It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:06

Down memory lane.

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Down memory lane.

Postby Pinch » 23 Jul 2018, 19:35

Malc2098 wrote:We've 'ad a meetin' of the committee and a motion 'as been passed for Mr Pinch to write a book about large breasted fairies.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'll 'av 'arf...

Pseudonym could be Mrs Wobblly Breastfellows :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Pinch on 23 Jul 2018, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 23 Jul 2018, 20:24

RogerS wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:We've 'ad a meetin' of the committee and a motion 'as been passed for Mr Pinch to write a book about large breasted fairies.

And we already know the title ;)

Are you thinking? "Down Mammary Lane."

How about... "The Magical Fairy - Ample Nicky Nockers." :lol: :eusa-think: :| :oops:

"The Unforgettable Miss Bo Obs." :|

I'm having a brain freeze. Nothing is happening. :x

"Dancing With The Fairies" sounds very cool.

"A Meeting With A Large Breasted Fairy." :eusa-think:

"The Fairy And I." :|

Nope... it ain't happening. :x

"The Woodland Memory."

I'm temporarily giving up at this point. :x I just can't seem to get the flow of things. It must be the fan on the desk set at #3.

:eusa-think:

"My Thoughts And I." (No, the men in the white coats would come after me)

"Kahlan" would be it! 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 23 Jul 2018, 20:29

selectortone wrote:
Pinch wrote:I remember cutting twin tenons for mid & bottom rails of doors using a rip saw; cleaning up the haunches using a homemade 'old woman's tooth' from an old piece of teak bannister; :

Lovely memories!

When I did my guitar building course at the Totnes School of Guitarmaking the onus was on hand-tools and tradional luthiery methods. I used a "witches tooth" router plane for the bottom of small channels (for soundhole binding for example). The blade was improvised from hexagonal steel rod (an allen key I think!).

Thanks Terry 8-)

The 'witches tooth' looks much more sophisticated than our primitive 'old woman's tooth'. I remember using an old piece of teak banister to make the block, morticed an angled hole through the centre and adapted an old firmer chisel held in with a teak wedge. Once it was set to the correct depth, it worked really well.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 23 Jul 2018, 20:46

selectortone wrote:My first experience of woodworking was in the first year of grammar school. My dad was the classic all-thumbs when it came to any kind of DIY. We didn't have a tool in the house. He was an RAF officer and if anything went wrong in our married quarters he called an oik to come and fix it. So my first experience of woodworking was turning up, all wide-eyed and expectant, at the woodwork shop of grammar school.

On the first day the woodwork teacher, a VERY nasty piece of work who delighted in hitting us with a piece of batten, gave us all a block of deal (remember when we called pine "deal"?) and told us to plane it down to a specified thickness. I'd never even seen a plane before, never mind used one, and of course I make a complete c_ck up of it. The teacher screamed at me that I was completely useless and mentally scarred me for a long time. After that woodwork classes were purgatory.

It was only in my twenties, when the necessities of young married life and a decrepit terrace house forced me to learn some DIY, that I discovered that I wasn't completely useless. Teachers eh.

That's horrible - the teacher should have been struck off. That would be physical & mental abuse today.

One of my greatest joys in life so far has been the imagination and being able to create from it. The only way I could describe it to a friend years ago, was by using the Walt Disney magical dust castle thing. Every time I experienced one of those eureka moments (or at least I thought it was at the time) and then started sketching it out, I would see the magical dust flickering around as though it was already made. A truly beautiful feeling but difficult to describe.

You're clearly talented and have a passion for wood - good job for the decrepit terrace house which gently nudged you into the direction of creativity. Your old teacher can go and do one... if he's still around that is. He's probably still in the place of purgatory himself. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Jul 2018, 21:10

In defence of other woodwork teachers.....

I did seven years of WW at school with the same teacher. Apart from teaching me, just enough, to pass at O and A level, i.e. all the common joints, tool maintenance and edge sharpening, turning and a bit of theory, I learned how to roll his Old Holburn cigarettes and remembered to take enough tobacco and papers out for me to have two rollups, one at lunch time and one at afternoon break!

We had a business going. He'd raid the evening class stock and commission me to turn bowls, dishes, lamps, lamp standards and even offertory plates that went out to a mission in Africa that the new head mistress was linked with. I earned a little to buy a bit of tobacco each week.

He was responsible for the set creation of all the school plays and so, I was there on stage making up the sets with the dolly actress birds from the upper sixth.

I suppose I was lucky, but he sowed the seed of working with wood in me.....and I gave up smoking 2nd January last year!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby HappyHacker » 23 Jul 2018, 22:18

At 11 I started woodwork in a secondary school. I cannot imagine that these days a class of 32 11 & 12 year olds being allowed to use chisels, saws, etc with only the teacher supervising. The teacher, Mr Kindalin ? would have no hesitation in using the cane for any infringements. He was the school caning expert and usually gave any public canings. He canned me one more than one occasion :)

He had also been a marine radio operator after the war and told us numerous stories of disposing of ammunition in the Irish Sea which included nearly blowing up Belfast and depth charges exploding under his boat after they had been dropped over the side. He also taught a number of us to sail, a pastime I still enjoy today.

Afer three years I changed to metal work and got an O level in it. I have found the basic skills taught in both subjects to have been invaluable over the years.

While politicians talk disparagingly about secondary schools I can say I was lucky to have failed my 11 plus, got 6 O levels and a good education at Secondary school and went to Grammar school to get A levels. Having been to school reunions most of the people in my class appear to have done well for themselves.

I look forward to reading about the fairy with the big bazookas.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby RogerS » 24 Jul 2018, 13:25

Pinch wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Are you thinking? "Down Mammary Lane."

Big Breaths
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Jul 2018, 14:28

RogerS wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Big Breaths

Doctor at Large, Roger, 1957! We've already been there! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 24 Jul 2018, 14:46

Malc2098 wrote:....
He was responsible for the set creation of all the school plays and so, I was there on stage making up the sets with the dolly actress birds from the upper sixth.

That reminds me of my school where responsibility for lighting and sound effects for the school plays was given to a member of the Upper VI. Along with that job came the custodianship and sole use of the lockable 'music room' ...a small room located next to the school hall in which various instruments were kept, the gramophone for playing the National Anthem during assembly, and most importantly an old settee, desk, hot plate. And that was me ! My own little fiefdom.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 26 Jul 2018, 07:06

Out of curiosity, how many of you are in touch with any old classmates from school? None here from my own cohort and just one from the year above.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 26 Jul 2018, 09:41

RogerS wrote:Out of curiosity, how many of you are in touch with any old classmates from school? None here from my own cohort and just one from the year above.

Out of an intake of 90 pupils (three forms of 30) in 1965, we have two deceased that I know of and about 10 that stay in touch and meet up once or twice a year with about 2/3rds attendance which is not too bad after 40 odd years. We are all about 64 years old and virtually all retired now but one is carrying on to see the CrossRail project into service as he is a senior engineer on that programme.

Curiously of the three forms A, B & C, purely based on surname in alphabetic order, we have most from A, some from B and none from C.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Jul 2018, 09:52

Some people from my school set up a reunion at the school in the early naughties before it was to be demolished to make way for a modern building. Ours was a 1930 deco style. Such a shame when it went.

Anyway, at that reunion, some of us decided to try and have lunch a couple of times a year and six of us have been doing it since then. We are now all retired apart from one who got herself elected as a London Borough Councillor last year!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Rod » 26 Jul 2018, 13:23

None now but my wife keeps in touch with some of hers.
I changed schools 3 times and travelled long distances to them which discouraged long term friendships somewhat.
I left university in 1967 when we moved down south and I kept in you touch with a few but over time (and distance) gradually stopped communicating.
When I retired I joined a Retired Engineers Society and met up with an university colleague, unknowingly we lived about 15 miles from each other all this time.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 26 Jul 2018, 14:57

Rod wrote:None now but my wife keeps in touch with some of hers.
I changed schools 3 times and travelled long distances to them which discouraged long term friendships somewhat.
I left university in 1967 when we moved down south and I kept in you touch with a few but over time (and distance) gradually stopped communicating.
When I retired I joined a Retired Engineers Society and met up with an university colleague, unknowingly we lived about 15 miles from each other all this time.

Rod

I went to an event couple of years back involving one of the old TelOB vehicles and found out that one of the old sound guys had been living about five miles away from me.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 26 Jul 2018, 17:03

I am not in touch with anyone from school.
When I left primary school, I went to a different school to all of my classmates, but then when I started my apprenticeship I was reunited with one of my old class mates. As far as I know there has never been any sort of reunion meeting.

I do remember meeting a secondary school classmate, about 5 or 6 years after leaving school, he had not changed very much, but I had long hair and a beard, he had no idea who I was.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat