It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:20

Pure schadenfreude

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Pure schadenfreude

Postby RogerS » 14 Oct 2018, 08:21

I cracked up laughing when I read about this

yale-smart-security-app-crash-left-people-locked-out-of-their-homes-for-24-hours

https://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/30 ... r-24-hours

Pure schadenfreude.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Pure schadenfreude

Postby HappyHacker » 14 Oct 2018, 16:01

Unfortunately marketing has overtaken the ability of technology to deliver in this as well as many other areas.

Anyone relying on technology for door locking security without spending a considerable amount of money is asking for trouble as the owners of many stolen cars have found out.

I find it very funny though :)
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Rod » 14 Oct 2018, 19:19

After 30 odd years, I have finally been persuaded to install a plastic composite outside door. The sad thing is that you don’t seem to be able to lock the lock off like the old Yale’s so there is the danger to lock yourself out!
I’ll be gladly happy to hear otherwise.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 15 Oct 2018, 09:40

Rod wrote:After 30 odd years, I have finally been persuaded to install a plastic composite outside door. The sad thing is that you don’t seem to be able to lock the lock off like the old Yale’s so there is the danger to lock yourself out!
I’ll be gladly happy to hear otherwise.

Rod

I am far from being an expert but having worked in a lot of houses with plastic doors some require the key in the outside to work and others do not, when I forget which is which when getting stuff from the van I have often been locked out and had to ring the door bell to get back in. I have always assumed it was the design of the individual door lock mechanism. On my conservatory doors they do not lock unless you turn the handle to engage the deadbolts and turn the key, there is no option to change this. I have replaced the Euro barrels in a number of locks and this does not affect the way the door lock mechanism works. You may be stuck with it. You could install a key safe somewhere outside so you can get in when the inevitable happens :)
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Robert » 15 Oct 2018, 09:52

Seems to be 2 types of composite door locks. Most latch so they are basic locked when you close the door - no deadbolts/hooks out. Ours are like that. My bro in law has a door where it latches but does not lock so you could just walk in if the door was simply closed. That means they are always using the key inside and visitors have to ask to be let out the front door.

To not lock ourselves out if stepping outside briefly we throw the handle up so the deadbolts prevent the door from closing fully. the draught strips usually hold it in its nearly closed position.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Dave1w » 16 Oct 2018, 08:21

My composite front door has the usual double glazed front door handle and lock where you push the handle up to engage the bolts around the door.
I replaced the Euro barrel with thumb operated barrel in the inside as I feel it is safer to unlock in an emergency from inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave1w
Seedling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 16 Oct 2018, 16:46

Our old plastic door could easily be opened from the outside unless you put the key in the lock inside and locked it, a very poor situation. Our new aluminium door locks itself when you shut it whether you like it or not so you better have a key if you go out in case the wind blows it shut! If you leave the key in the lock inside and shut the door you can’t get back inside because the key won’t go all the way in from outside. I suspect if you hit the outside key hard enough it may displace the inside key enough to rotate but I haven’t tried it. We just make sure never to leave the key in the lock if we’re both going out! When I had spare keys cut the locksmith said the keys came from a very good lock.

Composite doors - apparently some are very easy to get through with a few blows from a hammer or other heavy object. The more expensive composite doors are much more difficult to defeat.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Oct 2018, 17:13

Meanwhile back on the original topic ..... :eusa-shhh:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat