It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:41

Can you print this out ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Can you print this out ?

Postby RogerS » 29 Jul 2018, 12:55

Just curious. I think that they have done something with the HTML (although I know not what) but we can't print it out on either iMac.

https://www.which.co.uk/elderly-care/fi ... -allowance

Secondary question...does anyone know the answer to the following..

A mother has to go into a care home, so sells her property to fund her stay. Lives for ever. Funding from property finishes. Leaving aside moral issues, can the council or care home come knocking on other relatives door for the money to pay for her care ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Can you print this out ?

Postby 9fingers » 29 Jul 2018, 13:10

No problem here.
Email pdf file sent to your email addy

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby 9fingers » 29 Jul 2018, 13:13

I don't think they can chase relatives under normal circumstances.

I think there can be be some sort of clawback if say the mother has divested herself of most of her net worth to the family before going into care deliberately to get state help but this is rare.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Jul 2018, 13:29

RogerS wrote:.... can the council or care home come knocking on other relatives door for the money to pay for her care ?

Pretty sure the answer to that one is a big fat zero - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Jul 2018, 13:34

9fingers wrote:I don't think they can chase relatives under normal circumstances.

I think there can be be some sort of clawback if say the mother has divested herself of most of her net worth to the family before going into care deliberately to get state help but this is rare.

Bob

There is a way round this by taking out a couple of legal 'fixes' (the names of which escape me :( ) which go a long way to ensure that the money invested in your property can't automatically be grabbed by the authorities for care home fees. We did these cunning 'fixes' years ago when I retired - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 29 Jul 2018, 20:09

can the council or care home come knocking on other relatives door for the money to pay for her care ?

No. Only the property/home of the cared-for is liable to seizure. And, only up to £23k value, so you can have that in a bank acccount and the local Health Authority cannot touch it. If the spouse of the cared-for is still living in their property, full time, it is also exempt and the spouse can continue to live there, unassailed until THEY go into care, at which point, the £23k rule applies.

Offspring, their property and their monetary holdings are exempt too.

Rob, are you thinking of 'held in trust' ? I.e. you no longer own your house, it is "held in trust" for your heirs when you and Mrs Rob go to that eternal celestial holiday park? Ergo, not yours for local bean counters to seize?

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Rod » 29 Jul 2018, 20:12

Yes the answer is no but as your relative will no longer be paying the fees, the Council will more than likely transfer your relation to a cheaper cost home.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 29 Jul 2018, 20:19

Careful Bob! We've been investigating this sneaky, underhand, disreputable, practice rather keenly this last two years (for reasons I've mentioned before) and the various rumours of 'seven year rule' etc etc for looking back through bank accounts for disbursements to offspring seems to hold water.

One legal beagle we saw told us if Local Authority investigated and considered they had 'a good case' for suspected deliberate intent 'to deny funds' by the family, for unspecified years prior to care provision, they (the L.A.) 'would not hesitate to sequestrate'. Catchy little phrase, but bl**dy awful to see your inheritances go to nowt...or £23k to be precise.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Jul 2018, 21:25

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Rob, are you thinking of 'held in trust' ? I.e. you no longer own your house, it is "held in trust" for your heirs when you and Mrs Rob go to that eternal celestial holiday park? Ergo, not yours for local bean counters to seize?

Sam

Nope, I don't think it's that Sam; there's two slightly different things, one of which is a 'Legal Power of Attorney' and I can't remember what the other one's called - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 30 Jul 2018, 09:18

The two lasting powers of attorney that I'm aware of are Property & Financial LPA and Health & Welfare LPA

I'm not sure that either can be used to prevent your home being sold to cover care costs but I could be wrong.

The basic idea is that you nominate trusted persons to take care of the two areas for you should you become not competent to do so. This needs to be done whilst you are in possession of all your marbles.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 30 Jul 2018, 09:22

9fingers wrote:.... This needs to be done whilst you are in possession of all your marbles.

Bob

That rules the Greeks out then :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Jul 2018, 15:11

9fingers wrote:
I'm not sure that either can be used to prevent your home being sold to cover care costs but I could be wrong.

The basic idea is that you nominate trusted persons to take care of the two areas for you should you become not competent to do so. This needs to be done whilst you are in possession of all your marbles.

Bob

As far as I understand, the home can be sold, but if you take out both of these 'fixes' (which we have done but they're called something different now) then only part of the proceeds goes towards care; the remainder goes to the next of kin.

Before my dad died some years ago, the care home swallowed up his half (mum & dad divorced prior) of a three bed detached house in Surrey (so quite a lot of £) and nothing was passed on to either myself or my brothers - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat