It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:36

Amazon Hack

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Amazon Hack

Postby Rod » 27 Sep 2018, 19:09

I got a text from my credit card co. asking me to identify a number of purchases - most I’d not made so they cancelled my card and sent me a new one.
When I could eventually get onto my account I found a couple more from Amazon that I hadn’t made.
Then followed several hours phoning Amazon and the CC co. who seem to be based in India .
Had to convince Amazon a bit that I hadn’t made the purchases and then they acknowledge that they had been bought by a different person not living at my address.
Logged onto my CC account this afternoon to find some more purchases had been made on the card that was supposed to be cancelled!!
More phone calls to India with more assurances that it would be sorted out.
The bank told me that they came suspicious when a payment for £1 was made followed by one for £1500 then £10.32 from Tesco. They hadn’t spotted the Amazon purchases and they had gone through.
I can understand that a thief might guess a number but how the pin that must have been required at Tesco.
I haven’t dared give the new card to Amazon or use it elsewhere.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Amazon Hack

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Sep 2018, 19:37

They wouldn't need the PIN, just the CVV...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodster » 27 Sep 2018, 19:41

I got a call from a nice lady in Canada one day asking if I’d ordered a few hundred dollars worth of Tee Shirts to be delivered to an address in New York. Having said no she suggested I cancel my credit card! How she got my mobile number is a mystery, I guess she got it from my credit card company? I’m glad she did though. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 27 Sep 2018, 20:58

But where would they get the CVV from - somewhere were I’d used it before?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 Sep 2018, 21:31

Rod wrote:But where would they get the CVV from - somewhere were I’d used it before?

Rod

Yes...an online purchase. Companies are not supposed to store the CVV but they do. Then when their database gets hacked, bingo.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 27 Sep 2018, 22:25

My card got blocked the other day - Visa detected a fraudulent transaction for £10k Glad they were on the ball BUT

Only problem is they did not tell my card provider, Nationwide, or me so 3 days later, I'm trying to do a transaction online and it failed. I could have easily been in a restaurant or filling station which would have been far more awkward

I could not make Nationwide see that they should have been told by visa immediately to they could tell me.

Took over a week to get a new card but like Rod, more transactions that were in the pipeline on the old card got allowed through - fortunately these were all genuine.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby HappyHacker » 27 Sep 2018, 22:38

I had a phone call from my bank asking if I had made a purchase from Netflix on my business debit card which I had not plus a couple of other purchases I had not made from sex sites. They had detected potential fraud and stoped it and sent me a new card. Unfortunately the debit for Netflix continued to go through each subsequent month, so I got a second replacement card. Then after the third payment I was getting paranoid about how they were getting my details even though I had not used the new card. After another wait to talk to the fraud team, I was getting on first name terms with them, they worked out that Netflix was just putting through a request for payment each month and despite the card changing they still paid it.

I am very careful with my card but online purchases are always a risk, even if a database is not hacked there are often people involved somewhere.

I am registered with CIFAX after someone tried to open a bank account in my name. One day I received details of my new bank account from Halifax with details of how to set up my internet account access. The next day I got details of my overdraft facilities. I phoned them up to ask what it was all about as I had not asked for an account. After a wait they came back and said they had detected a problem and had already stopped the account but I would continue getting stuff for a few days as it was already in the system. The next day I got my debit card! A week later I got a letter saying it had all been cancelled.

CIFAX registration requires that I provide photo ID for any credit type arrangement and I have had two letters saying someone has tried to open an account with different banks in my name but they have not allowed it.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Rod » 27 Sep 2018, 23:50

This is what I’ve recd from Amazon tonight:

“I've investigated the charge made to your payment card and can confirm that it was the result of the unauthorised use of your card number.

Please contact the bank that issued this payment card and report the charge as unauthorised.

We recommend that you have this card cancelled and reissued to prevent any future unauthorised use. We also encourage you to report the crime to the police. We'll gladly co-operate with your bank and with the police if they contact us.

To receive a refund, you'll need to contact the bank that issued the card. The bank will send you some paperwork to sign to verify any unauthorised charge. Your bank will then pass the appropriate paperwork to us.

Although we're not permitted to provide you with any further details regarding the unauthorised charge to your payment card, please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions.

I hope this helps. We hope to see you again soon.”

From this it seems they don’t contact the police but expect me to do so but they are the losers, someone has gone off with a few hundred pounds of their goods - but then again they are so large it’s just a drop in the ocean.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 28 Sep 2018, 06:44

Kevin...many thanks for that CIFAX link as I'd not heard of it.

Bob...I have long given up trying to explain to any customer service agent in any financial institute something that to you and me is perfectly logical and/or an improvement to their systems.

There have also been quite a few studies and reports highlighting the fact that attention spans have been falling thanks (?) to the twitterati/faecebook/tinder/swipe-this-way/swipe-that-way/move-on/don't-stop/next-please/gotta-go populus. Might explain a few things.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby justaskin » 28 Sep 2018, 07:03

Excuse me for being disbelieving.
I have trawled through the web looking for this CIFAX and can't find anything related to security, the the suggestion which does ring true is CIFAS.

Richard
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Postby RogerS » 28 Sep 2018, 07:26

justaskin wrote:Excuse me for being disbelieving.
I have trawled through the web looking for this CIFAX and can't find anything related to security, the the suggestion which does ring true is CIFAS.

Richard

Interesting. S and X are close together on the keyboard which explains things. Having said that looking at CIFAS it seems to imply that it is designed for businesses and not individuals.

Kevin...are you registered via your business ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby selectortone » 28 Sep 2018, 10:13

I've had this happen to me too.

It was a Nationwide Visa debit card. The first I knew of it was receiving a letter from Nationwide saying they suspected fraudulent activity had been attempted and asking me to ring their fraud dept. They write rather that telephoning now because of all the telephone scams asking people for credit card details, bank acct PINS, etc. (I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that...) I called them and they asked me if I'd attempted to buy something from Sports Direct in Northampton. (I hadn't)

I suspect my card details, including the CVV, were gleaned from the major hack Currys admitted to being a victim of recently. I believe they were storing CVVs, although they are not supposed to. I got an email from Currys a couple of months ago saying my details were among those stolen in the hack.

Or it might have been from the massive Yahoo hack a few years ago where hundreds of millions of sets of account details were stolen - I used to have a BT email account and BT used Yahoo as their email carrier.

Or it could be any dodgy cashier at a convenience store or petrol station or wherever who steals a glance at your CVV. They have your card details from their transaction record.

Or a keylogging virus on your computer.

Or...... Or.....

The main inconvenience for me was waiting for a replacement card and then having to change my payment details for ebay, paypal, Amazon etc.

My daughter has had the same thing happen to her. It seems to be absolutely rampant these days. I'd like to get one of those miserable scrotes in a room with a baseball bat.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Sep 2018, 12:14

RogerS wrote:

Richard

Interesting. S and X are close together on the keyboard which explains things. Having said that looking at CIFAS it seems to imply that it is designed for businesses and not individuals.

There's literally a big button right in the middle of the homepage that says 'Individuals' on it! :lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 28 Sep 2018, 15:19

TrimTheKing wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Richard

There's literally a big button right in the middle of the homepage that says 'Individuals' on it! :lol:

:oops:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 28 Sep 2018, 15:35

Sorry it was either my fingers or autocricket. It should be CIFAS. I am registered as the first attempt at impersonation the bank concerned informed CIFAS. Subsequent attempts also resulted in CIFAS being informed.

I believe that if you want to register for their service in order to prevent fraud they make a charge but I have not looked into it for some time. I was involved with the credit department of a mail order drip payment company many years ago and they had a number of people claiming that they had not purchased the goods, they always recommended they register with CIFAS.

It did cause me problems once when I was dog sitting for my daughter in Sheffield and went to Meadowhall to get a new phone contract. I tried a number of phone companies as I was told that there was a problem with their credit department and it was not going through. Eventually 3 (the company) said I needed a passport or other photo ID as I was on the CIFAS register, I replied I did not think I needed a passport to enter Yorkshire and we all had a laugh. I think things have improved since then but it does prove it works. I am still with 3.

On the subject of the mail order company. They had a sofa returned because it was second hand and filthy. As it would have been impossible to deliver a second hand sofa they sent an investigator out. The customer invited him in and showed them into the sitting room where he sat on a new sofa exactly like the one that had been ordered. He commented on the nice sofa and was told that it had been bought after the faulty one was returned. He asked for a cup of tea and while the customer was making it he looked at the labels which showed it was the same make and model of sofa as had been ordered with the same manufacturing number of the sofa delivered to the warehouse. He commented on the model being the same to the customer and asked where it had been purchased form. The customer made up a supplier but when told this make/model of sofa was only available from the mail order company and there was a complete paper trail of the sofa being manufactured to being put on the companies own van for delivery by their own driver and assistant the customer confessed to fraud.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat