It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:05

Google Drive

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Google Drive

Postby Rod » 15 Jun 2018, 15:09

I got a message that my Gmail account was full and I couldn’t receive or send emails. I’d gone over my 15Gb free limit!
I deleted lots of emails which made no difference to the amount at all, so investigated things a bit further. It seems most of my allowances has been taken up with Google Drive and Google Photos - two libraries that I didn’t sign up to or know about!!
Deleting the stuff in Google Drive released 7Gbs.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Google Drive

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Jun 2018, 15:24

You did sign up for Google Drive and Photo's when you signed up for GMail...

Interesting thing is why there's anything in there though if you've never consciously used it...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby selectortone » 15 Jun 2018, 15:32

As part of that signup Google Drive will automatically back up your phone's photo folders unless you specifically tell it not to.

I was a bit leery about that until I got a new phone and found it made the transition a lot easier. It's not like any of my mostly down-the-beach or woodturning pics are controversial or racy (nobody's ever asked me for a naked selfie... :mrgreen: ) so I'm not very fussed about privacy. I can also access all my pics from my Chromebook too. (Did I tell you I had a new Chromebook... ;) )
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Rod » 15 Jun 2018, 16:16

As far as I know I didn’t sign up to anything but have had Gmail when it first came out ( and grabbed my name and .com).
It was first offered unlimited and you used to get frequent messages telling you not to delete things. How things have changed.
My iPhone already uploads my photos so no real need for the google one too

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 16 Jun 2018, 09:59

When Gmail first started I thought that it had a theoretical limit that increased every constantly. There was a counter that you could see going up very slowly on some website somewhere. At some point this was changed to 15gb, which at the time was a gazillion mb more than every other free email provider. It seems times have caught up with us.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby Tusses » 18 Jun 2018, 11:48

I noticed my google account is all of a sudden nearly full ! .. I haven't investigated yet , but it went from about 1gb to 13gb almost overnight .
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 18 Jun 2018, 12:41

I download my Gmail to my Outlook on the laptop, and then every so often clear out the Gmail "all mail".

Then I only load to G-Drive what I want to share.

So, the 15GB should last me a long time. :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Tusses » 18 Jun 2018, 13:53

my usage was less than 1gb for years.
I recently got a moto c phone, so I guess the huge chunk of data usage is something to do with that.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat