It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:24

The time has come...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: The time has come...

Postby Andyp » 16 Aug 2018, 12:37

I am totally lost with all that bathtub stuff, but then I prefer to shower :D

Hope it all goes well Paul.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 16 Aug 2018, 20:44

Andyp wrote:I am totally lost with all that bathtub stuff, but then I prefer to shower :D

Hope it all goes well Paul.

Very good ole boy! :lol:

Cheers Andy. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 25 Aug 2018, 09:34

Hello chaps,

The bearer of not so good news... :cry:

Out of the 5 tests, I've passed 4 of them with excellent scores, but failed the big 90 minute driving test yesterday morning. :cry:

I failed on clipping an o/s island kerb, and I had 2 minors marked against me of which one of them I apparently repeated on 2 other occasions. I'm gutted and mentally exhausted. :|

I'm now booked in to retake the driving test next Friday.

I'm not going for a 4 hour lesson the day before, I'm going to go straight into the test with an hours' drive beforehand. My instructor and the examiner both said I am more than good enough to pass the test and certainly ready. I just lost a moment's concentration yesterday which I think is due to feeling so tired, so a 6 day rest from it should recharge my energies and hopefully set me up for the retest.

The repeated minor fault was apparently not checking the o/s blind spot enough. I was shocked with this because I thought I did but it could be I didn't move my head enough for the examiner to see it on those 3 occasions.

The rest of the drive through busy town traffic, including the 'S' reverse and the 7 other manoeuvres was absolutely fine - just that blinkin kerb! I think I was maybe approaching some of the corners and junctions slightly too fast as well, not giving myself enough time through some extremely tight margins, so slow down a wee tad - although I only failed on one. I saw it happening on approach (that was my failing - not a well planned approach), but it was too late, there was nothing I could do. I actually muttered "Oh well that's done it then." The examiner said after the test he heard me mutter the above and said this was positive as I was aware of my error.

So, I've got to go through all of that again next Friday morning. In a 40' long x 9.5' wide coach, it only takes the tiniest blink on the tightest of margins and you could be doomed, as I was yesterday.

On the positive... I know what it's all about now and with a bit more care and focus, I'll hopefully be okay next time round.

Roundabouts are what most people apparently struggle with. Not driving round them, but ensuring you don't cause traffic to slow down when entering a roundabout.

Anyway, hey ho.... let's do it again. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 25 Aug 2018, 09:58

Try not to look at it as a failure, Paul, but a step towards success.

You've clearly recognised the errors either as they were happening or after and that's the route to success.

You will get there, and I shall look forward to reading your report next week.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Jimmy Mack » 25 Aug 2018, 10:02

Ah that's frustrating you can have a near perfect run, but one glitch and the whole pack of cards comes down. Lots of positives in your post there fella, such as being aware of the curb clip error, flying through the hard parts and the examiners confidence in your ability

A few days defragging the ol' peanut and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 25 Aug 2018, 10:27

Condolences
Have a good rest, recharge your batteries and go get em!!
Good luck Paul

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 25 Aug 2018, 10:37

I did something similar, I had a full bike license for many years and when I came to do my car test realised I had done things that would cause me to fail. You should be well prepared for next week, take it easy this week and go into the test fully refreshed and I think you will pass with flying colours.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 25 Aug 2018, 10:43

Best of luck for next Friday Paul!

One thing I remember from my car driving instructor in 1970, was to always move your head when looking in mirrors.

During the test, this makes it obvious to the examiners that you are using the mirrors AND when driving afterwards it helps to reduce neck ache on a long journey that can otherwise occur by just moving your eyes to look in mirrors.
I still do it now and find it works.

hth
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 25 Aug 2018, 11:07

Shame Paul, better luck next week.

yep, don't just do it, be seen to be doing it. The head movements I mean.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 25 Aug 2018, 11:17

Andyp wrote:Shame Paul, better luck next week.

:text-+1:

That was drilled into me. Good luck for next time...and an excellent idea to chill out beforehand.

I remember when I was struggling to be deemed OK to go solo when I learnt to fly a glider. Time after time after time, I'd screw something up on the landing. They tried everything...different instructor, different club, different type of launch. No change. So I stopped for several months (and in this time also landed a 747 many times without hitch on a CAA-approved flight simulator down at Virgin Airlines pilot training facility).

I went back to the club after those months 'rest' and first flight landed effortlessly. And the second time. My instructor was gobsmacked. He tried to break my concentration the third time. Landed effortlessly again. Let's go and have lunch, he said, then after that if you can still do it again, you're off on your own. And I did. And I went.

So...chill, retest, pass, Pinch
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 25 Aug 2018, 14:03

I’ve been watching the young pilots being trained at EasyJet - one is a First Officer aged 20 taking off and landing an Airbus with 150 passengers.
Their trading costs £120k which they have to fund themselves?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 25 Aug 2018, 14:09

Rod wrote:I’ve been watching the young pilots being trained at EasyJet - one is a First Officer aged 20 taking off and landing an Airbus with 150 passengers.
Their trading costs £120k which they have to fund themselves?

Rod

:shock: By golly - £120k :shock:

That puts my training costs of £2.5k to shame a wee bit :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Aug 2018, 14:10

Malc2098 wrote:Try not to look at it as a failure, Paul, but a step towards success.

You've clearly recognised the errors either as they were happening or after and that's the route to success.

You will get there, and I shall look forward to reading your report next week.

Thanks Malc, you're right and yep, I'll report with hopeful good news next Friday. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Aug 2018, 14:16

Jimmy Mack wrote:Ah that's frustrating you can have a near perfect run, but one glitch and the whole pack of cards comes down. Lots of positives in your post there fella, such as being aware of the curb clip error, flying through the hard parts and the examiners confidence in your ability

A few days defragging the ol' peanut and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Thanks Jim, the ol' peanut certainly needs a good defragg. It's been hours & hours of revision over several weeks and sitting tests, plus all the driving lessons absorbing all the information from the instructor and then the big driving test - I'm pooped. :| :P
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Aug 2018, 14:17

Rod wrote:Condolences
Have a good rest, recharge your batteries and go get em!!
Good luck Paul

Rod

Thanks Rod, I will - we'll fight them on the beaches. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Aug 2018, 14:18

DaveL wrote:I did something similar, I had a full bike license for many years and when I came to do my car test realised I had done things that would cause me to fail. You should be well prepared for next week, take it easy this week and go into the test fully refreshed and I think you will pass with flying colours.

Thanks Dave, yep, I should feel ready for it come Friday morning. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Aug 2018, 14:39

9fingers wrote:Best of luck for next Friday Paul!

One thing I remember from my car driving instructor in 1970, was to always move your head when looking in mirrors.

During the test, this makes it obvious to the examiners that you are using the mirrors AND when driving afterwards it helps to reduce neck ache on a long journey that can otherwise occur by just moving your eyes to look in mirrors.
I still do it now and find it works.

hth
Bob

Thanks Bob, yes I know 8-) . I thought I was exaggerating my head movement for the examiner. I can't remember if it applies to a car, but in a large vehicle, you're constantly showing good all round observation with n/s blind spot & mirror, then o/s mirror & blind spot. They recommend n/s & o/s mirror observation every 3-5 seconds when driving in a straight line, then your mirrors and blind spots in prep of pulling away (forward or reverse), plus all the other usual mirror & blind spot observations in normal everyday driving - potential/developing hazards etc etc. I think the examiner was referring to a T junction where I was edging out and gave advancing blind spot checks as I was crawling forward. I couldn't have shown this too well for the examiner.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Aug 2018, 14:48

Thanks Andy, yep, I know. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 25 Aug 2018, 14:52

RogerS wrote:

:text-+1:

That was drilled into me. Good luck for next time...and an excellent idea to chill out beforehand.

I remember when I was struggling to be deemed OK to go solo when I learnt to fly a glider. Time after time after time, I'd screw something up on the landing. They tried everything...different instructor, different club, different type of launch. No change. So I stopped for several months (and in this time also landed a 747 many times without hitch on a CAA-approved flight simulator down at Virgin Airlines pilot training facility).

I went back to the club after those months 'rest' and first flight landed effortlessly. And the second time. My instructor was gobsmacked. He tried to break my concentration the third time. Landed effortlessly again. Let's go and have lunch, he said, then after that if you can still do it again, you're off on your own. And I did. And I went.

So...chill, retest, pass, Pinch

Thanks Roger, yep, it's been drilled into me too. :|

Excellent, and well done Sir! :eusa-clap:

Yep, I'm officially on rest period. 8-)

I also have my daughter's wedding on Tuesday. :P
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby fiveeyes » 26 Aug 2018, 01:49

Paul, congrats to you and the Missus, on your daughters nuptials. Re the test..relax, you've got this. At times, opportunity has strange ways of knocking.

best...bill
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pinch » 27 Aug 2018, 16:00

fiveeyes wrote:Paul, congrats to you and the Missus, on your daughters nuptials. Re the test..relax, you've got this. At times, opportunity has strange ways of knocking.

best...bill

Thanks Bill 8-)

Yep, it's full on tomorrow with the wedding. I'm under strict instructions from Mrs P not to drink too much and make a fool of myself on the dance floor during the evening do. :P :eusa-dance:

I've been doing a bit more in my new hobby shop (almost finished) and it's chilling me out just prefect. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 27 Aug 2018, 16:26

Don't lay awake all night worrying about the speech will you . :)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Aug 2018, 16:36

And don't end the speech with......

"Thank you for your warm support....I shall always be wearing it!"
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Pinch » 27 Aug 2018, 16:43

Andyp wrote:Don't lay awake all night worrying about the speech will you . :)

Oh yeah thanks chap! :x :lol:

Speech!... what speech? :shock:

This wedding isn't going to be fully traditional. Allen my son-in-law to be isn't making a speech because he's petrified. He has two best men and I think they're both saying something. My father loves a bit of the old public talking so he's prepared a 10 minute speech and me... well, I might say something but I might not. If I do, it will be on the spot. I shall certainly be walking her down the isle.

I'm still undecided whether to wear the green or yellow plus fours. They both go with the brown brogues, hmmmmmm.... :eusa-think:

Whatever, if my family are on form, it's going to be a bit of a do.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 27 Aug 2018, 16:45

Malc2098 wrote:And don't end the speech with......

"Thank you for your warm support....I shall always be wearing it!"

Very good chap! :lol:

i was thinking maybe... "This man is a liar! He told me Purple Bricks.........." :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat