It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:15

Don’t make them like this anymore

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Don’t make them like this anymore

Postby Rod » 20 Jun 2018, 14:13

48yrs ago we bought a rotary clothes line, which was made from galvanised steel.
I’ve painted it a couple of times with Galvafroid and the line has been replaced a few times too but the other day it finally gave up the ghost.
I don’t think I’ve had anything that’s lasted that long especially as it’s spent it’s life outside in all weathers.
Somehow I don’t think it’s modern replacement will last that long.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Don’t make them like this anymore

Postby Coley » 20 Jun 2018, 16:17

I had the same conversation earlier. An ancient old watering can that lasted and still is lasting years, vs the modern piece of junk that spills rust over everything I water with it. I tipped some rust converter in it yesterday to try and cure it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Re: Don’t make them like this anymore

Postby Andyp » 20 Jun 2018, 16:54

I have just had to replace an old steel poled, canvas topped 6’ diameter parasol. Too heavy for the missus to carry and erect, now too small and the tilting mechanism has had a good try at chopping my fingers off too many times. Not sure it is 48 years old but it was my fathers before me and is probably at least 35.

The new one is about as strong as I can find. Swiss built but all alloy and I can lift it in one hand! Would like to think it will last but I am not convinced.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat