It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:31

Best way of nailing joist hangers

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Best way of nailing joist hangers

Postby RogerS » 09 Aug 2018, 19:45

Paslode?

Bostitch with a compressor ?

Hammer ?

If you use something like a Paslode or a Bostitch how do you ensure that the nails go through the predrilled holes ? Does it matter ?

TIA
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Best way of nailing joist hangers

Postby Pinch » 09 Aug 2018, 20:16

In my old chippy days, it was always the good old hammer - a 20oz Estwing shallow claw with a polished face does the job nicely. We used to use 40mm galv wires for fixing. 8-)

I found the best way was to mark out the trimmer (as an example) first, with one squared line at 400 ctrs; fix one side of the hanger to the trimmer, then fix the other side with a joist off cut in the hanger without squeezing too much. Then bend the straps over & down the trimmer, nail fixing as you go. I also used to square line the straps down too, although not necessary.
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby RogerS » 09 Aug 2018, 21:27

Pinch wrote:In my old chippy days, it was always the good old hammer - a 20oz Estwing shallow claw with a polished face does the job nicely. We used to use 40mm galv wires for fixing. 8-)

I found the best way was to mark out the trimmer (as an example) first, with one squared line at 400 ctrs; fix one side of the hanger to the trimmer, then fix the other side with a joist off cut in the hanger without squeezing too much. Then bend the straps over & down the trimmer, nail fixing as you go. I also used to square line the straps down too, although not necessary.

LOL....can I have that in English please :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 10 Aug 2018, 20:06

:lol: :lol: Yep, I see what you mean.

Mark a line across the width or down the height of the piece of timber you're fixing the hangers to (obviously in the correct place) and using the line as your datum, measure 400mm to the next line (assuming your centres are 400mm) and so on down the length of timber. You can now fix one side of the hanger to a line ensuring the line is on the vertical inside edge of the hanger. Now offer an off cut of joist in to the hanger and then fix the other side trying not to squeeze the hanger too much against the off cut. You might want to square up or down a new line to ensure a nice neat perpendicular fixed hanger. Once they're all fixed, turn the timber on to its lower edge and start bending the straps over the timber dressing it with the hammer and nailing as you go. Then lay the timber on to the hanger face (a few blocks will be required) and continue fixing the straps down the rear face of the timber nice and square. Your marking out is the crucial part and making sure you fix the hangers to the correct side of the line and hanger.

Is that a bit better? :lol:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Aug 2018, 21:15

Simples.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Pinch » 11 Aug 2018, 09:48

I can feel a Fagin coming on again... :P

"I'm reviewing... the situation..."

I can't think of an easier way to explain the hanger situation. Where's Mike when you need him. :|

I'll prepare a sketch diagram.

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 11 Aug 2018, 10:45

No need, Pinch. Your second post made it al come clear, ta. I gather the nails are guaranteed to be short enough to hammer your fingers ! Talking it through with my builder, he Paslodes the beams lightly in place then slides the hangers up from underneath and nails them in position.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 11 Aug 2018, 11:09

RogerS wrote:No need, Pinch. Your second post made it al come clear, ta. I gather the nails are guaranteed to be short enough to hammer your fingers ! Talking it through with my builder, he Paslodes the beams lightly in place then slides the hangers up from underneath and nails them in position.

You must know the old trick of holding small nails with a strip of card?

Cut up cereal packets into 1/2" strips. Push a nail through near the end and use the strip to position the nail and hit with the hammer, pull the card to tear off the end and hammer the nail home. Work your way up the cardboard strip for subsequent nails.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 11 Aug 2018, 16:48

Nice tip Bob. Unfortunately my thumbs are shot and I'd have difficulty forcing the nails into the cardboard.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat