It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:01

I Wish I Had a Dashcam

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

I Wish I Had a Dashcam

Postby Rod » 15 Aug 2018, 16:01

Driving home from hospital today, a white van appeared a few feet from my rear bumper.
Negotiating a roundabout I lost him for a brief moment but then he zoomed up behind again.
The road is derestricted but very bendy. Coming round a bend we came up behind a tractor with a forklift device in front doing about 30mph. There’s arrows indicating not to overtake and after another bend a stretch of double white lines on a hill, a downward run and an entrance to an Army Base.
So what does the white van do, pull out from behind me and cross over the double whites to overtake myself and the tractor.
Luckily nothing was coming the other way so he “got away with it”.
I suppose I could have taken his number and reported it but some dashcam footage would have shown the incident far better than a description.
I think the police do take action on dash cam footage??

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: I Wish I Had a Dashcam

Postby RogerS » 15 Aug 2018, 16:09

Yes, I believe that they do. Hopefully white van man will meet a large immovable object like a bridge pillar before too long and so remove him permanently. I have no sympathy for drivers like him.

I had one like your prat a few months back on the A69...dangerous overtaking all the time only to....

.... only to pull into the bloody garage about 1/2 mile further on. I slowed down, took his numberplate and company details and emailed them. Whether or not anything happened I have no idea but at least I tried.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Halo Jones » 15 Aug 2018, 16:25

I also wished I had a dashcam a few weeks ago. Driving home on an A-road and came across a Range Rover trying to overtake 6 or 7 cars. I had to actually come to a complete stop on my side of the road and he only just made it past the cars.

And yes I did shut my eyes for a second or two when I didn't think he was going to make it :o
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Robert » 15 Aug 2018, 16:52

I do have a dashcam and do get to capture some dodgy driving. It records continuously then overwrites the oldest files once the card is full - around 8 hours worth of 1440p resolution.

It crosses my mind to take the card out and save the file but I usually forget about it!

If it was something spectacular rather than just some idiot weaving in and out of lanes etc then I would save it. Fortunately nothing spectacular has happened since I've had the camera and I don't mind if it stays that way.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Pinch » 15 Aug 2018, 16:55

I can't stand these drivers! They have zero respect for other road users or people generally. These people are bullies! Yet, if you give them a taste of their own treatment, they don't like it and rebel with verbal abuse, unsavoury hand gestures and attitude. :twisted:

It won't bother me so much when I'm driving coaches for a living. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Pinch » 15 Aug 2018, 16:59

I was just thinking when writing my post above... I remember Robert posting a short clip of a driver being daft whilst driving on a dual carriageway. All the minibuses I've been driving recently have permanent dash cams and also internal CCTV - coaches are the same these days, in fact, most commercials are. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat