tomorrow. It was a nice experience to use a retarder for the first time - very effective. Within a short time of driving, I felt comfortable with the sheer size of the vehicle and front steering wheels so far back etc - I kind of knew I would be okay, but now I know I am for sure which is great! But... driving to test standard is really hard. I know this was only my first day and the instructor said I've done very well for day 1, but there is sooo much to take in with all the elements of driving a large vehicle and the correct & safe way of driving it. It's almost like learning to drive all over again. If today was the test, I would have failed on more than one count. I'm not feeling that confident with the test only 4 days away, but I still have another 14 hours of driving before the test.

It's simple, I have to fluently get to test standard by the end of the week - eek! :P
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Jimmy Mack » 13 Aug 2018, 20:38

Sounds like it's going very well and more so, you're enjoying yourself, which is more than half the battle

Keep it up

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Aug 2018, 21:06

Remember the 'Bath Tub Curve', Pinch, and you'll get through it just fine.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 14 Aug 2018, 19:40

Jimmy Mack wrote:Sounds like it's going very well and more so, you're enjoying yourself, which is more than half the battle

Keep it up

Cheers Jim - things have now changed, explained below... :evil:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 14 Aug 2018, 19:43

RogerS wrote:Remember the 'Bath Tub Curve', Pinch, and you'll get through it just fine.

I can't say I do ole chap. I've Googled it, and the only info I'm finding is something used in reliability engineering. :eusa-think:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 14 Aug 2018, 19:51

Pinch wrote:
RogerS wrote:Remember the 'Bath Tub Curve', Pinch, and you'll get through it just fine.

I can't say I do ole chap. I've Googled it, and the only info I'm finding is something used in reliability engineering. :eusa-think:

Yes You are quite correct Paul. It is the typical distribution of faults over time with a new item of technology. Maybe Roger was having a senior moment? :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Jimmy Mack » 14 Aug 2018, 19:55

Pinch wrote:
Jimmy Mack wrote:Sounds like it's going very well and more so, you're enjoying yourself, which is more than half the battle

Keep it up

Cheers Jim - things have now changed, explained below... :evil:
Changed- I don't understand

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 14 Aug 2018, 20:57

Update: (so soon)...

I mentioned in yesterday's post that I wasn't 100% happy with the drivers' seat adjustment. Well, I guess I was trying to convince myself all was okay, but the broken seat issue wasn't the half of it. :twisted:

I learnt this morning, the driver seat problem was a broken down gas cylinder preventing the seat from elevating. Three other issues included a broken indicator stalk, a badly offset steering wheel visually obscuring the rev counter and other gauges when driving in a straight line and the coach pulled to the left when applying reasonable pressure to the service brake.

After much thought and a pretty much sleepless night, I contacted the firm this morning to say I won't be attending anymore driver training due to (in my opinion) a large training vehicle not fit for purpose. I then demanded a full refund. In a later phone conversation today, the chap admitted these broken elements should have been addressed before training begun. This firm was happy to take a substantial amount of money from me and train me in a coach which was potentially dangerous in my opinion.

Anyway, they have since refunded the full amount this afternoon with an apology and I am very grateful for that. On reflection, I don't believe their intentions were to take me for a ride - no pun intended. Most of their work is HGV and not PCV. The training coach doesn't get used much and I think it's simply been neglected with little use and then brought out from the yard for training without a quality check. Well it's back fired on them - no pun intended. On a much more serious note, it's illegal. Two of many important checks for a driver of a large vehicle is safe correctly adjusted seating position with good visibility of the road and instrument panel which must be in good working order. It's not rocket science. A consolation - I got a free 4 hour driving session yesterday.

Moving on... Plan B. Which was originally Plan A. :eusa-whistle:

I am now booked to start driver training again this Monday with the test on the Friday. I should have booked up with this firm originally, but I went for a slightly cheaper option - yeah yeah I know. I'm still within my margins to start the new job on time subject to passing the driving and CPC practical tests.

This is proving to be quite a journey so far! :eusa-whistle:

But, we'll fight them on the beaches...

In the workshop tomorrow with the ongoing clearing out programme.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 14 Aug 2018, 21:15

Pinch wrote:

Wrong context (and you can ignore Bob :lol: ). It's all to do with psychology and change management. When you start something new, there is an initial 'high' (which you're experiencing now)and corresponds to the top LH corner of the bath tub.

But then usually reality, angst, aggro ...whatever kicks in and morale takes a dip...sliding down the LH slope of the bathtub.

And you then bump along the bottom until it all starts to make sense, you ride up the RH curve of the bathtub and back to the top.

As an aside Change Management is all about minimising how deep that LH curve is and minimising how long the ride along the bottom takes to reach the start of the RH curve.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Aug 2018, 21:44

But I've got a P bath for showering in. :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Jimmy Mack » 14 Aug 2018, 21:50

Malc2098 wrote:But I've got a P bath for showering in. :D
Is this bath business the same as go steady with confidence? Like me da said when I passed me driving test

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Aug 2018, 07:39

Jimmy Mack wrote:
Is this bath business the same as go steady with confidence? Like me da said when I passed me driving test

That looks like a VW having passed its emission tests :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 15 Aug 2018, 16:31

9fingers wrote:
Pinch wrote:

Yes You are quite correct Paul. It is the typical distribution of faults over time with a new item of technology. Maybe Roger was having a senior moment? :lol:

Bob

Yes, I wondered if he might be eating too many oranges. :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 15 Aug 2018, 16:46

RogerS wrote:
Pinch wrote:

Wrong context (and you can ignore Bob :lol: ). It's all to do with psychology and change management. When you start something new, there is an initial 'high' (which you're experiencing now)and corresponds to the top LH corner of the bath tub.

But then usually reality, angst, aggro ...whatever kicks in and morale takes a dip...sliding down the LH slope of the bathtub.

And you then bump along the bottom until it all starts to make sense, you ride up the RH curve of the bathtub and back to the top.

As an aside Change Management is all about minimising how deep that LH curve is and minimising how long the ride along the bottom takes to reach the start of the RH curve.

Oh I see! Yep, I certainly started on the top lip of the LH slope. I then plummeted down the slope at considerable speed straight through the bottom of the bath onto the floorboards below. After climbing back up through the hole in the bath, I bumped along for a short while, then accelerated back up on to the lip on the LH slope. I am currently still on this lip awaiting a wee nudge for that slide down to the bottom for a bumpy ride. I hope during next week when the new training begins, I find a fluidity in driving to test standard when I shall no doubt start to ride up the RH curve; hopefully maintaining this level throughout my 2 hour test on Friday which starts just before the morning rush hour traffic. :|

If I pass, I shall be rocketed up way beyond that RH curve in to the realms of wonderfullness. :D

If I fail........ I shall be very very grumpy. :cry:

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 15 Aug 2018, 16:47

Oi, we don't want to know what you do in your bath Malc. ;) :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 15 Aug 2018, 16:50

RogerS wrote:
Jimmy Mack wrote:

That looks like a VW having passed its emission tests :lol:

I reckon Jim's got a few cans of Guinness in the back of that motor! ;) :lol:

Pinch
Old Oak

Postby selectortone » 15 Aug 2018, 19:29

I've been through a few of those bathtub-curve cycles. What you really need to avoid is going down the plug-hole at the bottom. :mrgreen:

Good luck Paul and Illegitimi non carborundum.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Pinch » 15 Aug 2018, 20:41

selectortone wrote:I've been through a few of those bathtub-curve cycles. What you really need to avoid is going down the plug-hole at the bottom. :mrgreen:

Good luck Paul and Illegitimi non carborundum.

Thanks Terry. 8-) Indeed, I'm a Jack Russel rough coat with a bone. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat