It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:19

How many of you don't get a decent mobile signal ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

How many of you don't get a decent mobile signal ?

Postby RogerS » 18 Aug 2018, 14:14

And do you do much online purchasing ?

If the answer to both is 'Yes' then enjoy it while you can because thanks to the sodding interfering EU, there is a new directive coming in..think I might have mentioned it before but it has a name now..

PSD2 (Revised Payment Service Directive).

In essence, you are not going to be allowed to use just a password like you do sometimes with SecureCode (Mastercard) or Visa's equivalent. OK...you might just see the screen flash up and disappear and that's because Mastercard are making the decision for you that the transaction is OK...but the writing is on the wall.

The bare minimum being talked about is OTP (One Time Passcode) ..an SMS sent to your phone..So no mobile signal, no more internet shopping.

There's even talk of being asked to take a selfie on your smartphone as proof that it is you. Or your fingerprint.

That's the third instance today of companies making life difficult. First was Santander insisting that you have to use a mobile phone to bank with them....LOML has Power of Attorney over her mothers' finances and recent events have led her to exercise this. Her mother banks with Santander.

Second, Amazon who expect everyone to have a smartphone and know what a QR scan in order to get a Returns Label organised. Yeah, I know...I've got both but what about those who don't.

Hell. Handbasket.

I'm gonna sell up and become a hermit on a Pacific island with dusky maidens pandering to my every whim.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: How many of you don't get a decent mobile signal ?

Postby Jimmy Mack » 18 Aug 2018, 14:43

Is this the same as 2FA (two factor authentication)?

I use Google 2FA on various sites, it generates a code that is live for about 15 seconds... before generating another.... requires a data connection of course

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Aug 2018, 15:01

Jimmy Mack wrote:Is this the same as 2FA (two factor authentication)?

I use Google 2FA on various sites, it generates a code that is live for about 15 seconds... before generating another.... requires a data connection of course

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Yup...good as.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 18 Aug 2018, 15:15

Sometimes it helps not to have a computer. A friend of mine got a cold call from a scammer saying “hello Mr ******, your computer is not up to date” to which my friend replied, ”sod off I don’t have a computer” before putting the phone down. :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Deejay » 18 Aug 2018, 15:50

Afternoon Roger
So no mobile signal, no more internet shopping.

Only via your mobile.

My landline has an SMS service which receives texts, converts them to voice and then calls me.

It seems to be included with the line rental. I don't make a separate payment for it.

I don't have a smartphone, so if they start asking for selfies or fingerprints, I'll be beggared.

I didn't realise that Santander insisted on a mobile number. The next time I log on, I'll see what happens if I try change my contact to a landline number.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby RogerS » 18 Aug 2018, 16:06

Deejay wrote:Afternoon Roger
So no mobile signal, no more internet shopping.

Only via your mobile.

???

Deejay wrote:My landline has an SMS service which receives texts, converts them to voice and then calls me.

It seems to be included with the line rental. I don't make a separate payment for it.

Most of them do but the EU says that landlines aren't secure. As if mobile phones are more secure. But then when did one expect any sort of intelligence out of the EU ?

Deejay wrote:I didn't realise that Santander insisted on a mobile number. The next time I log on, I'll see what happens if I try change my contact to a landline number.

Cheers

Dave

I'd be interested to hear as well. Maybe your account is an older one pre-mobile-madness ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 18 Aug 2018, 21:39

Mobile signal? No idea. If I ever get a mobile I'll let you know.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Aug 2018, 23:19

RogerS wrote: First was Santander insisting that you have to use a mobile phone to bank with them....LOML has Power of Attorney over her mothers' finances and recent events have led her to exercise this. Her mother banks with Santander.

Roger, I think you might beperhaps misinformed or that Santander has changed their policy.

I opened an account with Santander on Friday and when asked for a mobile number, I declined to give it saying I preferred financial communication in writing (email etc) or if urgent to my landline and this was accepted.
There was no mention that services would be limited unless I supplied a mobile no.

The account should be up and running early next week so I can see if it is at all compromised.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rod » 18 Aug 2018, 23:57

Santander use your mobile phone to confirm online payments.
If paying someone by bank transfer they send you a code which you confirm back to them as verification.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 19 Aug 2018, 00:06

Barclays use an electronic gizmo that generates a PIN number to confirm access and payments so no use of mobile phones there.
I used to have something similar to log into my firms network when out and about.
Perhaps these will comply?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 19 Aug 2018, 02:35

We’ve got 3 Santander accounts between us and none ‘need’ a mobile. I think you’re potentially misinformed there Roger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 19 Aug 2018, 05:01

My bad explanation. Rod has hit the nail on the head.

Anyway, that's an aside. The main point is that if you do internet shopping and don't have a mobile signal then you are stuffed.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby paulrees1 » 19 Aug 2018, 06:34

I use 2fa (two factor authentication) daily for work with no mobile signal (deep valley no masts).

It uses an app on the phone that doesn’t need the phone to be connected to anything

paulrees1
Seedling

Name:

Postby Doug » 19 Aug 2018, 06:43

RogerS wrote:My bad explanation. Rod has hit the nail on the head.

Anyway, that's an aside. The main point is that if you do internet shopping and don't have a mobile signal then you are stuffed.

Not really, my bank does the same as Rod has explained but I have very poor mobile signal at home, the simple answer is to use WiFi calling on my phone which negates the need for a mobile signal.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 19 Aug 2018, 08:28

Doug wrote:
RogerS wrote:My bad explanation. Rod has hit the nail on the head.

Not really, my bank does the same as Rod has explained but I have very poor mobile signal at home, the simple answer is to use WiFi calling on my phone which negates the need for a mobile signal.

Not all the mobile networks offer wifi calling and certainly many of the outfits that piggyback on a third-party network don't either. Besides, you need to have a smartphone. And in Mike's case, a phone !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 19 Aug 2018, 08:29

paulrees1 wrote:I use 2fa (two factor authentication) daily for work with no mobile signal (deep valley no masts).

It uses an app on the phone that doesn’t need the phone to be connected to anything

That won't be adopted by either Visa or Mastercard, for sure. Assuming it is an easily available app and not one specific to your company.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 19 Aug 2018, 08:33

Mike G wrote:Mobile signal? No idea. If I ever get a mobile I'll let you know.

:text-bravo:
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 19 Aug 2018, 08:36

TrimTheKing wrote:We’ve got 3 Santander accounts between us and none ‘need’ a mobile. I think you’re potentially misinformed there Roger.

Of course if it's just a savings account, whatever but if you actually want to run an online current account and actually pay anyone then .....

santander.png
(99.96 KiB)

Other 'normal' banks accept landlines as well. Lloyds, for instance, let's you choose home, work and mobile.

So if, as in LOML's case, her mother has two Santander accounts and LOML needs to set up some online payments, it's virtually impossible. Any company that makes assumptions as to the technology one has available sucks IMO.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 19 Aug 2018, 08:38

Mike G wrote:Mobile signal? No idea. If I ever get a mobile I'll let you know.

He uses his other half's mobile phone instead ;) :lol:

Seriously, no-one Chez Mike does internet shopping ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Deejay » 19 Aug 2018, 08:40

Morning all

What I meant was that landlines can receive text messages so you can still get an OTP via a landline.
However, what I didn't consider was the nature of OTP's.

OTP's are, as far as I know, 'random' collections of alphanumeric characters. The software used to convert from text to voice is designed for speech. Upper and lower case sound the same. Numeral 1 followed by 2 gets interpreted as 'twelve' and 'dey' comes out as the three letter word 'day'. For OTP's it's as useful as a chocolate teapot.

That alone probably explains why I can only change my existing mobile OTP number to another mobile number on the Santander site. I suppose they think that people who use Internet banking are bound to have the latest telecomm's facilities. In fairness to Santander, most of them probably do. I note that in the dialogue page for changing my mobile contact number there is a box to tick to use it as my primary contact number.

The absence of a mobile phone number will restrict the facilities offered by Santander. I'd be interested to know how for example you can set up a new standing order without one.

The fact that there are people like me with a PAYGO mobile kept in the glove box in case of a breakdown and that mobile coverage is provided on a commercial basis rather than a uniform public service, probably doesn't enter their heads. If / when they start demanding fingerprints or selfies, I'll be stuffed. :?

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby RogerS » 19 Aug 2018, 08:47

Deejay wrote:...... I suppose they think that people who use Internet banking are bound to have the latest telecomm's facilities. In fairness to Santander, most of them probably do......
Dave

They might have a mobile phone, true.

Santanders arrogance is that they also have a mobile signal.

Lloyds's system is far more robust in that you are given four onscreen digits and you enter those into your phone- be it mobile or landline. Simples. Now why couldn't the muppets at Santander think of that. Or the bloody EU. Or Mastercard. Or Visa.

if anything happened to SWMBO I think I might very well become a Jain.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 19 Aug 2018, 08:48

Mind you, bit too bloody cold up here for that :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Aug 2018, 15:20

As I'm nearing the end of my contract with Three (and the signal indoors is very iffy) I looked around at other mobile providers and Vodafone reckon that I can get 4G indoors (through all my foil-bakced plasterboard :eusa-think: ). Anyway since they offer a 30-day network guarantee I had nothing to lose.

So a Nearly-New Samsung arrived today and I ran it alongside the Huawei from Three. Did what it said on the tin! And in the workshop where I have double-sided foam insulation, it seamlessly moved over to wi-fi calling whereas with Three you have to make sure that the app is running.

So I have a 30-day window to put it through its paces.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 23 Aug 2018, 16:14

I’ve been on Three PAYG for several years. I bought the iPhone up front, about £360 at the time and the calls, text and data has cost me about £10 a year. Yes, you read that right, £10 a Year. Obviously I’m not a regular user but I’m not shy about looking up stuff on the net and logging into FB and Strava etc when needed. Texts cost me 2p. The GPS has also come in very handy. The signal for Three is not that good where I live but it’s not a problem since they introduced WiFi calling. Also being at home I have the landline anyway. Top ups on Three come in two flavours, one lasts forever until used up or you can get extra minutes but it expires in a month if not used,I buy the former. Before Three I was on O2 for a while and they were ok but expensive then I had a contract with Vodaphone who kept putting the price up, they were a nightmare and make it very difficult to get out of the contract, never again.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Aug 2018, 16:33

Woodster wrote:I’ve been on Three PAYG for several years. I bought the iPhone up front, about £360 at the time and the calls, text and data has cost me about £10 a year. Yes, you read that right, £10 a Year. Obviously I’m not a regular user but I’m not shy about looking up stuff on the net and logging into FB and Strava etc when needed. Texts cost me 2p. The GPS has also come in very handy. The signal for Three is not that good where I live but it’s not a problem since they introduced WiFi calling. Also being at home I have the landline anyway. Top ups on Three come in two flavours, one lasts forever until used up or you can get extra minutes but it expires in a month if not used,I buy the former. Before Three I was on O2 for a while and they were ok but expensive then I had a contract with Vodaphone who kept putting the price up, they were a nightmare and make it very difficult to get out of the contract, never again.

It's a good point and I've had excellent customer service from Three and I do like them.

I'm having to rethink this as the old brain cells are not what they were and I need to go back to basics as to why I'm thinking of changing.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat